Recently purchased movies / tv series

Trent B

I don't know what is this film but i love the packaging! (Y)

i have a question in case there is anyone here that will buy the German digibook of Schindler's List. (i asked about this in bluray.com but no reply so far)

Is the digibook in English or German?

It's a famous, or rather influential, French New Wave film. Criterion's blu of it just went out of print the other day. It sounded interesting but not enough for me to blind buy it at full price.

I have no info about this but the War Horse book was in German I think, so there's a good chance it'll be in German I suppose.

It's a famous, or rather influential, French New Wave film. Criterion's blu of it just went out of print the other day. It sounded interesting but not enough for me to blind buy it at full price.

Normal price is much higher but since no one is interested they are going away for 9.99 Euro.

I have no info about this but the War Horse book was in German I think, so there's a good chance it'll be in German I suppose.

Oh, was there a War Horse digibook release? I wasn't aware of that.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Picked up Under Siege for 2.38 yesterday, not bad for a new bluray. Sure it's Steven Segal but it's a decent action film in the same vein as the far superior Die Hard. but it does have the advantage of being on a battleship. A lot of it is filmed on the USS Alabama which stands in for the real Missouri. You can actually visit both ships.

Picked up Under Siege for 2.38 yesterday, not bad for a new bluray. Sure it's Steven Segal but it's a decent action film in the same vein as the far superior Die Hard. but it does have the advantage of being on a battleship. A lot of it is filmed on the USS Alabama which stands in for the real Missouri. You can actually visit both ships.

That's a solid action movie. Die Hard on a boat is exactly what it is.

The Hunt For Red October is just a movie which I've always wanted to see but never managed to for some reason, that's all.

Anyway, I just ordered this for £7: http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/looney-tunes-complete-golden-collection-volumes-1-6-dvd-7-00-delivered-amazon-1563675

That's SEVEN POUNDS!!!

I prefer the sequel. The villians aren't as interesting in #2 but love the train action.

but you're a train fan. I get that, but for me it's on a battleship. Skyscrapers, planes, and Navy ships are things I go nuts over.

Damnit! Amazon cancelled my order for the mispriced Looney Tunes box set.

Really? Amazon always fulfills price errors. Maybe on not that large of a scale as I assume there were many orders.

I just bought "The Day The Earth Stood Still" on Blu-ray for £5.99 (about $9). It's in dts Master Audio 5.1, and it has an isolated score.

Bar- and indeed- gain!!!

Of course I mean the original! (rolls eyes)

it is a near perfect film. the acting is superb.

not a bit. Wise's best film.

I see that Humanoids from the Deep is down to 11 bucks. might have to get that.

That it is. It also has a brilliant anti-war message: "have a go at us, and we'll pummel you". Michael Rennie is superb, with just the right amount of compassion and allof-ness. The score (in dts 5.1, no less) is fantastic, and is my favourite Herrmann score.

• 4 weeks later...

Today, in the store, I saw Prometheus for 4.99 Euro. Needless to say, I left it there. I did hesitate about Dredd, which was 11.99 Euro. Still a tiny bit too much.

Alex

^ I watched Besson's "The Big Blue" (extended cut) yesterday. ;)

Anyway,

I bought this yesterday:

63211_large.jpg

and in a few days I'll be buying this steelbook which is a limited Zavvi Exclusive for anyone interested to get it:

70397_large.jpg

and I'm waiting for these in September:

72905_large.jpg72911_large.jpg72910_large.jpg

Unfortunately I missed the Roger Rabbit one:

64275_large.jpg

Our local DVD rental place is going out of business. They've got a fantastic collection, so while I'm sad to see them go, it presents a great opportunity for cheap DVDs.

So, I got Hairspray (the recent musical one) and Dracula 1979. They didn't have West Side Story, so I went ahead and bought a used copy of this: http://www.amazon.com/West-Story-Special-Edition-Collectors/dp/B00008972S/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1372979841&sr=8-3&keywords=west+side+story+dvd

Were you referring to Children of Paradise? If so, I blind-bought it during Criterion's sale, watched it, and loved it. So good, even more that it was on sale.

I haven't bought much in the past few months, just a few titles here and there. Might as well lump them in one list (no Blu-rays):

Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters

Following

Empire of Passion

Hugo

Children of Paradise

Your Highness

Let me say I didn't pay much for the less-than-stellar ones.

Today I'm going to buy Luc Besson's debut movie The Final Battle (Le Dernier Combat) . It's a science fiction movie in B&W and without dialog. Price is only 4.90 Euro.

See details here:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Last-Battle-Blu-ray/5812/

1910_2_zps2f095332.jpg

Alex

That's odd. I'm sure I posted this in the Blu-ray thread.

(If not, then it's getting confusing. Perhaps it's time to merge the two threads: DVD and Blu-ray finally together! Equality for everyone!)

Alex

Only Blus I've bought in a while are The Rocketeer and John Carter when they were on sale recently at Amazon. Still paid way over my average buying point for blus, but Disney titles rarely are found cheap so I splurged. Plus Newbury Comics doesn't seem to be doing their B1G1Free Used sales as often as they used to anymore.

(If not, then it's getting confusing. Perhaps it's time to merge the two threads: DVD and Blu-ray finally together! Equality for everyone!)

I think they've been merged. Which is why I just spent 5 minutes reading months old entries in this thread before realising that they're from April. I find this constant unannounced merging pretty annoying, it plays havoc with the "newest unread post" links.

I don't understand the confusion. This thread is for posting recently purchase movies (regardless of format), exactly like the Recently Purchase Soundtracks thread, and the Recently Purchased Items thread.

The Blu-Ray thread is to discuss upcoming Blu Rays, and sales / bargains for Blu Rays.

Seems perfect to me.

I think they've been merged. Which is why I just spent 5 minutes reading months old entries in this thread before realising that they're from April. I find this constant unannounced merging pretty annoying, it plays havoc with the "newest unread post" links.

I agree. Who is doing it? I also don't get how secretly putting posts in other threads isn't confusing. The 'Recently Purchased Movies' thread has never been about Blu-rays and now Jason says it always was about Blu-ray. Sorry, it's enough to drive a man nuts.

Alex

Were you referring to Children of Paradise? If so, I blind-bought it during Criterion's sale, watched it, and loved it. So good, even more that it was on sale.

No, was talking about Last Year At Marienbad.

I also think there should just be the all encompassing "Blu-ray" thread.

I bought Redford's A River Runs Through it for only 2 Euro. I was also temped to buy Coppola's The Conversation but it was 15 Euro so I didn't do it. Damn!

Yea, eventhing goes on sale eventually if you have patience you can always find stuff for under $15 / 15 Euro somewhere, except for elaborate box sets and Disney titles

Is A River Runs Through It a good movie?

Yea, which is why I recently picked up The Rocketeer for $14.99, I wanted to watch it again and knew I would be unlikely to find it for less than that any time soon.

Yea, eventhing goes on sale eventually if you have patience you can always find stuff for under $15 / 15 Euro somewhere, except for elaborate box sets and Disney titles

I don't remember it to be good but who knows it might look good in HD. After all, the movie won an Oscar for the cinematography, I believe.

oh, did you see my post here? i watched it yesterday!

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20559&p=915834

I guess it's not a film for everyone and I wouldn't suggest a blind buy, although I loved the film.

(if you liked Legends of the Fall, I think you'll like this too)

The quality of the picture is excellent!