Superman cues

ferper

Sorry if this has been already posted but I did a search and couldn't find a message that answered my question.

Ok, as you all already know, the 4DVD Special Edition of Superman contains music-only audio track on disc 2 and additional music cues on disc 3.

My question is, are these cues already available at the 2CD Superman release or in any unofficial release?

In other words, should I extract the music from those discs (if some of the cues are unreleased) and in that case, does anyone has title for these cues?

Also, the Making Superman: Filming the Legend has some brief excerpts with Williams about the music and he also comments on other aspects of the film, very briefly, as part of the other comments.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is an alternate "Can You Read My Mind" on the DVD that is not on the Rhino.

The isolated score is edited to match the picture. Even the main title is pitched up on the isolated track. There is stuff missing on that which is on the Rhino.

The bonus cues on disc 3 have some curious editing decisions. If I'm not mistaken, it reversed the order of "More Mugger" and "Lex Luthor's Lair" and the main title is a new edit, too.

Neil

The bonus cues on disc 3 have some curious editing decisions. If I'm not mistaken, it reversed the order of "More Mugger" and "Lex Luthor's Lair" and the main title is a new edit, too.

I think someone was confused with the slate numbers here. More Mugger is 7M1, Introducing Otis is 6M2/7M1. Quite why they didn't watch the film to check I don't know...

The Main Title assembly is incorrect. It uses 'New 1M1 Part 1' (the Daily Planet prologue), skips 'New 1M1 Part 2' (the short insert between the prologue and the march) and segues to the alternate main title with the lengthy march/fanfare buildup which the prologue was designed to replace.

There is an alternate "Can You Read My Mind" on the DVD that is not on the Rhino.

The isolated score is edited to match the picture. Even the main title is pitched up on the isolated track. There is stuff missing on that which is on the Rhino.

Neil

Thank you Neil. I just got this set and listening to the bonus 3.

The Superman Cinema UK presented an extensive review on the Rhino 2CD:

http://www.supermancinema.co.uk/superman1/...cle/index.shtml

On the DVD music-only cues, they say: "The DVD features the isolated score, and includes 8 alternate tracks, some of which are not on the Rhino 2 CD soundtrack. At the time, the soundtrack producers were unable to locate the COMPLETE 6 track masters, but were found by the DVD team."

I will check the cues more carefully and probably will extract the disc 3 cues.

Regards

Fernando

It's different than the pop version found on the Rhino.

Neil

Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere, but speaking of SUPERMAN, is anyone curious about the John Williams cues which showed up on THE RICHARD DONNER CUT of SUPERMAN II, and which have never been heard elsewhere before (save for Ken Thorne's orchestrations of those cues in Lester's SUPERMAN II)?

Yeah, it would have been nice if some more unreleased cues were included in the DVD set expanding on what was released on the initial DVD. It's obvious that they had them.

Neil

The Rhino 2CD set doesn't contain everything that was recorded. It does have everything heard in the film except the opening two bars of the Mugger cue.

There are some alternate cues in the earlier part of the film which are not on the CD. Funny enough, you hear shortened versions of them in Superman II (during the attack on the astronauts and the battle in the streets of Manhattan). There are alternate cues for Baby's Trip to Earth, The Dome Rises, and the rising of the Fortress of Solitude.

Yeah, it would have been nice if some more unreleased cues were included in the DVD set expanding on what was released on the initial DVD. It's obvious that they had them.

Neil

I'm pretty sure the Rhino 2 c.d. set is complete.Some have said the DVD iso track sounds better though,but ihaven't checked

It does. A lot better. In fact, it sounds like it was recorded yesterday. Unfortunately, it has all the edits, the pitch thing, and a lot of reverb.

Here are the cues from disc 3:

- Main Titles 6:07

- Main Titles Alternate 3:48

- The Council's Decision 7:54

- The Kripton Quake 2:24

- More from Mugger / Introducing Otis 7:18

- Air Force One 1:24

- Chasing Rockets 3:38

- Can you Read my Mind (pop version) 3:03

Using Superman UK's impressive article, here are the corresponding names with the Rhino 2CD:

The Council's Decision = Destruction of Krypton

The Kripton Quake = Star Ship Escapes

More from Mugger = Welcome to Metropolis

Introducing Otis = Lex Luthor's Lair

Air Force One & Cat Rescue = Super Rescues

Regards

Fernando

post-1546-1194545860_thumb.jpg

post-1546-1194545881_thumb.jpg

Neil

Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere, but speaking of SUPERMAN, is anyone curious about the John Williams cues which showed up on THE RICHARD DONNER CUT of SUPERMAN II, and which have never been heard elsewhere before (save for Ken Thorne's orchestrations of those cues in Lester's SUPERMAN II)?

In the use of williams score on S2 , there is very short unused music, when after the crash of the young sups space ship, he opens it , when the phantom zone explode, and the big question is : Who have composed the track of the moon encounters when Non crash the shuttle , this piece is located also during the fight in Metropolis ...Williams or Thorne ???

Using Superman UK's impressive article, here are the corresponding names with the Rhino 2CD:

Regards

Fernando

I'm curious, whats the sound quality like?

Regards

Fernando

How can you praise the sound of the isolated score track and not know about these cues? They're on the same disc.

Neil

Neil

I agree. That astounds me. This is music by Williams never, ever heard before and that it was used for Donner's SUPERMAN II warrants some sort of commercial release.

Neil

In the use of williams score on S2 , there is very short unused music, when after the crash of the young sups space ship, he opens it , when the phantom zone explode, and the big question is : Who have composed the track of the moon encounters when Non crash the shuttle , this piece is located also during the fight in Metropolis ...Williams or Thorne ???

I think everything we hear on Donner's SUPERMAN II is conducted by Williams.

Superman II was done by Ken Thorne. Thorne just adapted Williams original themes and some music for the film and I'm sure that's all they used for the Donner cut. I doubt Williams composed any new stuff for the Donner cut.

Regards

Fernando

How can you praise the sound of the isolated score track and not know about these cues? They're on the same disc.

Neil

I got a DVD rip of the iso track

• 3 months later...

Regards

Fernando

Neil

I got a DVD rip of the iso track

Thanks to FSM, we now can get everything we want discussed in this thread...including the stuff (I presume) heard on the SUPERMAN II: THE RICHARD DONNER CUT.