• Raiders of the Lost Ark 1981
    • E.T. the Extra Terrestrial 1982
    • Accidental Tourist 1988
    • Born on the Fourth of July 1989
    • JFK 1991
    • Schindler's List 1993
    • Saving Private Ryan 1997
    • Munich 2007

This is a poll that the Empire Strikes Back cannot win.

Pick the best picture of these films that John Williams scored.

Each of these films was a Academy Award nominee for Best Picture.

Only one film one, Schindler's List, in a rather week year.

Pick your poison

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The one that won. Towering Inferno is easily the worst (though I've yet to see Accidental Tourist, I kinda doubt it's gonna be beaten for last place).

The one that won. Towering Inferno is easily the worst (though I've yet to see Accidental Tourist, I kinda doubt it's gonna be beaten for last place).

you are so full of shit the Towering Inferno is a better film than Munich, JFK, BOTFOJ, hell its better than SPR.

Dramatic, melodramatic, effects that stand up today, and a score better than any I named.

I voted ET but I think ET, Jaws, Star Wars, and Raiders are all better than the overrated Schindler's List.

you are so full of shit the Towering Inferno is a better film than Munich, JFK, BOTFOJ, hell its better than SPR.

Dramatic, melodramatic, effects that stand up today, and a score better than any I named.

Only Irwin allen film I've seen that was worth anything was Poseidon Adventure. Campy enough, with Gene Hackman thinking he's in a real movie. Towering Inferno is not dramatic at all. If you think I'm gonna get excited over OJ having to save a cat, you're sorely mistaken.

I happen to like all the films on that list to some extent, and love many of them (including two that you mentioned in the above post). Towering Inferno does nothing for me.

All of those films are superbly scored. Towering Inferno's got a good album with a kick-ass main titles, certainly. I'd personally take the two Stone soudntracks over it for emotional resonance, though.

Damn, this is tough one. There are some really important movies like SL, BotFoJ, JFK, SPR, M and kick-ass popcorn flicks TI, J, SW, RotLA, ET... and one I haven't seen - AT. Most of theme are very good.

I think I will pick Star Wars. Being retired (not retarded!:P) Star Wars fan I have a lot of sentiment for this picture. In some way it's changed my live, since it's started my fascination in film music.

I'm sure many will disagree but I think Fiddler on the Roof should be on this list. It wouldn't win anyway so there'd be no harm in it. As it is the choice is tough but I'll go with Jaws just because it seems to have everything: artistic and technical success and both popular and critical respect over the long haul.

P.S. Saving Private Ryan is 1998.

"John Williams’ (Schindler's List) score is sometimes damned good, railroading over the scenes as it unifies them and makes them flow as one, and at other times as maudlin and obvious his worst work."

This guy needs a very hard kick in the nuts.

I voted ET but I think ET, Jaws, Star Wars, and Raiders are all better than the overrated Schindler's List.

You sir, are an idiot. I shouldn't even have to explain why.

I think you are the only person in existence to think that Munich, JFK, Born On The Fourth Of July, and Saving Private Ryan are all worse than The Towering Inferno.

Oh, and Schindler's List is definitely not overrated.

I agree with Joe on this one

Oh, The Young Ones agree. I'll call the press.

-Tom, who voted for E.T. too, but who'd never place an Irwin Winkler production over Oliver Stone's best film.

Oh, The Young Ones agree. I'll call the press.

-Tom, who voted for E.T. too, but who'd never place an Irwin Winkler production over Oliver Stone's best film.

Irwin Allen, please.

Let me just say if Joe's an idiot he isn't the only one. Several of the members here have certainly taken a giant step forward these past few weeks.

I'd say there were 4: Star Wars, Jaws, Schindler's List or E.T., but since I have to pick one I'm gonna go with Star Wars.

I voted Raiders. Perfect. But I could have just as easily voted for Jaws or Star Wars. ET aclose second to those three. Schindlers' is great but not as indelible. Blumenkohl - WTF is with your banner "John Williams is Old. His music ain't spiffy no more." If you're serious what are you posting here for?

I voted Raiders. Perfect. But I could have just as easily voted for Jaws or Star Wars. ET aclose second to those three. Schindlers' is great but not as indelible. Blumenkohl - WTF is with your banner "John Williams is Old. His music ain't spiffy no more." If you're serious what are you posting here for?

i agree,it's very annoying.Posting actively in a JW forum while a the same time saying he's over the hill and crappy now.Unless there's some sarcasm in there I don't get

I think you are the only person in existence to think that Munich, JFK, Born On The Fourth Of July, and Saving Private Ryan are all worse than The Towering Inferno.

Oh, and Schindler's List is definitely not overrated.

how nice!!!

I don't find any of those films better than TI,

I love melodrama, its something that isn't made often today. Its often put down, but somehow the films hold up.

Munich is easily one of the least films Spielberg has made, its a snuff film, its not as good as WOTW, or Catch Me If You Can, but its a cousin to Schindler's List, about the horrors that the jew has suffered. So too many think they are beyond criticism, yawn. Its about the holocaust, you can't not like it.

Born on the Fourth of July is just another slanted Vietnam story made by a loon, who furthered his conspiracy beliefs with JFK.

Saving Private Ryan is a great war movie, but not a great movie.

Accidental Tourist is just a lovely movie, melodramatic, and much better than those.

Schindler's List is a very good movie, better than TI, no doubt, but not even close to Spielberg's best, Jaws, CE3K, Raiders, E.T., Empire of the Sun are all better films. Schinldler's best attribute is SS brave use of black and white, but it suffers like SPR by the smarming sentimentality in the endings.

Jaws, Raiders, Star Wars, and ET are clearly the best on this list. Jess said it best, Raiders is perfect, Jaws is too, a film that gets better with age. The force restraint makes it so good. In fact all of those films are better because of what couldn't be down while making those films.

i agree,it's very annoying.Posting actively in a JW forum while a the same time saying he's over the hill and crappy now.Unless there's some sarcasm in there I don't get

It's an implicit test of whether or not you are PMSing

I love melodrama, its something that isn't made often today. Its often put down, but somehow the films hold up.

While I completely agree on that count Joe, I think the problem with TI is that while it does have melodrama the plotting of the story and the delivery of it overall just comes across and meloborama than melodrama.

Raiders is perfect, Jaws is too

Eh...I wouldn't go THAT far. They're amazing....not perfect.

The force restraint makes it so good. In fact all of those films are better because of what couldn't be down while making those films.

Absolutely. The concept of "less is more" has been completely lost in Hollywood. Shame.

Tongue-in-cheek is the phrase.

It's called stirring the pot.

It actually seems more like the norm around here these days. You can only stir the pot if its a minority opinion. More like piling on.

Yeah, I bought my ticket for that the minute they went on sale. I've heard it may even be the 1982 version!

I voted for Raiders. It may not be the best, but it's certainly my favorite.

Neil

really indy solo