Cussing in movies

AI

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now let me start by saying, I am not a prude at all, that I do cuss often, in real life, and sometimes online. I don't frown on cussing as such, although if I had children and they cussed, I would be horrified.

Anyway, my point is, I loathe cussing in films, I find it gratuitous. I don't like hearing it, no matter what kind of film I am watching.

It makes me cringe. It's not needed.

Frankly my dear I don't give a DAMN!

lol

I somehow managed to stumble across a site that had movie reviews from a religious stance. (I know I'll be walking a fine line if I say which one, so I won't) Anyway, the reviewer was disgusted at the use of the "F-word" taking place 69 times (Ironic). What I found really amusing is that the reviewer was supposedly offended, yet kept watching. Ummm.... People do realize their TV can change channels right? Personally, I'm tired of people talking about how language offends them. Don't like it? Don't watch! Same goes for people whining about nudity, the prudes they are. Considering all the splatterfest garbage coming out of Hollywood, I think we need to crank up the amount of T & A in modern films. But not bony chicks. Real women. That is all.

Eagerly awaiting the re-make of Ben Hur, where we hear - "Row faster you fucking fucks. Ramming speed, you lazy cunts!!!"

And in the Hur household we see those women (portly ones) showing a bit of tit and ass,

and Hur saying - "Bring the wine, beeaaatches. I gonna bruck up this chariot race ya say!!!"

I have no idea why a Ben Hur remake was brought up, but okay!

P.S: I have to hand pick the women to get naked.

Ditto with my versions.

PS Marc- when are you posting your soundbites about all those movies? I'm interested in what you thoguht of a couple of them

I think they could have toned down the swearing in Shrek. It is a childrens' film, after all. Using words like jackass and stuff doesn't work in a kids' film.

I think it's great the way Indy says "Oh damn" when he realizes he has to cut the bridge in ToD.

Actually the Shrek film lean more toward adults and teenagers.

That's right, which makes the language appropriate. The children who love the films enjoy it for what it is, while the adults that see it with their kids have something to enjoy and laugh at. All cartoons and family films have these insertions of adult humor.

Hahaha! See, every family program or film has some type of adult humor in it. I love Spongebob, not for its sillyness and talking sponge which is why kids like it, but because of it's surprisingly amazing writing in its early seasons and fantastic adult humor.

Like what?

It's also funny in Shrek when they go up the castle, and somebody makes a comment regarding its size, and Shrek says something like "Do you think he's comphansating for smaller things?"

indy4 - who can't spell conphansating

A big one is that a lot of people argue over homosexuality in the show. Many disprove such comments that Spongebob is gay, but I find it hilarious because he is pretty much gay, something that kids can't pick up on or don't even care about.

There are other things that have to do with real-world connections that children who watch don't understand. When I think it about now there actually isn't much adult humor than rather very very funny and great writing. The movie is great too, especially the scene with David Hasseloff.

EDIT: O.K. I got something. I'm watching a marathon and they are selling chocolate bars. Spongebob is wondering what they can do to sell more bars. Patrick says "Let's get naked!" Spongebob says "No, let's save that for when we're selling real estate."

Now I'm positive no child gets that.

I must have the wrong original mono mix, then.

I never found the last word to be all that distinguishable in there either.

In the original mix you can clearly hear him say b*tch.

PS Marc- when are you posting your soundbites about all those movies? I'm interested in what you thoguht of a couple of them

I've pretty much given up on my weekly movie update. I'm months behind anyway.

In the original mix you can clearly hear him say b*tch.

Yet the last part of it still has an explosion laid on top of it.

It may not be the earth-shattering end of the world KA-BOOM that the remix has, but it's still not exactly unobscured.

I've pretty much given up on my weekly movie update. I'm months behind anyway.

Damn, I was hoping for an episode-by-episode Sopranos review. ;)

What did you think of The Departed, btw (to get this back on topic...kind of)?

Very often I find that a lot of times not cussing is actually more effective. One instance is Back to the Future. I grew up with the TV version, and there are three things that stick out as actually being better in the TV version. First, in the TV cut, Marty says "Geez Louise! Geez Louise, Doc, you disintegrated Einstein!" and I believe they used that instead of Jesus Christ in a few other places. I had no clue he said anything else--it was just what Marty said. It was part of his character. When I saw the original cut, it was actually disappointing to hear him use JC not just because of my beliefs, but because it was more harsh, and really, more generic.

Then, the TV cut actually made it better in the scene where Marty escapes Peabody's farm. It was always so funny to have him go, "Take that you mutated son of a--" BAM!! and Marty shoots out of the barn.

And finally, the infamous "What, do we become a**holes or something?" A**holes is really overkill. Jerks is enough--it's not lame or wimpy, and it works well.

Data swearing in Generations was a magical moment, I don't care what anyone else says.

I disagree. That was one of those "We can do it cause we ain't on TV" types of things that was really kind of pointless. Especially since Spock had already done it in TVH.

Very often I find that a lot of times not cussing is actually more effective. One instance is Back to the Future. I grew up with the TV version, and there are three things that stick out as actually being better in the TV version. First, in the TV cut, Marty says "Geez Louise! Geez Louise, Doc, you disintegrated Einstein!" and I believe they used that instead of Jesus Christ in a few other places. I had no clue he said anything else--it was just what Marty said. It was part of his character. When I saw the original cut, it was actually disappointing to hear him use JC not just because of my beliefs, but because it was more harsh, and really, more generic.

Then, the TV cut actually made it better in the scene where Marty escapes Peabody's farm. It was always so funny to have him go, "Take that you mutated son of a--" BAM!! and Marty shoots out of the barn.

And finally, the infamous "What, do we become a**holes or something?" A**holes is really overkill. Jerks is enough--it's not lame or wimpy, and it works well.

I saw a version on the BBC years back that had all the language butchered out.

"Let's see if you [sound drops out] can do ninety."

Many lines were missing altogether, including the A-hole one.

I was not pleased.

I thought it was forced and gratuitous, prison or no prison. It didn't work.

Indeed, it didn't work since the prisoners behaved as if they were monks. This whole movie is so wrong on every level. Yikes!

Anyone ever see Scarface on TV? It turns into a comedy.

My favorite thing...

Original line: "This town is like a pussy, waiting to be (...)ed."

Approved for TV line: "This town is like a chicken, waiting to be plucked."

Darn this filter, it shouldn't censor quotes!

I was not pleased.

They didn't replace it with the "jerks" reshoot? That's dumb.

You sound like you'd love the TV version of Scarface.

You sound like you'd love the TV version of Scarface.

:) I don't really have any intention of seeing any version of Scarface, but I understand that Scarface is a far cry from Back to the Future in just about every way possible.

Cussing

Don't like to hear it, don't care to speak it.

Everytime you cuss, an angel falls from Heaven.

Everytime you cuss, someone is watching Seven.

Every time someone watches Seven, he is watching a thriller,

Every time you cuss, you are creating , perhaps, a real live killer.

Cuss, cuss, speak like thus.

Don't use these words, it's a plus.

I was not pleased.

They didn't replace it with the "jerks" reshoot? That's dumb.

No, it just cut straight to Christopher Lloyd giving a very odd look.

They also aired a version of The Mask of Zorro that had the entire subplot of the hero's brother's head in a jar removed.

Stupid censors.

I don't mind cussing, I do it myself a lot. All though for movies if it's not overly done and it works then I don't mind it but a lot of times it gets kind of annoying whenever you hear someone say the F word every single line.

Hate was too strong I guess. It's been years since I've seen it. I've just always viewed Zorro as more family friendly than that. I didn't care that it was sexed up either. Call me old fashioned.