2 CD Edition of Goldsmith's ALIEN

Ollie

Actually I would love a complete re-mastered Innerspace.

The original album contains about 25 mins of score and the "other" version has less than stellar sound on the unreleased cues.

I'd also love a complete legit Gremlins although the "other" version has pretty good sound. The original album only has 15 mins of score.

I still don't get the mass hysteria over Alien.

Yes, you've made that abundantly clear in this thread. No one is ever going to convince you it's a great score deserving of this treatment and your perpetual whining isn't winning you any new friends. For a score that doesn't interest you, you have an awful lot to say about it (even though earlier in this thread you said you'd stop).

Neil

I have copied the isolated soundtrack plus the alternative isolated soundtrack from the first DVD edition on minidisc. Do you think that I then have most or all of the Intrada music already?

Not all of it. And the DVD iso sounds like the original album - extremely hissy. However the sound on the new release is, it will certainly be significantly better.

And even if you did, you should still get it to financially support this release and encourage future ones. ;)

John- who'll have to look at his post-RotK Christmas budget before deciding when to get this

I'd also love a complete legit Gremlins although the "other" version has pretty good sound. The original album only has 15 mins of score.

The "other" version has OK sound, but it certainly could sound much better.

The "other" version has OK sound, but it certainly could sound much better.

Finally we agree about sound quality

Yeah,the LC boot has horrible ,nearly unlisteneable music

I do agree with that. :lol:

I'm waiting for Joeinar to come and say: "Thanks Intrada, I need a new coaster to put my beer on."

sorry Alex, but I don't drink beer, and I wouldn't use even A.I. as a coaster.

Now, I am actually not at all familiar with the Alien (the film or the score), but I'm hearing it's really great. But it seems like a lot of the samples on Intrada are more disturbing music, as opposed to action-oriented (even along the lines of the "It's a Droid" sample) or even just intense music, so to speak. And the only sample that seems more traditionally listenable is the clip from "Hyper Sleep." Now, I know king mark is saying a lot about what's so great about it, but I have heard nothing of it except from those Intrada samples. So, is the vast majority of the score the more experimental, horrific music, or is there a reasonable amount of action, or interesting suspense, or more traditional underscore, to balance it out some and make it more worth the purchase? And furthermore, are those samples just not the best representatives for those unfamiliar with the score to get a true idea of the spectrum of the score?

Now, I am actually not at all familiar with the Alien (the film or the score), but I'm hearing it's really great. But it seems like a lot of the samples on Intrada are more disturbing music, as opposed to action-oriented (even along the lines of the "It's a Droid" sample) or even just intense music, so to speak. And the only sample that seems more traditionally listenable is the clip from "Hyper Sleep." Now, I know king mark is saying a lot about what's so great about it, but I have heard nothing of it except from those Intrada samples. So, is the vast majority of the score the more experimental, horrific music, or is there a reasonable amount of action, or interesting suspense, or more traditional underscore, to balance it out some and make it more worth the purchase? And furthermore, are those samples just not the best representatives for those unfamiliar with the score to get a true idea of the spectrum of the score?

Once you're heard this score all the way through, you'll be checking the back of your pants. It's that awesome.

I'd say it's mostly experimental /disturbing music.

This thread has gotten depressing. An important A-list score that many of us like and care about has received the deluxe treatment - by the company who achieved the seemingly impossible with Amazing Stories - but still the sour grapes contingency comes out to whine that they didn't get what they want. You guys must have been a barrel of laughs on Christmas morning when you were kids. It's quite obvious that the various soundtrack labels and producers are working hard to release everything they can and their efforts should be appreciated for what they are doing instead of for what they're not. They'd be fools to not go after expanded releases of major Williams scores, but since certain desired titles do not seem to be forthcoming the logical conclusion is that it is not the labels or producers standing in the way. So don't condemn them just because they can't release the titles you want. Like the music or not, Alien is a milestone release and should be received with cheers whether or not you're purchasing it.

His Majesty has to let off steam some time. You're only human as well. Ok, is it time for me to rant about The Matrix scores now???

Can't say I'm excited about this release. I never really cared for the score, but I'm not going to badmouth the release. The more scores released completely the better, in my view. Even ones not requested for, simply because someone out there may want it. So congrats guys, I hope something interesting to me comes along the pipe, but I'm not going to bash to release of more music.

Can't say I'm excited about this release. I never really cared for the score, but I'm not going to badmouth the release. The more scores released completely the better, in my view. Even ones not requested for, simply because someone out there may want it. So congrats guys, I hope something interesting to me comes along the pipe, but I'm not going to bash to release of more music.

And it's one less score for the label companies to consider releasing over something like Family Plot.

And it's one less score for the label companies to consider releasing over something like Family Plot.

Do you really honestly and truly believe that? And did you even bother to read this thread?

Neil

Do you really honestly and truly believe that? And did you even bother to read this thread?

Neil

Umm, it's still possible that they will get rights to release Family Plot. I will still belive!

I wouldn't say that

Neither would I.

Neil

Umm, it's still possible that they will get rights to release Family Plot. I will still belive!

That quote has nothing to do with the rights to Family Plot. It has everything to do with the people in charge knowing what we want and are working to get released.

Neil

Neil

I knew it would be a waste to post that. Why did I even bother?

Neil

That quote has nothing to do with the rights to Family Plot. It has everything to do with the people in charge knowing what we want and are working to get released.

Neil

So it's totally possible for Family Plot to be released next time?

Sure, why not? Since no one seems to pay attention.

Everything will come spilling out next month in a huge bundle of every unreleased Williams score you could ever want.

Everything will come spilling out next month in a huge bundle of every unreleased Williams score you could ever want.

We should frame this remark, hang it out on the wall, make an internet spin-off rumour of it, and then post a thread "I have to know this! Who said that there will be a huge JW bundle next month?"

At least we know the master tapes to Family Plot still exist.I'm not so sure about Temple of Doom

The unreleased TOD music used for the documentaries in the Indy DVDs sounded pretty good. I don't see why there should be an issue, unless there are indeed certain lost cues.

Lucas is well-known for his meticulous archiving, at least on all things Star Wars.

The master tapes of the Indiana Jones series are probably safely tucked away somewhere.

Of course, believing them to be lost will make their eventual release an even bigger relief, instead of making the constant absence of a commercial release a minor annoyance at the least... ;)

Hm, I don't know.

Oh, well.

As long as I keep believing we'll never see expanded Indy scores I won't be disappointed when they don't happen and double as happy when they do!

- Marc, who thinks pessimism can work!

This is wonderful news! A L I E N is maybe my no. 1 favorite movie of all time. Jerry's score for it was brilliant and is, without a doubt, the creepiest score I have ever heard. And I think that considering that he passed away a couple of years ago, I think it's right to give some justice to some of his older works, which Intrada is doing quite nicely here. Anyways, for those of you who haven't heard the score. It really is good stuff ("The Landing" is absolutely beautiful) and I'd recommend it. Just be sure to check you pants after listening, as mentioned earlier. ;)

Alien is far more interesting then Family Plot.

I wouldn't even name them in the same sentence.

...because Family Plot absolutley ANNIHILATES the other one.

Alien is a great movie.

The score has it's moments when things get melodic ,but I don't like disturbing horror music,which is most of it.I also skip it in JW scores.