Masakazu Yoshizawa passes away

Miguel Andrade

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not only did Masakazu Yoshizawa perform on the Geisha soundtrack but on numerous sountracks by several composers (among which many John Williams and James Horner scores), since he was one of the few people in Hollywood who could play a shakuhachi.

For me his most memorable solos are the ad lib solos in "Dennis Steals the Embryos" from Jurassic Park.

I hope Williams will find an appropriate substitute for his upcoming scores.

It's very bizarre for me to have any connection to this man. But at the only John Williams concert I've ever been to, last August at Tanglewood, he was there to perform on the Geisha pieces. During the intermission, I went up to the stage hoping for an autograph from the Maestro, and this man was nearby. I asked him if he would sign my Geisha CD, and he kindly obliged. Not only did he sign my CD, but he started telling me about his experiences working with John Williams on both the Jurassic Park and Geisha scores! He was so friendly and so exuberant, and he just sat there on the edge of the stage amidst all the bustle around us and talked to me. I didn't even know who he was before that performance, but I have such a fond memory of him.

This is unexpectedly sad news.

It's very bizarre for me to have any connection to this man. But at the only John Williams concert I've ever been to, last August at Tanglewood, he was there to perform on the Geisha pieces. During the intermission, I went up to the stage hoping for an autograph from the Maestro, and this man was nearby. I asked him if he would sign my Geisha CD, and he kindly obliged. Not only did he sign my CD, but he started telling me about his experiences working with John Williams on both the Jurassic Park and Geisha scores! He was so friendly and so exuberant, and he just sat there on the edge of the stage amidst all the bustle around us and talked to me. I didn't even know who he was before that performance, but I have such a fond memory of him.

I thought he was the one who worked on Jurassic Park. Thanks for the info. Too bad he died so young. His playing is immortalized.

That's great that you were fortunate enough to meet him, what a great experience it must have been. It is indeed unexpectedly sad news.

I'm sure he's shown on the music segment of the MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA dvd but not interviewed. You can catch it here

What other scores did he work on?

Which JW scores feature a shakuhachi, anyway (except for JP and Memoirs)???

It's my fav orchestral instrument, it gives the cold pan flute like sound and is very effectful in underscore for suspenseful scenes.

The Lost World, War of the Worlds. Also I think Amistad, Patriot, Minority Report.

James Horner: Mask of Zorro, Titanic, Jumanji and many more.

The Lost World, War of the Worlds. Also I think Amistad, Patriot, Minority Report.

Are you sure about those? Can you give me the times (some examples)???

Are you sure about those? Can you give me the times (some examples)???

Sigh...it's not like I have too much time :huh:

But I'll check out some for you :angry: