Which rare JW album should I buy next?

Josh500

Which rare JW album should I buy next?   

28 members have voted

1. 1. Jaws 2, Earthquake, Fury (Varese Sarabande)

• Jaws 2
    • Earthquake
    • Fury

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Fury is utterly brilliant, Jaws 2 is very good, and Earthquake is OK, but not really a must-have IMO.

All 3 are good, but The Fury and Jaws 2 are among JW's very best.

The Fury - the LSO version, rather than the OST. It's ragged at times - I think it was recorded when some time was left over after the original Star Wars sessions - but incredibly potent.

Jaws 2 is fun with some good rollicking salty sea dog type music.

And I like Earthquake too - nice main theme, with one particularly melancholic arrangement of it, but very very seventies.

In conclusion: The Fury.

Dude you're selling off Williams albums on eBay and then you're buying out of print ones. Or is it the other way round?

I'm selling some so I can get others. I'm not rich, you know! :lol:

Dude you're selling off Williams albums on eBay and then you're buying out of print ones. Or is it the other way round?

I'm selling some so I can get others. I'm not rich, you know! :lol:

Don't get rid of scores, sell a kidney or something ;)

The Fury - the LSO version, rather than the OST.

The LSO performance is on Disc 2 of the Varèse release, I believe.

Quite correct. Funnily enough I never listen to the OST.

If it's the 2 disc set of The Fury you should buy it immediately.

If it's the original well buy it as well but give strong consideration to Jaws 2.

I wouldn't sell off scores like Home Alone 2 Deluxe. Personally I also mostly acquire out of print scores through trades or something like that.

I keep my money to buy in-print scores. In that way, I don't spend an exaggerated amount of money on one CD, and I support labels like FSM or so who are doing these releases.

I wouldn't sell off scores like Home Alone 2 Deluxe. Personally I also mostly acquire out of print scores through trades or something like that.

I keep my money to buy in-print scores. In that way, I don't spend an exaggerated amount of money on one CD, and I support labels like FSM or so who are doing these releases.

So you think it was a mistake selling the Home Alone 2 album??? :lol:

Dunno, I figured I have that on my itunes anyway, so . . . it's not that big a deal. And I can use the money to buy The Fury or Jaws 2!!!

Definitely Fury. A great Williams/LSO score from the late 70s, a must have. Jaws 2 is also worth tracking down ASAP, one of JWs finest End Title cues. I never really cared for Earthquake myself, very very 70s. So it depends on how you feel about Williams writing in a 30 year old contemporary style. The main theme is good, particularly in the track "The City Sleeps". And compared to the other disaster scores, I like Towering Inferno & Poseidon better.

The original album of the Fury, although It does not contain both original and LSO recordings, it contains the best version by far (by the LSO), and is much much much cheaper than the expanded release.

Dunno, I figured I have that on my itunes anyway, so . . . it's not that big a deal. And I can use the money to buy The Fury or Jaws 2!!!

Er. That's the point.

Definitely Fury. A great Williams/LSO score from the late 70s, a must have. Jaws 2 is also worth tracking down ASAP, one of JWs finest End Title cues. I never really cared for Earthquake myself, very very 70s. So it depends on how you feel about Williams writing in a 30 year old contemporary style. The main theme is good, particularly in the track "The City Sleeps". And compared to the other disaster scores, I like Towering Inferno & Poseidon better.

Earthquake could stand a remastered and expanded release. Get rid of the two tracks that are sound effects and remove the effects from the main title. Also I believe some of the dramatic underscore cues were left off the album.

Earthquake certainly could stand a new release. The original is a lot of fun though. This is a very nostalgic score for me as it was one of the first scores I bought after I'd decided to get everything Mr Williams had written. I bought it the same day as The Eiger Sanction back in 1990 or so.

I voted for Jaws 2 in this poll, but you really should get all 3!

Actually I already own "Main Title" and "Love Theme" from Earthquake, because I happen to have this CD (click on Film Works from 1993) in my collection!

:lol:

I voted for Jaws 2 in this poll, but you really should get all 3!

Duly noted.

Earthquake certainly could stand e new release. The original is a lot of fun though. This is a very nostalgic score for me as it was one of the first scores I bought after I'd decided to get everything Mr Williams had written. I bought it the same day as The Eiger Sanction back in 1990 or so.

I remember back in the fall of 1991 walking into Tower Records and buying a bunch of the Varese CDs featuring Williams' scores; The Eiger Sanction, Jaws 2, Earthquake, The Fury, Dracula plus Hook which was released that year.

The Fury - the LSO version, rather than the OST. It's ragged at times - I think it was recorded when some time was left over after the original Star Wars sessions - but incredibly potent.

Jaws 2 is fun with some good rollicking salty sea dog type music.

And I like Earthquake too - nice main theme, with one particularly melancholic arrangement of it, but very very seventies.

In conclusion: The Fury.

During Superman sessions :lol:

Jaws 2 is a truly magnificent score. I like it much more than Jaws, because it is a better listening experiance. It has beautiful harp parts, hilarious march-of-the-villians-like bits, brilliant seafaring music, and some very suspensful stuff at the very end.

It is in my top 20 favorite scores of all time.

But keep in mind, I don't own the Fury or Earthquake.

Jaws 2 is a truly magnificent score. I like it much more than Jaws, because it is a better listening experiance. It has beautiful harp parts, hilarious march-of-the-villians-like bits, brilliant seafaring music, and some very suspensful stuff at the very end.

It's not a better score, it's a more "magical" score. The music for Jaws 2 is more colorful and fantasy-style than the original. I love it, but I think the darker more brooding score to Jaws has it beat by a cat's whisker.

Oh, and you MUST get The Fury! The original album is the way to go, but you might as well get it on the 2-disk set. Then you have the lot!

Oh, and you MUST get The Fury! The original album is the way to go, but you might as well get it on the 2-disk set. Then you have the lot!

Why is the OST better?

The OST is actually a re-recording done by the London Symphony Orchestra conducted by JW.

Sound quality and performance are generally considered to be superiour.

The Varese Club release contains both this re-recording and the original score as recorded for the film.

Why is it that some people lean toward the OS and some others toward the VS version?

I understand that the OS recordings are not included in the VS edition. So how do those recordings differ? The VS edition is more complete, obviously, but does it not include the original recordings?

Should I start a poll to find out how many people favor which version???

No, the VS edition includes both the original score (Disc 1) and the original soundtrack album (Disc 2).

The OST is very nice, but it's incomplete. I don't dig the sequencing too much, either. And the synth theremin is really weak!

Why is it that some people lean toward the OS and some others toward the VS version?

I understand that the OS recordings are not included in the VS edition. So how do those recordings differ? The VS edition is more complete, obviously, but does it not include the original recordings?

Did you not read my post?

I understand that the OS recordings are not included in the VS edition.

They are included. They're on disc 2.

The reason one might lean toward getting the OST instead of the Deluxe Edition, is that the original album is probably cheaper.

It is also incomplete, though. So if you want the full score as written for the film, get the Deluxe Edition. Since that has the OST on disk 2 anyway, the original album then becomes redundant.

So you'll have to pick either the OST or the DE, depending solely on how much money you are willing to spend.

Of course, if you were to buy just the OST and then change your mind and then buy the DE as well, you'll end up owning the same album twice...

Go for the Varèse release (the Deluxe Edition).

Did you not read my post?

Oh yeah, sorry, must have overlooked that!

The OST is actually a re-recording done by the London Symphony Orchestra conducted by JW.

Sound quality and performance are generally considered to be superiour.

The Varese Club release contains both this re-recording and the original score as recorded for the film.

So, basically, the Varese Club edition is the one to get! :angry:

Earthquake could stand a remastered and expanded release. Get rid of the two tracks that are sound effects and remove the effects from the main title. Also I believe some of the dramatic underscore cues were left off the album.

I agree with your suggestions, although it would be nice to still have the sound effects at the end as bonus tracks. There are at least 27 separate cues (most of them terrific underscore, but also a fair few source cues) that are not represented in any shape or form on the Earthquake album.

It is worth pointing out also that the Earthquake album, like many scores from that period, is a rerecording and concentrates on the source music cues (one of which, Something for Rosa, is heard for only about 3 or 4 seconds in the movie!) in preference to most of the dramatic underscoring.

My particular favourites from the unreleased music are The National Guard and The Aftermath cues (my own titles, but i like 'em).

I just bought:

Raiders 1995 edition for $80.00

Midway for $32.75

Raiders original edition for $25.40

Empire of the Sun for $13.50

I lost Dracula and Jaws 2 ;)

Raiders 1995 fetches those prices?

Geez i have a spare copy.

Actually I almost got one for $52.00, but I didn´t bid in time. Btw it normally goes for around $200.00.

I just bought:

Midway for $32.75

Midway's on Amazon for 15 dollars.

I just bought:

Midway for $32.75

:)

Midway's on Amazon for 15 dollars.

Give the guy a break! I paid $50 for Witches of Eastwick back in 1999 and I was thrilled to have it. I paid $40 for Accidental Tourist, and a whopping $160 for Spacecamp. Yes, I know you can get them all for cheaper if you wait and wait, but it's always exciting to get them no matter how much you pay.

Give the guy a break! I paid $50 for Witches of Eastwick back in 1999 and I was thrilled to have it. I paid $40 for Accidental Tourist, and a whopping $160 for Spacecamp. Yes, I know you can get them all for cheaper if you wait and wait, but it's always exciting to get them no matter how much you pay.

I agree, if you have the money and want to spend it then go right ahead.

I am glad I am finished buying all these a long time ago.

k.M.Who remembers the days of " c.d. hunting"

Same here, it pays to be old sometimes.