Film Score Monthly announces the Blue Box - Superman.

TownerFan

Hmmm, I thought you were one of them...either way Koray bought it from me. I guess I only want Superman: The Movie but at the same time I don't want to shell out money for the set again just for that one score.

And there's no way to get the first one outside the box? That's unfortunate.

Unfortunately not. Don't be surprised though if either LLL or Intrada picks up the rights for this once this sells out and the rights expire from FSM.

If that happens perhaps they'll sell each scores separately.

I seriously doubt a three figure price is worth the sound difference that I personally cannot hear. Not saying it's not there but I am not an audiophile and I don't hear the differences in most sound differences people talk about here.

I hear the difference, and I'm deaf!

Too can hear the difference between the Rhino and FSM set for Superman: The Movie. Although if you aren't trained to hear that then I can see Joey's validation at least to him.

I wasn't able to hear the difference between quality for a long time for scores. I had to train myself for that and now that I have I'm pretty picky about it.

I heard a lossless rip of the FSM Superman and there was a difference. A similar to the one heard in Poltergeist and Ben-Hur Rhino/FSM releases.

Which isn't to say there is anything wrong with the Rhino set. I have a very soft spot for that album. And it is a perfectly respectable presentation, even by today's standards.

Karol

I heard a lossless rip of the FSM Superman and there was a difference. A similar to the one heard in Poltergeist and Ben-Hur Rhino/FSM releases.

Bigger. I don't hear much of a difference in Poltergeist, and Ben-Hur sounds a bit cleaned up, but still has the same sound characteristic.

But with Superman, the FSM release sounds *different* than the Rhino. Less damaged, more powerful, with considerably more low end and clarity. It doesn't sound perfect, but still much better than what came before.

I know this is slightly out of touch tonally with Williams' music, but I've got to say I always loved this track: Superman gets The Terminal treatment.

I've never heard the rest of the score, though. I'm looking forward to it.

Karol - who got a shipping notification today

Glad I didn't put it off any longer! My copy arrived last night. I'm looking forward to listening as soon as I get a chance.

So, who wants one of my copies? I'm selling them at a low price: $1,000 each.

Come on, man! No one's going over $800!

But with Superman, the FSM release sounds *different* than the Rhino. Less damaged, more powerful, with considerably more low end and clarity. It doesn't sound perfect, but still much better than what came before.

One of the things that bugged me most in all previous releases (including the 2-LP) was the bad warbling effect during the climactic crescendo in "Leaving Home". It was quite wonderful to hear it crisp and clean on the FSM release.

Another 300 Blue Boxes are being printed. Last chance editions on a couple of other titles as well.

• 2 months later...

I dunno if I'll be able to get another copy. Although I only want Superman: The Movie...maybe if it goes out of print another label IE: Intrada or LLL can re-release them as separate titles.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just was checking something and wanted to ask (tried to search int his topic but didn't come up with anything):

I see this box doesn't include for Superman the movie:

Baby lifts lorry Version A

Racing the train (original)

To the Lair (original)

Are these unrecorded?

Does anyone know?

I remember hearing somewhere the original version of Racing the train. I think it was in the Debney re-recording?

A lot of those un-recorded or unused alternates were repurposed for Superman 2 and 3

A lot of those un-recorded or unnused alternates were repurposed for Superman 2 and 3

I wouldn't be surprised.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I  saw that FSM already reissued a Limited 2nd Edition of 3,000 Copies of the boxset.

http://www1.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm/ID/8874/SUPERMAN-THE-MUSIC-1978-1988-2ND-EDITION/

Is this 2nd reissue was from 2008 too?

Thanks, I added the info on my website.

Finally it means that there is "so much" new boxes actually on the market that there is no real hope of seeing a "single" release of the the first movie score soon...  :(

The answers you seek are right here in this very thread

On 3/11/2008 at 6:28 AM, Lurker said:

Responding to this post again because Lukas has addressed this very issue. There will be a second printing of 3,000 sets. It will have the exact same book, with the addition of "Second Printing" added somewhere. Regarding the book falling apart for some, it was a factory screw-up and additional books are being made for those that need a replacement. All of the details are at that link.

You can't ask for better service than this.

Neil

On 3/29/2008 at 4:23 PM, El Jefe said:

SAE is taking pre-orders for the second pressing. Lukas hoped to have it soon so people wouldn't have to wait.

• 3 months later...

Do you think someone will release a standalone expanded 2-CD of "Superman: The Movie" for it's 40th anniversary this year?

I find that Blue Box really too big for my needs... :(

Since I bought the Blue Box last year, with my luck they are bound to release some kind of Superman 40th Anniversary Edition soon. Just to vex me personally.

I have been skirting with the idea of buying the blue box for a while, but if they choose to release a standalone score for the first film then that shall be a more enticing and economic choice!

Buying the box is money well spent. Lots of great Superman music.

But the number of Superman CDs in my collection (including both editions of Ottoman’s score and none of Zimmer’s) is growing to Home Alone-like proportions.

The only franchise that can rival its massive presence in my iTunes is Star Wars.

And to think Matessino has teased a new release of Superman yet again. Oh my...