Film Score Monthly announces the Blue Box - Superman.

TownerFan

EIGHT discs for ONE score?

That isn't a repackaged version of the 30th anniversary Star Wars release, is it? :huh:

Well...let's hope it's Indiana Jones!!! :angry:

EIGHT discs for ONE score?

No, it will feature the mentioned "most famous and beloved score" along with something else too. I suspect this will be a composer-themed boxset. My speculation is an Alex North boxset with a super-complete and definitive Spartacus (with alternates, outtakes, source cues and everything else). Four discs for that and the other four for other North scores.

Spartacus would seem more feasible then the indy scores

It's certainly not one of the most famous and beloved scores of all time.

I seriously doubt FSM have the rights to the Raiders trilogy, especially with all the publicity about the upcoming 4th installment. I really hope I'm wrong though. Now that's something I'd definitely add to my credit card debt for!

It is actualy. Golden Age fans would crawl over broken glass to get it.

They're not talking about golden age fans. Could it be E.T.?

Again?

I'm not actually expecting a williams score.

Well, in the end it may be a Williams-themed boxset. I remember last year Lukas Kendall said that they would have release something by Williams this year (he actually said he didn't realize this year would be John Williams' 75th birthday). Considering that no FSM release this year so far was Williams...

By the way, I very much highly doubt it would be Star Wars or Indiana Jones.

...and a 1CD release (Silver Age Classics) for $19.95 featuring two highly lauded scores from the 1970s.

Family Plot? That would be nice, but then again, it would be sharing the CD with another score, there would be loads of music left out...

About the Bernstein thing, was that several of his unreleased scores, or just a major compilation album?

FSM only releases scores older then 25 years.

Have the aunnonced that and made it official, or is that just what you've gathered from their previously releases?

I doubt it would be E.T. again, I might not even buy it. MIGHT not.

Have any other labels not released anything recently? Or is FSM the last of the holiday releases?

E.T.??? On eight discs? Are we talking one track per disc?

Yeah, that 8 discs pretty much guarantees it has to be a score to a long-ass epic movie with a long history.

Have the aunnonced that and made it official, or is that just what you've gathered from their previously releases?

Yes they only release scores prior to 1980. The Golden age, scrores prior to 1960 and Silver age which are scores from the 1960's and 70's. It was on their website at one time.

FSM releases at least 2 CDs every month.

The Bernstein box set was a collection of film scores (from other composers and some of his music as well) Bernstein re-recorded.

http://www.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm?ID=5785

Remember folks there is a long history of film music with many beloved scores, just because it wasn't written after 1980 doesn't mean no one cares about it.

A North box with Spartacus would be a dream come true as would a Rozsa box with Quo Vadis. It could be a Max Steiner box set, FSM has yet to release something from him, although that could be the 2 disc Golden Age release they have coming. Maybe something from Korngold.

Lukas Kendall did say they had a Williams release planned for this year not realizing it was his 75th B-day.

Lukas also seems to believe they will sell alot of these since it's getting a 3000 unit run with the choice to press more.

FSM quite possibly could start releasing scores after 1980, so what if it's a Superman box set with the complete newly remastered scores to the first 4 films?

I think Lukas may have already said no but what if it's a remastered box set of the Gerhardt recordings?

Now the following is complete guesswork, and I don't actually believe it myself. The Spartacus idea sounds more likely to me, and even that I dare not hope for.

But what if this is a remastered re-release of the Gerhardt series? That certainly would make for a nice box set, sell well, and include at least one "beloved" score as well as a Williams release - the Star Wars suite is lengthy enough to qualify for that.

I doubt FSM could get their hands on that though, plus the entire series (in the original full-length versions) would certainly need more than 8 CDs.

Edit: I see Mark had the same idea while I was typing this.

Yes they only release scores prior to 1980. The Golden age, scrores prior to 1960 and Silver age which are scores from the 1960's and 70's. It was on their website at one time.

FSM releases at least 2 CDs every month.

The Bernstein box set was a collection of film scores (from other composers and some of his music as well) Bernstein re-recorded.

http://www.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm?ID=5785

Remember folks there is a long history of film music with many beloved scores, just because it wasn't written after 1980 doesn't mean no one cares about it.

Wow, thanks for all the info!

I'm seriously thinking that the 1CD thing from the 70s may yet be FP.

I'm sure that had the entire score to Family Plot been prepared for release we would have found out about it by now!

How would we know? By, perhaps, a bootleg coming out several months before...?

EDIT: Hey, I just thought of another possibility! What if the 8 disc set is a variaty of Alfred Hitchcock scores that had never been released? Then we may yet get FP!

Holy garbage! 120 bucks! That's a lot of money! I am hoping I don't want anything in this 8 CD set.

We have not decided upon any "limited" status; it will be a case of supply and demand. It costs a small fortune to manufacture, so if the first 3,000 were to sell out, we may do more copies in the same configuration, an altered "second edition" -- or nothing at all.

Could this "altered second edition" be cheaper (e.g. selling each of the scores induvidually)?

Also, do we have a date they're going to aunnonce this stuff on?

Hey, I just thought of another possibility! What if the 8 disc set is a variaty of Alfred Hitchcock scores that had never been released? Then we may yet get FP!

Then Psycho from the original tracks could be the famous and beloved score. A Universal/Hitchcock collection. With Herrmann's Torn Curtain also included.

Again, the 8-disc boxset isn't just for ONE score... it will feature that famous and beloved score NEXT TO other stuff. No single existing score could fill eight discs!

Ok, time for the fanboy in me to come out.

The boxed set is either:

1. complete remastered Superman I, II, III and IV scores with alternates and outakes.

2. The original Star Trek TV series with Jerry Goldsmith's Complete Star Trek TMP to include alternates and outakes.

3. A Hitchcock boxed set to include the first legit release of the original scores to Psycho, Marnie, Family Plot and Herrmann's Torn Curtain.

4. An Alex North box set with Spartacus

5. A Miklos Rozsa set with Quo Vadis

6. Something for either Korngold or Steiner

7. And while this is a pure fanboy wish because it doesn't fit the hints Lukas Kendall gave, a remastered film score set for the films of Ray Harryhausen.