Film Score Monthly announces the Blue Box - Superman.

TownerFan

It occurred to me that the 160-page booklet will undoubtedly shed some light on Williams's work on Superman IV: The Quest for Peace. It's very interesting that the film's notoriously thrifty producers paid (presumably) extra to reinvolve Williams. Perhaps they even attempted to hire him outright to score the film. Curious.

As for myself, I feel much the same way about the Superman Returns score as I do about the movie itself: that it is an interesting experiment, mostly a benign failure but with occasional moments of sheer inspiration. For example, the score would be worth my money if for nothing more than Ottman's version of Williams' Smallville theme (or Leaving Home theme, or Kent Family theme, or whatever it's called).

Hence, I need to buy it.

Yeah, I agree that the score has some great moments, but is an overall failure. The interviews with Singer and Ottman prior to the release of the film are telling. For instance, Ottman felt that the love theme was too old fashioned for Superman Returns (he did end up using it, but he reharmonized it). That's just the wrong attitude. Either continue musical tradition of the series or reboot it. Don't pick and choose.

It occurred to me that the 160-page booklet will undoubtedly shed some light on Williams's work on Superman IV: The Quest for Peace. It's very interesting that the film's notoriously thrifty producers paid (presumably) extra to reinvolve Williams. Perhaps they even attempted to hire him outright to score the film. Curious.
As for myself, I feel much the same way about the Superman Returns score as I do about the movie itself: that it is an interesting experiment, mostly a benign failure but with occasional moments of sheer inspiration. For example, the score would be worth my money if for nothing more than Ottman's version of Williams' Smallville theme (or Leaving Home theme, or Kent Family theme, or whatever it's called).

Hence, I need to buy it.

Yeah, I agree that the score has some great moments, but is an overall failure. The interviews with Singer and Ottman prior to the release of the film are telling. For instance, Ottman felt that the love theme was too old fashioned for Superman Returns (he did end up using it, but he reharmonized it). That's just the wrong attitude. Either continue musical tradition of the series or reboot it. Don't pick and choose.

True also. This is unlikely, but it would be my hope that in The Man of Steel Ottman takes a more straightforward approach in the adaption and furthering of the themes, for instance, using the actual Superman theme more instead of relying on the ostinato. Ah, and ditch that extra note in the love theme--the harmony isn't as much of a problem, but that extra note, while technically sound, doesn't jive quite right. A less overtly modern sounding recording (was this sound also a result of the orchestrations?) would also be immensely helpful--it was lacking some of the lushness of the original--if they are going to attempt to maintain continuity. It could definitely have been worse, though--it could have been a score like Begins.

EDIT: Okay, you're right, that second chord isn't good.

Good news, if not unsurprising. The 8 discs may be going overboard however, the only really good score out of all of them is the first one.

Wouldn't the box be blue and red?

I'm guessing Superman The movie is the Rhino set in better sound,without new alternates

It's quite clear now that they have put all the various alternates and source pieces from all four movies on the eighth disc. So it's likely that "Luthor's Luau" and the various Main Title and Can You Read My Mind alternates will be moved there. I'm sure however that there will be also other alternates so far unreleased.

All of this is pure speculation. Did you know "Scott Bettencourt" isn't even the real name of the guy who wrote today's Film Score Daily? How do you know he isn't just making this stuff up? You people are so gullible.

Damn. So I guess I'll have to hope there will be individual releases down the road.

This seems unlikely.

The only thing Lukas said about a possible re-release a while back is that, depending on how fast it sells and such things, he might consider a plainer re-release, with no book.

I don't think he will release the scores separately-- I'm not even sure he could; I suppose the contract was for everything to be sold in the same set (though it might also not be that specific); in any case, the whole set may be a safer sell and investment (from the producer's standpoint) than 5 separate releases, 3 or 4 of which would hardly sell as well as the first score.

I'm a little confused as to how this will all fit on eight CDs:

1. Superman Disc 1

2. Superman Disc 2

3. Superman II Disc 1

4. Superman II Disc 2

5. Superman III Disc 1

6. Superman III Disc 2

7. Superman IV Disc 1

8. Superman IV Disc 2

9. Animated Series Score

10. Bonus Disc

Ten. Does this mean that the complete scores to Superman II and III will only take one disc each? I can't think of anything other explanation.

Only the first and third scores get the 2-CD treatment.

I am not quite sure what to think and do.

Firstly, I already have the 2CD Rhino (and I had the previous release too).

Secondly, I remember the second score was mostly a re-arrangement of cues from the first one, albeit well done and surely with some bridges.

Thirdly, I don't remember anything from the third score, and I have not even seen the fourth movie yet.

As for the Ron Jones score, since what he did for ST:TNG was good, I suppose he did a good job for that animated series as well.

Lastly, the 160-page book is highly appealing.

And of course, even though it's a relatively good price for all this, it's still a lot for me right now.

I suppose I won't jump on it, but wait as long as possible to buy it.

In the meantime, Varèse's new club CDs and Intrada's releases will also vie for my attention and money, and may well be worth it.

obsupes001a.gif

FYI in this months FSM Online there's an interview with Ken Thorne were he discusses, amongst other things, his involvment with the Superman sequels and his work with Richard Lester.

Like him, I cannot wait to hear this new release.

Looking at the price of this, I'm wondering if we all really want to see an Indiana Jones boxset. It's safe to say that the soundtracks for Superman III and IV are not really something we all were screaming to have... can you imagine how much they'll make it for four Indy scores that they're SURE we'd want?

In good faith that Lucasfilm will not avoid a good ol' fashioned fleecing opportunity, I will withhold my funds and wait to be ripped off by the Indy boxset (if indeed it does come).

The Indy box set will have to be a mass produced item. I feel that the Indy films are placed directly behind the SW films for most sci-fi/nerds/movie buffs. The trilogy of films are viewed as great movies, where it is tough to argue the same for the Superman films. Even the first has aged poorly. I just can't bring myself to believe that we won't see solid releases for these scores. If we have nothing by this time next year I'll be glad to eat my shoe.

edit- I'll be gladly ripped off by any box set that can offer me what the Superman (as we know so far) box set is offering.

Well...

In light of all of this I'm going to sell my Rhino 2-CD set for $20, so pm me if you'd like it.

I have to say what I'm most interested in is the book that's coming with this set, I'm sure there's going to be a LOT of interesting material in there!

Looking at the price of this, I'm wondering if we all really want to see an Indiana Jones boxset.

Of course we do. No one has a single doubt as to the quality of each and every score, whereas we only know for sure the firs Superman score is outstanding; besides, this score has already gotten the full 2-CD treatment, whereas only Raiders got an expanded release.

I don't think such a set (or set of separate releases) would ever be quite as expensive as the individual "Complete Recordings" editions of the TLOTR scores. Remarkable as these releases may be, they are way too expensive.

Though not absolutely comprehensive, the 4-disc Star Wars Anthology box was very well produced and featured a great booklet, but it was affordable.

Those TLOTR editions are even almost as exepensive as the 4-DVD editions of the movies!

I want an Indiana Jones box set!!!!!!!!

Pleaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaase!

obindy_crystal0001.gif

Looking at the price of this, I'm wondering if we all really want to see an Indiana Jones boxset.

Of course we do. No one has a single doubt as to the quality of each and every score, whereas we only know for sure the firs Superman score is outstanding; besides, this score has already gotten the full 2-CD treatment, whereas only Raiders got an expanded release.

I don't think such a set (or set of separate releases) would ever be quite as expensive as the individual "Complete Recordings" editions of the TLOTR scores. Remarkable as these releases may be, they are way too expensive.

Though not absolutely comprehensive, the 4-disc Star Wars Anthology box was very well produced and featured a great booklet, but it was affordable.

Those TLOTR editions are even almost as exepensive as the 4-DVD editions of the movies!

I want an Indiana Jones box set!!!!!!!!

Pleaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaase!

obindy_crystal0001.gif

Actually, the Rings complete score CDs are vastly more expensive than even the special edition DVDs. Which is a bit of a head-scratcher, in my opinion (although soundtrack CDs are such a specialty item relative to DVDs that we are probably lucky they're still being released at all). The music is so g-damn good, though, that I really don't mind paying it. There are precious few scores I'd pay that much money for, but that one? Definitely. Which reminds me . . . I don't have the complete Return of the King yet!

As for an Indiana Jones box set, file that one under the "duh" column. I'd buy one of those, and right quick, too.

I havent this cleared.

Superman II has only one CD?

I have the bootleg on CD, but its a 90 min one.

I hope this is not a cleansing of the LP, nor of the bootleg (minus the damaged tracks...)

I don't know much about this set, but it's reasonable to think that the CD's for II and III might have left out some of the less interesting re-hahsed music.

I havent this cleared.

Superman II has only one CD?

I have the bootleg on CD, but its a 90 min one.

I hope this is not a cleansing of the LP, nor of the bootleg (minus the damaged tracks...)

I don't know much about this set, but it's reasonable to think that the CD's for II and III might have left out some of the less interesting re-hahsed music.

This months FSM Online has a cue sheet for Superman II and III. There's nothing to worry about. In fact there is more Superman II music here than was on that horrible boot!

Neil

So, first Alexcremers and now you.

The devaluation of Raiders has officially begun.

First Jaws, and now this!

Is nothing sacred?!?

In my defense I was talking about the film and not the score.

Well you obviously haven't seen the film in quite a while then, because it hasn't aged poorly at all. Unlike II-IV, especially IV.

That being said; I'm still a fan of II and like parts of III, the film as a whole is extremely weak. I loathe IV. I don't need to go into anything further with that one.

I watched the DVD of the first film only last week. The transfer is splendid. The first film is fantastic. It holds up far better than the mediocre Superman Returns ever will, put it that way, especially in the special effects department.

No phony, plastic looking Superman in the 1978 film. No siree.

The CGI Opening Credits that were meant to resemble the excellent 78' Opening Credits in Returns looked horrible, even by 2006 standards.

The credits flying off look laughable compared to their organic 78' equivalents. They seriously look like they were rendered for the vintage 32-bit PlayStation.

In my defense I was talking about the film and not the score.

Well you obviously haven't seen the film in quite a while then, because it hasn't aged poorly at all. Unlike II-IV, especially IV.

That being said; I'm still a fan of II and like parts of III, the film as a whole is extremely weak. I loathe IV. I don't need to go into anything further with that one.

I watched the DVD of the first film only last week. The transfer is splendid. The first film is fantastic. It holds up far better than the mediocre Superman Returns ever will, put it that way, especially in the special effects department.

No phony, plastic looking Superman in the 1978 film. No siree.

I have to agree with GoldsmithFanatic on this one, at least partially. I finally got around to rewatching I-IV this weekend, and I don't think Superman has aged poorly at all. Not one iota, really. It's still got the same (relatively) minor problems it had when it was released: an overly jokey and cartoonish Luthor, an incredibly ill-conceived set of villainous sidekicks, and a vaguely silly resolution (the turning-back-the-world sequence). On the other hand, Gene Hackman is great, despite my reservations about how Luthor is written; Ned Beatty plays a terrible character, but plays him well; and the emotional buildup to and payoff of the time-reversal scene are both so great that what is sandwiched between them is almost irrelevant, at least to me.

As for what's good, it's still good. Christopher Reeve is flawless; I think that is a truly great performance. The effects still work. The score is awesome. The general quality of the production design, cinematography, costumes, etc. is impeccable. Most of the cast is excellent. I think it's a great movie. Always has been, and always will be.

As for the sequels, that's another story. Superman II, which was always my favorite as a child, is a terrible movie. TERRIBLE. Sure, Terence Stamp is cool as Zod. But that's it. The acting is mostly bad (although Reeve is still quite good), the "humor" is painfully unhumorous, the pacing and editing are poor, the framing of many shots is amateurish, and the notion of Superman relinquishing his powers for Lois is ill-conceived. And the fact that he is able to get them back at the end is as big a cheat as I can think of in movie history. It makes no sense. I had not watched this movie in maybe fifteen years, and I was astonished at how bad it is. How this movie has the reputation it has is an utter mystery to me.

I almost -- almost -- prefer Superman III, which is just as bad in most respects (worse in others), but at least has little in the way of pretension. I do like Annette O'Toole as Lana; she's scrumptious. And again, Reeve is just awesome, especially when he goes ito evil Superman territory. But generally, the less said about this one, the better.

I think Superman IV is actually the best of the sequels. Sure, there are times when the low budget is so evident that it practically hurts, and high camp threatens to descend at any moment. Occasionally, it quits threatening, and just descends (pretty much any time Nuclear Man is onscreen). But I really quite like the message behind the movie: that we've got to solve our problems for ourselves, rather than relying on a Superman to do it for us. Now, don't get me wrong: this isn't a good movie, but I think it's less of a disaster than II and III.

Certainly, the sequels make Superman Returns seem like gold in comparison.

I think Superman II, which was always my favorite as a child, is a terrible movie. TERRIBLE. Sure, Terence Stamp is cool as Zod. But that's it. The acting is mostly bad (although Reeve is still quite good), the "humor" is painfully unhumorous, the pacing and editing are poor, the framing of many shots is amateurish, and the notion of Superman relinquishing his powers for Lois is ill-conceived. And the fact that he is able to get them back at the end is as big a cheat as I can think of in movie history. It makes no sense. I had not watched this movie in maybe fifteen years, and I was astonished at how bad it is. How this movie has the reputation it has is an utter mystery to me.

I almost -- almost -- prefer Superman III, which is just as bad in most respects (worse in others), but at least has little in the way of pretension. I do like Annette O'Toole as Lana; she's scrumptious. And again, Reeve is just awesome, especially when he goes ito evil Superman territory. But generally, the less said about this one, the better.

I think Superman IV is actually the best of the sequels. Sure, there are times when the low budget is so evident that it practically hurts, and high camp threatens to descend at any moment. Occasionally, it quits threatening, and just descends (pretty much any time Nuclear Man is onscreen). But I really quite like the message behind the movie: that we've got to solve our problems for ourselves, rather than relying on a Superman to do it for us. Now, don't get me wrong: this isn't a good movie, but I think it's less of a disaster than II and III.

"I find your lack of taste disturbing." :(

Nobody on this earth is ever going to convince me, nor the large majority of fans that Superman IV is a better film than Superman II. Not in a million years, because it so clearly isn't.

I find such an analysis to be nothing but absurd.

Superman II does have its fair share of flaws, there is no denying that, but WOW... You mustn't have seen very many terrible films if you seriously believe Superman II to fall into that category.

It baffles me your claiming that the framing of many shots in Superman II are "amateurish" Yet everything about Superman IV is amateurish.

As for the "Superman IV Simpletons Society" who always like to use the tired "You can't polish a terd" line when it comes to Supergirl.

Superman IV isn't worthy of being labeled a terd. "It's a diarrhea explosion of stench".