Film Score Monthly announces the Blue Box - Superman.

TownerFan

Quite an insightful self-analysis which obviously applies to many people on the various boards.

- Edited to add the following -

I cannot agree nor disagree with the "forgettable scores" comment, as I don't remember III, don't know IV, and don't know Jones' score.

What I am agreeing with here is the fact that many fantasize on "impossible releases", and set themselves up for a huge disappointment.

Not unless you're familiar with the other three scores plus Ron Jones' work and want to hear them.

And to be quite honest there are a couple of cues from Superman II that I prefer over Williams own version from the first film.

I like her tits.

Beautiful face too (firstly, actually; the rest would be of no use if she were ugly).

Ehh, you can always turn off the lights.

The Blue Box... reason it like this:

$10 for each of the 8 CDs.

$20 for the packaging

$20 for the book

The only catch is, we have to buy everything together. <_<

As we all know, this set will sell-out, so if you might regret passing on the purchase, buy it as soon as possible. You can always re-sell it (ebay, the trading board, etc.) and get your money back.

I'll be ordering from Buysoundtrax on release day.

I wish they had utilized the SA-CD format for the Blue Box... maybe they did...!!! (We can only hope.)

Good luck.

Good luck indeed. Mattmane you're better off going through Screen Archives or MovieMusic.com. If you go through BSX, you'll be waiting forever to get your CD's if you even do...

I hate to say but you are an idiot for going through BSX if that's who you choose to go through.

I'm in no rush to get the set. I just want it ordered. And since I recently placed a large order from BSX, their gonna give me free shipping on the Blue Box.

Idiot? I think not. <_<

I'm in no rush to get the set. I just want it ordered. And since I recently placed a large order from BSX, their gonna give me free shipping on the Blue Box.

Idiot? I think not. <_<

but dont expect BSX to wait in the night for the release of the box...

I've ordered only once from BuySoundtrax -- several years ago. I received my order promptly enough, but the shipment was poorly packaged, resulting in some cracked or fragmented jewel cases.

BSX sometimes delays shipments because some titles are currently out of stock of certain ordered titles. But they come eventually. Their discounts and free CD offers are often enticing - especially when they overlap.

That's another thing, though. What percentage of these limited edition releases (from Varese, FSM) are allotted to the other online soundtrack sellers (Screen Archives, BSX, etc.)?

And does one get them in stock before the other? I wonder...

You obviously never read any of other people's posts regarding how BSX screwed them over with an order. I wouldn't order through BSX even if they were the last soundtrack retailer on Earth. They have a very bad reputation on all film score boards, not just this one...

You obviously never read any of other people's posts regarding how BSX screwed them over with an order. I wouldn't order through BSX even if they were the last soundtrack retailer on Earth. They have a very bad reputation on all film score boards, not just this one...

Wow, you hate them that much? Have they ever screwed you over?

I'm sure BSX is aware of their less-than-stellar reputation, and that's why they're trying to keep my business. Discounts do make ordering (through them vs. SAE) more appealing. They haven't screwed me yet - just a bit slow on multiple CD orders. Not a big deal, as far as I'm concerned.

No I have never ordered from them and never will. If I was some average Joe and read so many complaints about a company like that, it will be enough for me to stay away which it obviously has. I'm not even surprised any more that people order from them....I will NEVER order from them period.

1/ I preferred your previous ("Supergirl") avatar :)

2/

Speaking of ugly, I dare ya to see those new naked pics of Lindsay Lohan trying to look like Marilyn Monroe. I swear, you'll be lucky to sport a boner in 50 years.

I saw them yesterday; the medium shots are okay, but the close-up of her on a bed is truly awful indeed.

3/ Tomorrow is S-day (there, my reply is on topic now :cool: )

I've been wanting a remastered score for Superman: The Movie ever since I bought the Rhino set. I can't wait to hear it as well as the complete score for Superman II.

Same here. 8O I guess I'll be ordering too, though I'm only coming home (from a concert of Rimski-Korsakov's Scheherazade) one hour after the sale start and I hope that all 3000 copies won't have gone already ... :blink: Living in Europe, it'll also be not quite so "friendly-priced" for me (shipping costs, import taxes, VAT ...), but somehow I've also decided that it's a must-have box for me. :)

Same here. :P I guess I'll be ordering too, though I'm only coming home (from a concert of Rimski-Korsakov's Scheherazade) one hour after the sale start and I hope that all 3000 copies won't have gone already ... :angry:

It is always difficult to guess such things, but with Varèse's Club CDs just around the bend, and many people being a bit on the fence regarding the Superman set, I don't think it will set out tomorrow, let alone in two hours.

Living in Europe, it'll also be not quite so "friendly-priced" for me (shipping costs, import taxes, VAT ...), but somehow I've also decided that it's a must-have box for me. :)

At least, for the past few years, we have been helped by the dollar-euro change.

Are you often taxed on your orders?

I have only been taxed once on CDs-- and of course, it had to be on an expensive order, namely, the Goldsmith at Fox set.

:\

Good luck.

Good luck indeed. Mattmane you're better off going through Screen Archives or MovieMusic.com. If you go through BSX, you'll be waiting forever to get your CD's if you even do...

I hate to say but you are an idiot for going through BSX if that's who you choose to go through.

I, too, will not buy from BSX ever again.

Poorly packaged, and as slow as hell.

Doesn't get any worse than that... unless the wrong cd came. Or if nothing came at all.

It is always difficult to guess such things, but with Varèse's Club CDs just around the bend, and many people being a bit on the fence regarding the Superman set, I don't think it will set out tomorrow, let alone in two hours.

I agree with you on that one Olivier. Even Lukas Kendall himself stated he doubt it will be fast seller since most people all ready have the Rhino set. It will probably be around for a month or so. I'll be surprised if it sells out within a weeks time.

I will order my copy at Movie Music. They have the cheapest shipping costs (6 dollars). At Screen Archives people who live in Europe will have to pay 21 dollars for shipping.

That's quite a difference.

I suppose you have already ordered CDs from them, possibly a comparable number of CDs at once?

I'll have to check out their site.

I will order my copy at Movie Music. They have the cheapest shipping costs (6 dollars). At Screen Archives people who live in Europe will have to pay 21 dollars for shipping.

That's quite a difference.

I suppose you have already ordered CDs from them, possibly a comparable number of CDs at once?

I'll have to check out their site.

According to their site, the shipping fees for international orders are $6 "plus $2 for each additional item, plus additional fees for larger box sets", so s/h for his box set will be more than $6 or $10.

7 * $2 for additional CDs already amounts to $14 more, $20 in total-- $1 cheaper than SAE, which does not seem that more interesting.

:\

Thanks for pointing that out! But why does it only go on sale on February 28th there instead of today? :blink:

Are you often taxed on your orders?

Oh yeah, almost every time I order something (usually CDs or books) from USA (which is at least several times a year), I get taxed. Customs charges, 20 % or 8,5 % VAT and some post charges. ;) But the "funny" thing is that even after all these expenses, I usually manage to save a little something as opposed to our prices in Slovenia. :P So yeah, the $/€ relationship is certainly a good thing for us. :D

When I ordered the set only 6 dollars were charged. I've e-mailed Peter at Movie Music to clear things up.

Please copy his reply here when you receive it, willya? ;)

In the mean time, here is the full press release or whatever. It seems Williams wrote a third theme for Superman IV:

The Holy Grail for Superman music aficionados has been the completely unreleased score to the fourth film, Superman IV: The Quest for Peace (1987), for which Williams' themes were adapted by his longtime friend and occasional collaborator, Alexander Courage. With Superman IV being an attempt to restore the quality of the franchise, it was decided that all major Williams themes would be used (where appropriate) in the new score. What's more, Williams himself contributed three new melodies for Courage's use: "Someone Like You," a sultry, sexy melody (recalling the swinging sixties work of "Johnny" Williams) for Mariel Hemingway's character of a young newspaper executive; "Nuclear Man Theme," a driving action theme for the radioactive villain played by Mark Pillow, treated in versions alternately dramatic and comedic; and – sure to be a delightful surprise – "Jeremy's Theme," a lyrical theme for the young boy who appeals to Superman to rid the world of nuclear weapons.

The second half of disc 6 features the music by the other composer whose work was abridged when Superman IV was cut for release: Paul Fishman, son of composer and music supervisor Jack Fishman and a recording artist with 1980s British techno-pop band Re-Flex. Fishman was hired to provide contemporary pop music primarily for a sequence at the Metro Club discotheque (where the "First Nuclear Man" – a deleted character – shows up to battle Superman). When the character and sequence was cut, it resulted in the deletion of most of Fishman's contributions to the movie (and the cancellation of a planned soundtrack album).

Does this mean that we're also getting those hideous cues that were featured in the deleted scenes of the Superman IV DVD? ;)

Well, they haven't left out really anything! :blink:

Maurizio -- very intrigued by the unexpected third theme composed by JW for Superman IV.

If you all are curious about what the set looks like, go here:

http://www.capedwonder.com/newwebsite/pages/S-music.htm

BTW people on FSM are freaking out beacuse SAE's site is down right now. SAE is probably updating the site with the info and some people are thinking they're not gonna be able to get their copy. Geez...talk about mass histeria.

BTW people on FSM are freaking out beacuse SAE's site is down right now. SAE is probably updating the site with the info and some people are thinking they're not gonna be able to get their copy. Geez...talk about mass histeria.

You said it. Anyway, it could very well be that the website broke down due to large traffic. But I think they were expecting a huge response, so maybe they're only ironing out some tech issues.

I usually get an email from SAE when their new releases come out, so their server is probably tied up trying to get those sent out since I haven't gotten it for this yet.

I've got a replay from Peter at Movie Music and this is what he wrote:

Yes, we'll see what the final cost is once I have the boxes here to measure the weight. If I get enough Superman box orders I might keep the 6 fee in place, however, if the low fee causes me to lose money, it will be adjusted. But I will promise it won't be more than $15. I am aiming for $10. The orders have been good, so it looks like $6 - $10 may be the final fee.

Lukas Kendall just posted on FSM that he talked to the people at Screen Archives and it was indeed traffic that brought their servers down. The set not only is attracting film score fans but comic book fans too.