Film Score Monthly announces the Blue Box - Superman.

TownerFan

Oh dear.

Now I'm tempted...

That's it young Skywalker! Give in to the temptation of the dark side of the force...er, commerce. Feel the delightful agony of your bank balance diminishing! ;)

Of course you would have some pretty terrific music that purportedly sounds better than the Rhino 2-disc where Superman The Movie is concerned. What is weird is how they have re-named some tracks. Like Sonic Greeting has been re-named To The Lair. Weird. The only reason I hesitated buying this is because that track is um, well, SUPER.

Poor suckers! The music of the other supes movies ain't worth a dime.

I disagree. Superman IV is fantastic.

Neil

Alex should stick to reviewing movies.

I would also add that Superman III is a very good score as well. Superman II has several good takes on Williams' music. In fact I prefer Thorne's version of Williams music used for the battle over Metropolis.

II is the score I'm least interested in. III has some very nice moments (that I can remember, it's been years since I saw the film, thankfully -- there's probably more than I've forgotten about), and IV is actually a really good score. I'm looking foward to all of them.

;) John Williams - Star Wars

What is weird is how they have re-named some tracks. Like Sonic Greeting has been re-named To The Lair. Weird.

Hi Fiery, it seems they have re-named a handful of them to match the original cue names.

Finally got order confirmation, after a panicky couple of hours where my payment was accepted but I was showing no orders under my account (at Screen Archives). Now the order is there and confirmed. Yay!

Ordered...

I'm going to regret this when I get my credit card bill...

Same here, if it makes you feel any better. :P;)

When will this start shipping, on 28th? :) (I ordered from Screen Archives.)

I didn't have high hopes for Superman IV, given that Courage has said the score wasn't worth issuing on LP or CD (Superman was apparently the same, only better). You have to wonder just how little he thought of his own work; then again, it is almost more Williams's work.

The sound clips have definitely quelled those worries. It's going to be great.

Oh don't get me wrong, I enjoy the music from all 3 sequels. Superman II is a wonderful adaptation, played with great energy. Superman III is very good, especially all of the third act material, starting with the balloons going down into the canyon. The true revelation of this set though is Superman IV. Alexander Courage scored an awful lot of this picture that has never been seen, plus the music mix in the film isn't the strongest, so to completely write it off without even hearing it properly or at all is foolish of anyone to do. It's a real gem, possibly the highlight of Courage's awesome career. It's never had the respect it clearly deserves. This release sets everything right.

And of course Williams wrote three, not two, new themes for Superman IV. While I enjoy "Nuclear Man's Theme" it's the other two I find myself listening to more and more. More 80s Williams music is always a good thing.

Neil

BTW those of you who ordered from Peter at MovieMusic, DO NOT worry you will get a copy. I exchanged emails with him yesterday and he says he will be able to get all the copies he needs for everyone that ordered through him. SAE had no choice but to let him get those. He also said that he won't be getting his copies until March 7th at the latest since SAE isn't getting theirs until next Friday (the 29th). I thought I'd just pass this info along.

Still contemplating whether I'm going to buy it or not. All signs point towards yes, but I better hurry up and decide.

So,I did get a paypal receipt and went through checkout with no hitch at SAE,but am i supposed to also get a special confirmation e-mail from them ?

As soon as I placed my order, paying with Credit Card, I received a mail from SAE confirming the order.

they better because it's already paid for.I do have an order number and everything.Maybe the Paypal confirmation serves as confirmation,as I didn't use a credit card directly.

Still contemplating whether I'm going to buy it or not. All signs point towards yes, but I better hurry up and decide.

If you want a remastered version for Superman: The Movie as well as the complete scores for the other four films then you should get this set before it sells out. I'm sure if you skip it later down the road you might end up kicking yourself in the ass for it.

Ordered...

Easy: just don't read it!

:)

I don't have to read mine to know it's a lot for me, too, right now, anyway.

;)

As soon as I'd (finally!!!) ordered my set I was gripped by a sudden sense of doubt. A sense of "My God, what have I done?" Then I saw the photo of the contents of the blue box in the e-mail from FSM and I had a sense of "What I had to do. What I always do. Turn death into a fighting chance to live" :lol:

Why don't people put money into their credit card account so then you don't have to worry about spending the banks own cash???

If you want a remastered version for Superman: The Movie as well as the complete scores for the other four films then you should get this set before it sells out. I'm sure if you skip it later down the road you might end up kicking yourself in the ass for it.

Well, I took the plunge and got it off of Movie Music. Also picked up Forrest Gump (score) and Kiss Kiss Bang Bang to utilize $1.00 shipping.

Now the sense of doubt creeps in.... :lol:

Well, I took the plunge and got it off of Movie Music. Also picked up Forrest Gump (score) and Kiss Kiss Bang Bang to utilize $1.00 shipping.

Now the sense of doubt creeps in.... :lol:

Good man. :lol: Don't let doubt creep in. I'm sure that you won't be disappointed with the set as well as the others who have boughten it. I really can't wait to own it, I'm really excited to hear the remastered score for Superman. It looks like I will have to buy me the 16GB model for the iPod Touch after all especially if these scores will be going onto the player lol.

Ordered...

Same here, if it makes you feel any better. :P:lol:

When will this start shipping, on 28th? :lol: (I ordered from Screen Archives.)

SAE's estimated date is February 29th, but I'm sure they will start shipping as soon as they get the boxes from the plant and not wait.

So,I did get a paypal receipt and went through checkout with no hitch at SAE,but am i supposed to also get a special confirmation e-mail from them ?

As soon as I placed my order, paying with Credit Card, I received a mail from SAE confirming the order.

Me too, got an e-mail 30 seconds or so after the final order confirmation (also paid with credit card).

Thanks for info, Olivier. :lol:

I'm somewhat suprised that Lukas and SAE didn't see this coming but I don't know how you rectify this, maybe they should have put it up for pre-order but then you still run the risk of everyone rushing to buy.

They shouldn't have announced the exact date and time, that was foolish. They should have put it up at like midnight and let word get around on its own. It would have been more gradual and not every nerd on the internet hitting it up at the exact same time crashing the site.

Why don't people put money into their credit card account so then you don't have to worry about spending the banks own cash???

I had $60 in rebates on my Discover Card which I cashed in. So, Discover Card subsidized my set, I only have to cough up $70!

they better because it's already paid for.I do have an order number and everything.Maybe the Paypal confirmation serves as confirmation,as I didn't use a credit card directly.

I always use PayPal for SAE and they never send another confirmation directly: they do send a mail when it's been shipped. Same this time too.

Just out of interest, did anyone here get an autographed copy?

- Rob, who would have liked one, but could in no way justify the extra cost :lol:

:lol: Jerry Goldsmith - The Last Run

I think the date and time was announced to give everyone a fair shot at getting one of the autographed copies.

Because of the heavy traffic and overload it became luck of the draw anyway.

They should put autographed copies up for sale first, let the 50 people who want them fight it out, then start selling the normal copies after the madness ends.

Amongst some of the embarrassing crap that gets posted at FSM in the many Superman-Blue Box threads, one thread in particular has had some talk about the alternates and source cues from Superman the Movie.

Mike Matessino has replied with this bit of interesting info -

With a 160 page book to work with we were able to go into precise detail of every cue. Thanks to recently discovered documentation we now know how the scenes were structured at the time of scoring and we also explain how they were ultimately edited for both the theatrical and television edits. So while I don't want to eclipse the experience of reading the book, I'll just comment on a couple of items that have been mentioned:

The alternate "Baby's Trip to Earth" was not recorded. It's much shorter and quite different from the finished version. The original version of this scene did not include the Jor-El instructional voiceover. That idea came later and was created editorially, which necessitated a complete revision of the cue.

In the revised version, the part that was edited out of the film simply covered over additional special effects material that was deleted. The shots of the crystal ark passing the Phantom Zone villains was actually part of "The Kryptonquake" when that cue was scored. The extended DVD version of the film reproduced the edits (including music) that were done for the TV edition, which had those shots as part of the "trip to Earth" scene.

For "Racing the Train," the material with Lois and her parents was already cut before Williams scored the scene. The additional music only covered more shots of the train and Clark approaching the crossing.

"Sunday Meeting" was done with a small chamber organ and was not for a deleted funeral scene but was meant to be coming from the radio in the Kents' truck - basically the strains of a church service broadcast. It's basically just a hymn tune but was far too junky sounding to release. It's not anything that should be missed. It was great to get the other Williams source music included as well as Thorne's. They're a lot of fun.

No evidence was found that "Can You Read My Mind" was ever recorded by Toni Tennille. I asked her about it and she didn't recall ever singing it. It's likely that was the plan but that it was decided to use Margot before it got that far. Margot very sweetly and humorously recounted the experience of recording her vocal. No recording of her singing attempt was discovered; my guess is that she rehearsed it but they decided to have her recite it before they actually recorded.

Mike

"Sunday Meeting" was done with a small chamber organ and was not for a deleted funeral scene but was meant to be coming from the radio in the Kents' truck - basically the strains of a church service broadcast. It's basically just a hymn tune but was far too junky sounding to release. It's not anything that should be missed. It was great to get the other Williams source music included as well as Thorne's. They're a lot of fun.

So there is still one Williams' source cue missing?

Hi Stefan, I understand your concern man, but I don't think we'll being seeing any threads on why the Blue Box sucks due to the unreleased Organ source music, well I hope not anyway.

I just thought it was interesting because an old FSM article by Mike M had this to say -

"Sunday Morning" - One scene that didn't make it into the television version was a church scene that seems to have come right after the scene in the Smallville cemetery. It is just a short fragment, and also included on the score reels are some wild church bells, presumably for an establishing shot.

Anyway, we do have the Organ piece from The Ghostbreaker ;)

Sigh, here we go.

You can still cancel your order, Manuel.

I wish i ordered it. :(

You still can. :o