Film Score Monthly announces the Blue Box - Superman.

TownerFan

I'm going to try and resist listening to any Superman music until my set arrives.

I can't wait, I've been listening to the sound clips on SAE's site.

While the brass on Superman II isn't as strong as the first film, the performance of the music is much better than I remember.

Both Thorne and Courage treated Williams music with great respect unlike the way it was presented in Superman Returns.

I'm going to try and resist listening to any Superman music until my set arrives.

While the brass on Superman II isn't as strong as the first film, the performance of the music is much better than I remember.

Both Thorne and Courage treated Williams music with great respect unlike the way it was presented in Superman Returns.

Oh, but the opening titles of Superman Returns were beautifully done, visually and musically!

Oh, but the opening titles of Superman Returns were beautifully done, visually and musically!

Yeah if you like Williams' music butchered and edited not to mention the Bay like camera motion.

If I had watched SR on the Imax screen I probably would have gotten motion sickness.

Yeah if you like Williams' music butchered and edited not to mention the Bay like camera motion.

If I had watched SR on the Imax screen I probably would have gotten motion sickness.

Yeah, it was absolutely stupid. Superman with ADD. Williams's music wasn't edited too horribly, but the performance was weak.

Yeah, it was absolutely stupid. Superman with ADD. Williams's music wasn't edited too horribly, but the performance was weak.

Well I did my own edit of Superman Returns and the first thing I did was do a new title sequence for the movie using the extended Main Title for the movie that was on the CD. That is the way in should have been movie, not a minute shorter as it was in the movie. Granted its nothing special (simply text zooming against a starfield) but I consider it to be a vast improvement over the actual main title sequence of Returns. It had great potential, but its speed ruined it, as half the credits weren't even legible (esp. Williams').

For Ottman's music as a whole, I liked it and thought he followed in Thorne's and Courage's tradition of staying true to Williams' music. You can't judge the music based on the film, as it is not his fault that the film has flaws (even though he was the editor). :)

Oh, the film version of "Main Titles" is a minute shorter than on CD? Never mind what I said, then. It probably sucks hard.

Ottman retained most of Williams's themes, but it's obvious he didn't respect the score to Superman - The Movie. He dismissed "March of the Villains" because it was too comical, for instance. Kevin Spacey's Lex Luthor was comical enough for the theme to work in some permutation. I imagine the theme was dropped because modern audiences think tubas and dissonant music are dumb. That sort of thing.

Oh, the film version of "Main Titles" is a minute shorter than on CD? Never mind what I said, then. It probably sucks hard.

Ottman retained most of Williams's themes, but it's obvious he didn't respect the score to Superman - The Movie. He dismissed "March of the Villains" because it was too comical, for instance. Kevin Spacey's Lex Luthor was comical enough for the theme to work in some permutation. I imagine the theme was dropped because modern audiences think tubas and dissonant music are dumb. That sort of thing.

Ok ok, I only saw it once at the cinema so I can't remember it all that well. I do remember getting chills of nostalgic excitement at the opening credits though. I figured it can't have been THAT bad! I guess I'll have to watch it again.

The villains in the new film were not as bumbling as they were in Superman: The Movie. Having "March of the Villiains" playing as the kryptonite island thingy started growing wouldn't have sounded right. And though I generally think the score to SR was a bad one (especially when compared to JW's Superman), Luthor's theme is, IMO, the best part, and is better than "March of the Villians."

I hated SR when I saw it, but when it comes to Luthor's new theme, I think that is one of the few superior qualities.

He dismissed "March of the Villains" because it was too comical, for instance.

And that same same logic also gave us the horrific 'un-dated' reharmonization of the Love Theme, but that subject is well worn out.

I think the usage of the Villians Theme in Superman The Movie during the kryptonite scenes with Superman and Luthor is much more sinister than its normal comical setting and could certainly have been adapted but perhaps it's for the best it wasn't.

I've always disliked the March of the Villains, more as a fault of the Luthor character in the Superman movies. Never should have been a bumbling real estate mogul, which he was in Returns but not for the comedy.

I hate to admit it,but for a long time I prefered the Main Titles of Superman 2 .

Wel, I did my taxes today, and the decent-sized return coming my way has allowed me to feel guilt-free about the damn Blue Box...so I ordered it (along with The Spiderwick Chronicles, just for good measure)! :)

I actually really like Luthor's theme from Superman Returns.

I'm still doubting whether to order this set. I did just order Matilda, but the price tag on this box is still holding me back... :)

Anyone notice the "Main Title" music on the FSM STM disc is the "End Title" music in the movie? Check out the SAE sound-clip.

Yeah, someone mentioned this in a post on the FSM board. Mike M had this to say about it -

The main and end titles are now presented as intended by Williams. The march portions were switcherooed in the film for reasons still unknown. There's a lot to cover about this issue and it's so confusing that there are 2 pages in the book devoted to explaining it. It will also be covered in a couple of interviews coming up this week.

Mike

I'm still doubting whether to order this set. I did just order Matilda, but the price tag on this box is still holding me back... :blink:

You just paid $20 for a single disc with 60 minutes of music and the price tag on Superman is holding you back?

Living in Europe, I'll probably receive my set somewhere in mid-March ... :P But I'll live, I've had to wait for so many magnificent soundtracks already (and for quite longer than that) that I've already developed kind of nonchalant attitude towards it. :blink:

I'm still doubting whether to order this set. I did just order Matilda, but the price tag on this box is still holding me back... :blink:

You just paid $20 for a single disc with 60 minutes of music and the price tag on Superman is holding you back?

Big difference between $20.00 and $120.00, regardless of how many CDs. Not everyone is made out of money.

So the issue is how much you have to part with at one time, not the value of the item. I get what you're saying. I was just thinking that 6 releases like Matilda would run you the same cost as Superman, and with 8 discs with almost 10 hours of music, plus a book, the "price tag" isn't what's holding you back - it's the wallet!

I don't like those impossible to replace quadruple jewel cases. I bet teeth will be broken upon arrival,making the c.d.'s not hold inside properly

Yes - to be honest I was hoping for something a little more akin to the 9-Disc War of the Worlds set with the CD's actually encased inside the book....but I will live with this :blink:

I know it's still early, but has anyone know when we can expect these sets to start arriving?

I was hoping mine would arrive faster than a speeding bullet.

Didn't I read somewhere SAE expected to get them from the manufacturers on Feb 29? Tried searching again for where I read it but can't find it now. Dang. But I'm pretty sure that's when they were getting them, so probably they'll start shipping them ASAP after that.

Very true. Thanks for the pic Greg. I'm very excited.

I was hoping to add something of value here to justify this post, but I can't think of anything. Sorry guys. Damn that internet forum etiquette cartoon! It's making me self-conscious every time I post.

I hope they don't rush the pressing and check for possible defective disks before shipping

I've tried all of the discs on all of my CD players and I did not have any issues.

Neil

I don't like those impossible to replace quadruple jewel cases. I bet teeth will be broken upon arrival,making the c.d.'s not hold inside properly

Impossible to replace? Howcome? I can find them in any electronics store...

Hmmmmm - they are pretty much unavilable in the uk as spares....so if mine do end up coming a cropper I might well be sending you my order!!

:P

me too. I only found a store, but i never looked others since i was happy with the one i found

Hmmmmm - they are pretty much unavilable in the uk as spares....so if mine do end up coming a cropper I might well be sending you my order!!

:P

Well, the outside bases can be swaped by the ones in any regular case...