Film Score Monthly announces the Blue Box - Superman.

TownerFan

Anyone Else noticing that Windows Media Player thinks Disc 2 of the set is the 25th Anniversary Edition of Michael Jackson's "Thriller" Album...

I gotta say... when that poped up, I nearly died.

Anyone Else noticing that Windows Media Player thinks Disc 2 of the set is the 25th Anniversary Edition of Michael Jackson's "Thriller" Album...

:)

Wow, that was random.

I tired correcting it,but since that set has only 16 tracks, It wouldn't accept the track names for anything past 16 and I couldn't figure out how to remove the cover art so there is somewhere on there now disc 2, 16 tracks, with michael jackson cover lol

I still gotta say though... I wish the score were a bit brighter... It does NOT sound bad... and with minimal adjustments, it is perfect... but I wish I didn't have to make them lol

Past that and some loose Michael Jackson connection, no complaints. I've been reading the booklet... I need to listen to the rest though...

The Quest for Peace is a real treat, and that's not to knock the Thorne entries, as they definitely have their surprises, but man! Good stuff!

Anyone else having trouble with the booklet?

I have had it less than a day, and already all the pages for disc 7 and 8 have fallen out and it looks like more are on their way. The whole binding just... undid itself...the string through the pages snapped it looked liks and the binding broke.

I didn't really do anything except flip through it... I've never had that happen before lol... especially after having it but a day.

Think they might fix it or should I just give up and accept it as a loss?

EDIT:

IT would seem that they ARE replacing defective books:

Lukas Blog

the manufacturer of the books really screwed them.

Agreed. There's no reason why these books should be so flimsy unless the binders are a cowboy outfit. Thank goodness this thing is selling so well! Hopefully FSM are making enough of a profit that the extra expense of making extra books isn't going to cripple them. They really do deserve to get rich (comparatively speaking) off this excellent set.

OK: My thoughts on Superman IV disk 1. WOW. This is wonderful music. The treatments of Williams' themes are all extremely creative, confident and assured. Courage has had fun writing every second of this score (it seems). Some of the arrangements (especially of "can you read my mind") are wonderfully inventive. Often he's completely turned the feeling of the original theme on it's head, but made it work!

Superman IV is easily the best of the sequel scores. I still have the second disk to listen to (which I'll get to in a few days), but thus far I am highly impressed.

Mine arrived this morning, definitely worth the wait. Top marks all round for this dream of a box set!

To hear Leaving Home without distortion, an even crisper brass and rounded timpani sound is just stunning!

I have yet to get to the sequels but intend to leave work early today with a sore head!!! ;)

The book problem is unfortunate but realistically is far outweighed by the sheer quality of the essence of this set - the music! Lukas and the team are delivering unrivalled service to remedy the issue so we should not worry.

It's here!

Shipped last Thursday, arrived today. ;)

And of course... the first signature was already very very loose and hanging by a few molecules; so much so the book opened itself to page 16 when I started opening it.

:lol:

Here are a few pictures:

http://ob777.free.fr/superset/

I have written SAE about it.

Right now, I am making wav backup copies on my laptop. An unfortunate headache will prevent my listening to anything until later in the afternoon, after a litttle rest. :\

Finally got the set yesterday and have enjoyed the first 3 discs. They sound great and definately worth the money.

About the Michael Jackson problem, I have that too but I'm pretty sure you can get rid of it. If you go to your library in WMP and open the folder, select all items and right click and select Advanced Tag Editor. There you should be able to delete the Jacko cover and replace it. I would try it myself but I put the discs on a different computer and can't check until Sunday.

I always do my own tagging of MP3s and never allow a program to download the information from the internet. Mostly because usually it'd do it wrong or not in the same "style" as I do my own tags, etc. You can do this with a program like MP3 Tag Tools, but there are many others available. The built-in WMP advanced tag editor tends to mess up things, so I don't use that.

Those pictures are horrible! Luckily mine is just very loose, but looks nowhere near as poor as yours.

Pop in the score to Superman IV. That should cure your head. :)

Thanks for the suggestion, but I was already asleep by then. I did play the Superman theme first, though, so that I could at least hear 4 minutes of this set :|

As for Superman IV, I watched it last evening, for the first time ever; the score was great; I liked the new themes and the way Courage played with existing material-- so far as I could hear amidst the sound effects and dialogue.

the manufacturer of the books really screwed them.

Agreed. There's no reason why these books should be so flimsy unless the binders are a cowboy outfit. Thank goodness this thing is selling so well! Hopefully FSM are making enough of a profit that the extra expense of making extra books isn't going to cripple them. They really do deserve to get rich (comparatively speaking) off this excellent set.

I think Mr. Kendall said that the books for preplacing are being made in expense of the manufacturer. And rightly so.

@Mark nice collection. :)

It sucks when the spine in trilogies or series do no fit with others (looking at the LOTR CR)...

I HATE that.

I like the II and III so much that I "can't" progress to IV. :| A few more days. :D

Despite being a percussionist, I can't imagine what instrument is used (and how is it played) to produce a weird "flapping" sound that is particularly prominent already in the first movie in the Krypton villains trial sequence, but can probably be heard most clearly in II, track 6, first part (Ursa Flies Over Moon), 0:47-1:06. Can anybody help me with that? :)

Despite being a percussionist, I can't imagine what instrument is used (and how is it played) to produce a weird "flapping" sound that is particularly prominent already in the first movie in the Krypton villains trial sequence, but can probably be heard most clearly in II, track 6, first part (Ursa Flies Over Moon), 0:47-1:06. Can anybody help me with that? :rolleyes:

My Blue Box hasn't arrived yet so I can't check out Ursa Flies Over Moon, but if you're talking about the percussion that plays leading up to the 'guilty' sentence it appears to be a bass drum, muffled drum and a log played with sticks.

My box arrived!

The sound is AWESOME!

And yes, my book is cracked!

If anyone has been riding the fence about buying this, as I was, go ahead and give in. I am almost speechless regarding how great Superman The Movie sounds!

Here's a goofy question, the kind of thing that I think about... Do you guys think that FSM sent JW a copy of this set?

Here's a goofy question, the kind of thing that I think about... Do you guys think that FSM sent JW a copy of this set?

Yes, they gave him one of the autographed copies.

Despite being a percussionist, I can't imagine what instrument is used (and how is it played) to produce a weird "flapping" sound that is particularly prominent already in the first movie in the Krypton villains trial sequence, but can probably be heard most clearly in II, track 6, first part (Ursa Flies Over Moon), 0:47-1:06. Can anybody help me with that? :rolleyes:

My Blue Box hasn't arrived yet so I can't check out Ursa Flies Over Moon, but if you're talking about the percussion that plays leading up to the 'guilty' sentence it appears to be a bass drum, muffled drum and a log played with sticks.

Hm, it sounds to me as if it's one drum only, not three being played simultaneously. :blink: Wait for your set to arrive, listen to the mentioned part of the track and then we'll discuss it further. ;)

@ MrScratch: How can you be so sure? :blink:

Hm, it sounds to me as if it's one drum only, not three being played simultaneously. :rolleyes: Wait for your set to arrive, listen to the mentioned part of the track and then we'll discuss it further. :blink:

Hi, someone was kind enough to send me the track from Superman II.

There's a slight difference in the orchestration, in SII for me most notably what sounds like the strings/low strings playing Col Legno but I don't think that is the flapping sound you mentioned.

In both versions there is a bass drum, the tone is different in each version but it's definitely there.

There is a snare in the original, no doubt about that. There could be in the other version too but perhaps with the snares off as to me it's not as obvious.

There is another percussion part in the original that almost mirrors the snare pattern but is slightly different at times.

Something quite hollow and ethnic ( log played with sticks ).

There sounds like a couple of different 'ethnic' type percussion parts in the second, they are different and both panned pretty hard.

Also, it sounds as though the piano part has been slightly adapted to fit the change in the orchestration for the second version.

It's here.

Yay!

What, you only just got yours? I've had mine so long I'm bored with it. I'm enjoying the new Indy soundtrack though. :eek:

I'm still enjoying the Superman box but the rest of my family is starting to get annoyed. :blink:

It's here.

Yay!

What, you only just got yours? I've had mine so long I'm bored with it. I'm enjoying the new Indy soundtrack though. :eek:

I'm still enjoying the Superman box but the rest of my family is starting to get annoyed. :blink:

it happens to me sometimes.

damn film series.

I don't think anyone posted this... but yesterday Lukas Kendall reported being about 400 left of the first edition. Hopefully if it's still available in a month or so I'll get it, if not I'll wait for the next pressing.