Film Score Monthly announces the Blue Box - Superman.

TownerFan

I don't think anyone posted this... but yesterday Lukas Kendall reported being about 400 left of the first edition. Hopefully if it's still available in a month or so I'll get it, if not I'll wait for the next pressing.

Just read this from March 10th. :blink:

Frankly if I had been Lukas K, I would have waited to announce this till there were only 10 copies left or something. Makes me look greedy, but FSM deserves all the money it can get.

It's good for the tranquillity of mind for the people who can't afford it right now though.

(Meanwhile, back over at the FSM board, our KM is fighting nobly in a lost war against some pretty scary people indeed :P )

Some people are freaking nut cases there. I even wonder if some of them roam other film music message boards to make lists of people who own bootlegs,then find out their names and send them to record companies.

Frankly if I had been Lukas K, I would have waited to announce this till there were only 10 copies left or something. Makes me look greedy, but FSM deserves all the money it can get.

It's good for the tranquillity of mind for the people who can't afford it right now though.

(Meanwhile, back over at the FSM board, our KM is fighting nobly in a lost war against some pretty scary people indeed :P )

There's nothing noble about it.

It's a whole different world from this MB. Here we are always joking around,even when we have Zimmer bashing thread and such things they are always half serious .Most posts have sarcasm in them and everyone feels free to speak their minds. Personally,I've never been more than "mildly annoyed" at anyone here. Over there, if you say the wrong thing some people can take the highest offense to it and really hate your guts,and you don't really know how far a certain person will go if you posted something he didn't like.

Some people are freaking nut cases there. I even wonder if some of them roam other film music message boards to make lists of people who own bootlegs,then find out their names and send them to record companies.

Mark, bare witness to this, because it's likely to be the only time I say this to you.

"I completely agree with everything you have just said."

That is the very reason why I A) Do no read anything on their boards anymore and B) Am not a poster there, and never will be.

I wouldn't post there if you offered me $1 million to do so, and I can say that. :P

It's the only thing FSM related I steer well clear of.

Mark, bare witness to this, because it's likely to be the only time I say this to you.

"I completely agree with everything you have just said."

That is the very reason why I A) Do no read anything on their boards anymore and B) Am not a poster there, and never will be.

I wouldn't post there if you offered me $1 million to do so, and I can say that. :P

It's the only thing FSM related I steer well clear of.

I tried to post there several times over the years. I always leave because it doesn't take long before someone takes a dump over you or threatens you outright. It's more of a meeting place for really anal c.d. collectors

It's a whole different world from this MB. Here we are always joking around,even when we have Zimmer bashing thread and such things they are always half serious .Most posts have sarcasm in them and everyone feels free to speak their minds. Personally,I've never been more than "mildly annoyed" at anyone here. Over there, if you say the wrong thing some people can take the highest offense to it and really hate your guts,and you don't really know how far a certain person will go if you posted something he didn't like.

I agree with you on this about FSM. Most members there on FSM are way too up tight and think their know it alls or something like that. There are several people on that forum that annoy the hell out of me greatly.

The world is filled with murderers, rapists, pedophiles,drug dealers , terrorists, bank robbers,fraudsters,identity thieves,corrupt executives and politicians .People that do real damage and ruin lives.

As far as piracy is concerned,there are people who run gigantic illegal c.d. operations ,make bootlegged copies of films showing in theater on a massive scale.Yeah,maybe those people should get a fine.

In all this ,I find it facinating some people get revolted to the very fiber of their beeings if a person gets a few OOP scores from an internet blog on a boring Saturday night to listen on his ipod the next day, or has a few bootlegs in his music collection. Some people have lost all sense of perspective ,and I would be scared to associate with such individuals in real life..

Most members there on FSM are way too up tight and think their know it alls or something like that.

But you don't understand, they're only serious film music fans and collectors, while we're probably supposed to be a bunch of ass-raming uncle-f***ers over here. :):P

Ahh lord you gave them eyes but they cannot see....

Why don't you all blame FSM's message board for starting world hunger, WW II, rising gas prices and every other problem while you're at it.

Once again you either don't quite understand or you're not reading clearly what I've written.

And yes they are acting like it's one of the worst places to visit but yet they don't know any better.

Thus far I've had no problems at the FSM board. And while I personally have unofficial versions of music that is unreleased, I am wholly against bootlegging official releases that are still in print, as was the case with the Blue Box, and which seems to be the real thing being targeted in said thread.

Maybe I tend to diverge from the original issue too much.

I bought my Blue Box even if I was 99% sure it would be posted at THAT site, because it's something I need to have in more than file form. HOWEVER,I am not cheering that website was shut down (if that is the case). They were STUPID to post the Blue Box so early as it would clearly attract attention.

The thing about FSM,is if you don't think like everyone does,then get out of there.Don't question Goldsmith's supremacy,and don't talk about bootlegs.Those are 2 topics I am sensitive about and why I'll never belong there

To me bootlegs ,promos and various sources of unreleased music cues are some of the most important aspect of the hobby ever since I started collecting in the mid 90's. This very site was founded around it. It is just as important as looking forward to a new score by your favourite composer,or a long sought after official release .I would be very upset to see threads like the Prequel Resource threatened by idiots who roam the internet on a personnal crusade against bootlegging and e-mail labels left and right when they find questionnable material. Intrada and FSM message boards are moderated by people who produce c.d.'s and have attracted assorted bootlickers to their forums and the very mention of boots is not allowed . I feel it's more repression to serve their own purpose than anything else.

At last a sensible person posts.

Actually I think we're all on the same wavelength here.

Bottom line which I think everyone agrees with, if there's an official release still available officially, then there's no excuse not to buy it.

Bottom line which I think everyone agrees with, if there's an official release still available officially, then there's no excuse not to buy it.

The very words I live by.

No not everyone is on the same wavelength.

There is nothing, I repeat, nothing wrong with FSM's message board. KM should have never even posted in that thread to start with because he jump started the whole thing.

FSM's message board is not devoted to one single composer, it covers a wide variety of film music. Also many people in the industry also post there. People who are responsible for some of the most cherished CDs in our collection post there.

They are no more defensive of Goldsmith than alot of you are here when it comes to defending Williams, so talk about the kettle calling the pot black.

Also quite a few members there are "old school" and older than most of us here. The main message board does primarily stick to the discussion of film music. The off topic board has alot of humor and quite a few subjects that might offend. Like most boards they have a strict policy against relegion and politics.

Also they do not allow the discussion of bootlegs or selling of promos and file trading.

Yes, in case you haven't noticed there is a member called LeHah who has admitted in the past he turns in bootleggers to the labels. There are other message boards that have people who do the same thing.

Last year a member of the Monster Zero message boards informed Toho that someone uploaded Godzilla movies onto you tube. They were quickly removed and the member took pleasure in that.

By discussing illegal file trading and posting threads about on the message you ARE ONLY DRAWING ATTENTION to yourself and others who do it to.

So instead of blabbing about it and bragging why don't you keep it to PM's only, that way you don't draw the attention of someone who may be looking to turn you in.

For those who do have a problem with FSM, I've read some of your posts over there and quite frankly you've brought some of that grief upon yourself with your posts at FSM.

BTW as far as Lehah goes... I think he turned in a few people because he did NOT receive scores that he was promised or whatever. He was part of the group that turned in a person called Jeff78 because he didn't deliver complete scores and what not. Then again Jeff was a complete ass...anyways so what Lehah did was kind of back peddling I guess (couldn't think of another term). It's very possible he still receives complete scores (could be wrong but I wouldn't be surprised if it's true), yes he doesn't boast about them but still...

Yeah! It's incredible. I'm still feeling the surprise-vibe of how good IV is :)

I haven't made it through all 8 discs yet though. I just can't get myself listening to the songs for one. I've only heard a third of the Jones material (no time). I'm sure many appreciate it but it came off as a bit bland between the rest. I guess I should sit down for it though as with everything. So far I've been able to do this for I and IV only.

Oh, and this coming from someone who wouldn't even rank Superman amongst Williams's top fifteen or so.

Superman 1 has great sound

Superman 4 is surprisingly good

Superman 2 and 3 have neat arrangements of the Superman march,but I sill fid them a bit underwhelming in the sence they don't bring anything new to what Williams composed

but you know what,wether it's Thorne or Courage (2 composers with much more experience than William Ross),none of them can conjure up underscore that sounds exactly like John Williams .Hence no matter what anyone says,my conviction that JW personally revised all final sketches of the CoS cues is reinforced

but you know what,wether it's Thorne or Courage (2 composers with much more experience than William Ross),none of them can conjure up underscore that sounds exactly like John Williams .Hence no matter what anyone says,my conviction that JW personally revised all final sketches of the CoS cues is reinforced

:)

Still, you can't beat James Horner...unless you're Carrie Goldsmith and you already have.

:sigh:

Good thinking :D And it makes sense too ;)

But Williams also did some sketching on Superman IV, didnt he?

no ,he scribbled some themes and sent them to Courage. And that's what it sounds like. It doesn't even sound like Williams sketched those "concert versions" of the Superman 4 new themes ,but just wrote a crude melody . Courage can't get that progression of the theme done like Williams ,the themes are just repeated for 2 or 3 minutes with minor orchestration changes

And I'm not saying Ross didn't sketch cues for CoS,Helgi said he did. But something happened between those sketches and the final recorded cues, that's what we don't know. Remember in school when you gave your essay to your teacher,and it would come back corrected with words crossed out and replaced by better ones,and added punctuation...well something like that. There's a small piece of the puzzle we don't know to make my signature fit with what Helgi says (which I do also believe)

And regarding LeHah at FSM. At least some people are coming into the thread and making a little more sense. He does sound like a guy who got screwed on a bootleg trading deal and decided to take his revenge by denouncing everyone and take that kind of irrationnal hardline stance. He clearly says he only cares about himself and his Jerry Goldsmith C.D.'s, so there's no reason why he should care more about the labels than the fans .He's probably scaring half the MB into silence because of this threats, so it's nice to see some people starting to speak up.

But Williams also did some sketching on Superman IV, didnt he?

no ,he scribbled some themes and sent them to Courage. And that's what it sounds like. It doesn't even sound like Williams sketched those "concert versions" of the Superman 4 new themes ,but just wrote a crude melody . Courage can't get that progression of the theme done like Williams ,the themes are just repeated for 2 or 3 minutes with minor orchestration changes

In the Mattessino interwiew by neil it was said at least that Courage asked Williams advice on some things. or not?

Where did i read it?

Maybe,I haven't read all of the booklet and Neil's interview. Take Jeremy's theme ,it would sound different if Williams really wrote a concert version. I see it more like Jack Chapple's take on the John Williams Fan Theme

The book states that Williams provided the concert arrangements. He also viewed the film and gave Courage advice about certain scenes.

Indeed .Nuclear Man's Theme is definately not as elaborately constructed as something like Fawkes or The Chamber of Secrets.