Film Score Monthly announces the Blue Box - Superman.

TownerFan

Man, "Nuclear Man's Theme" doesn't even have an ending! That's a great place for one of the classic Williams concert endings, a la "The Forest Battle" or even "March of the Villains." But instead we get the looped fade-out. It would be great if Williams would go back and make an ending for it, but that's beyond unlikely, sad though it may be.

Exactly .Same with Jeremy's Theme .It means Courage just had a melody to work with .Then you go listen to the end of Reunion of Friends and every phrasing,every counterpoint ,every tone is exactly like Williams would write it,yet apparently Ross did that....sure.

Williams composed straightforward album arrangements of his new themes based on descriptions of the characters. He also received videotapes of certain key scenes and offered ideas to Courage by telephone.

Williams composed straightforward album arrangements of his new themes based on descriptions of the characters. He also received videotapes of certain key scenes and offered ideas to Courage by telephone.

Well,that's what they are,straighforward

Well,that's what they are,straighforward

I really like the album version of Nu-kul-ar Man's Theme. Some of the orchestrations don't sound like Williams though, while others sound like what he would be doing from the late 90's till today.

Hmmmm.........

It's a tacky theme, but in a (maybe) good way. The synths and looping represent Nuclear Man's artificiality.

or whatever

I think the pulsing synth sound represents his radioactiveness

KM is probably right. When I bought my Rhino release the very first time (before disc two some how cracked! :() I got it off Amazon for about the same price. I jumped on it since I knew at the time it was out of print then as well.

man i hope nobody boughts it by error, that costs little less than half the blue box.

That is true,I think I paid even more for it originally

Finally had a listen to Superman IV, and did anyone else think that Lacy's Theme bears a striking resembling to a theme in Family Plot (I've never seen the film, so I can't say who's theme it might be)? Maybe that's why I like it.

Anyways, who would've thought that IV would sound so full after the smaller scale sound of II and III!

The Quest for Peace cues recorded in England sound excellent, but you can tell that the German orchestra just wasn't up to par when it comes to cues like "Main Titles."

Guest macrea
The Quest for Peace cues recorded in England sound excellent, but you can tell that the German orchestra just wasn't up to par when it comes to cues like "Main Titles."

...which were recorded in England according to the set.

I see. I don't have the book with me. I may have been thinking of "End Titles." In any case, some of the cues are definitely performed substandardly, regardless of which orchestra was responsible.

When are the next parts of Neil's interview coming out?

Eventually.

Neil

Spoken like a true writer. A deadline is something to marvel at as it passes by.

Spoken like the late, great Douglas Adams :P

And Sandy Courage's Superman score should have John Ottman feeling humiliated and impotent.

It's a great score! I've never heard a more successful example of a score where the composer has had to work with another composer's themes. Courage's bold rearrangements of the Williams themes work precisely because he took a completely different approach each time. It's like listening to a completely new score (and a great one!), whereas listening to Superman II I find to be a bit of a waste of time. Superman III is so much better as the new music is excellent, although I still find the treatment of the Williams material to be a little unimaginative, as if Thorne didn't have the balls (or "courage") to make the themes his own, as Sandy did.

Superman Returns made me appriciate the score to Superman The Movie a lot more. It is now a masterpiece IMO.

Only now?

I remember the night when I had the epiphany. It was summer 2003, I was listening to the Smallville passages, and suddenly it struck me. I couldn't find any score I liked more. Superman - The Movie remains to this day my favorite Williams score, although it has to share that spot with E.T.

I'm still playing all 4 scores and I haven't even made it to animated Superman material from Ron Jones yet.

Superman is so crisp and clear now it's almost like the Rhino set was a poor bootleg.

I've always loved the first section of the score, and ranked that amongst Williams finest works, but once The Fortess finishes, it always seemed like the score dropped a notch. Still very, very good, but just not as good as what came before.

I see error of my thinking now, and applaud you for beating me too it.

I'm still playing all 4 scores

I can just see the news:

'JWfan from Texas murdered by his family.

The family claims that they heard Jor-El's voice inside their minds that encouraged them to commit the crime. The Spanish Inquisition is investigating.'

:P I hope that is not rude humour.

I've always loved the first section of the score, and ranked that amongst Williams finest works, but once The Fortess finishes, it always seemed like the score dropped a notch. Still very, very good, but just not as good as what came before.

I see error of my thinking now, and applaud you for beating me too it.

I still think the second half doesn't quite live up to the first half. That's pretty much because the first half contains some of Williams' finest movie music. The entire Krypton sequence (including Trip to Earth) is incredible music. The homestead/growing up music (up to Fortress) is also wonderful. From that point on we get a very well crafted comedy/action score, dominated by the love theme. Nothing wrong with it at all, but it lacks the gravitas of the first half. It's still one of Williams' greatest achievements, and deserves to have a place in the top 15 scores of all time IMO.