Film Score Monthly announces the Blue Box - Superman.

TownerFan

I know the Prelude and Main Title in the Blue Box is a new edit, and Rhino's film version is in the Extras CD. The first track is the concert piece. But I don't see the last track of the Rhino set anywhere based on comparing track times.

Also keep in mind the masters that were used for The Blue Box for Superman: The Movie were the same masters that the 2000 DVD version used. So it's in great quality, much great than Rhino's. As stated earlier everything that's on the Rhino disc is on the Blue Box but in better quality. You'll end up kicking yourself in the ass if you miss out on this set and end up wanting it later on when ever it goes out of print.

So was it a licencing deal that means they can't sell them separately? Like, you get them all or none at all?

I believe Lukas originally mentioned at the time of the Box set's original release there was a possibility or he would consider issuing them individually later on down the road, once the original 3000 set sold out.

But I believe they just decided to issue Vol II of the box set instead.

Where then is the track that closes out Disc 1 of the Rhino set, Main Title March (Alternate) on the Blue Box? Its the one with a really dynamic performance of the march.

That march is the "End Title", disc 2, track 9 of the box set.

Neil

• 9 months later...

I'm too lazy to figure out how to work our faulty search engine, so I'll just post this here. I've been watching an eBay listing of The Blue Box for a few days now, and the price has virtually been unchanged. 10 hours remain, and the total right now is only $63 including shipping.

I'd bid myself, but I've gotten a tinsy bit out of control lately with my spending (not to mention tuition and textbooks) so I'll have to sit this one out for a later date, but thought I'd pass the news on for others who may be interested.

Link

• 2 years later...

Time to panic! :folder:

Still too expensive for me, panic or no panic.

In all honesty I would love to have the original Superman score with this FSM treatment (liner notes, sound quality and extra unreleased music) but I have never been too keen on the sequel scores. So the Rhino set has to suffice for me.

I can afford it, but part of me wants it to sell out before I can make up my mind.

I would surely like to have the original score in the best possible quality. And also some bits of Alexander Courage's score might be good. But not sure about the rest... I like the main title to Superman III, I guess...

Karol

I'm considering buying all the remaining copies to later sell them at a higher price on eBay...

You fiend!

Ken Thorne did some interesting stuff with Williams' material, utilizing some of the alternate un-used music from Superman.

If you're on the fence and can afford it, I'd recommend grabbing it.

This set is easily one of the Crown Jewels in my score/soundtrack collection. I love it. Ken Thorne did have a really nice take on Williams' material and Courage's score to Superman IV is fitting of a much better film. Also, the Ron Jones stuff is nice. Of course, this version of the first film scode is the definitive presentation.

This is one I would not miss for sure.

I managed to snag this for $80 in like new condition. I'm glad I managed to grab one, although I rarely listen to the non-JW material. I wouldn't blame anybody for sitting this one out--$120's a lot for a few new JW tracks and a remastered Superman score, but it is nice to have.

It's an expensive set, especially considering that I only love the first half of Williams's score. The other material in the box didn't do much for me, except the Superman IV score, which has some great stuff - the Nuclear Man music reminds me of Crimebuster.

The first score certainly sounds the best it ever did in this release. That and IV make me glad I picked this up.

What is the booklet like? Worth reading?

Karol

Like no other in my collection. ,it feels wrong to call it a booklet. It's really a small hardcover volume in and of itself.

Damn.

Guess I know what I'm buying after work today. I was hoping this release would last long enough for me to be able to REALLY afford it, but I guess I'm just gonna have to bite the bullet. Like many others, I really only care about the first score...but the increase in sound quality is a big deal for me, and who knows, the other scores could surprise me...

Sorry, bank account.

The jump in sound quality is a lot more important to me, honestly.

more like a step than a jump...

58 copies? AH shit! I wanted to re-buy it too....doubt I'll be able to any time soon...perhaps in July if it's still around but I doubt it will be.

Those of you who are grabbing this in the next few days will really be kicking yourselves when LLL or Intrada re-releases the first score by itself for $20-$30. :biglaugh:

In all seriousness, what are the odds that this might happen?

I seriously doubt a three figure price is worth the sound difference that I personally cannot hear. Not saying it's not there but I am not an audiophile and I don't hear the differences in most sound differences people talk about here.

Re-buy it?

Ya... Koray bought it from me. It was right before I actually had that one give away deal with quite a few of my CDs a year or so ago. In fact if I remember correctly a CD or two from that give away ended up going to you.

I know a guy who does film reviews on Sydney radio who loves film scores, especially Williams' Superman. I was chatting to him at Fox Studios where we were at some Life of Pi event where we were talking about the Superman scores as he launched into a rant about how much he hates Ken Thorne's scores because he thought the sound quality and the orchestra ensemble was "terrible". I tried to convince him to buy the "Blue Box" from FSM and asked him to reassess his judgement about Thorne's scores because they sound a lot fuller than previous releases of the films would have demonstrated. But he asserted that nothing would ever change his mind. Peculiar fellow.

No one is perfect.

My appreciation for what Ken Thorne did went up greatly with this set. Of course I've always enjoyed his scores for II & III. I had both LPs when I was a kid.

Of course it's purely subjective, but based on the samples (which have tantalized me for years), I perceive a very significant improvement over the Rhino release. For my wallet's sake, I wish I didn't. ;)

Of course it's purely subjective, but based on the samples (which have tantalized me for years), I perceive a very significant improvement over the Rhino release. For my wallet's sake, I wish I didn't. ;)

There is absolutely no comparisom between the Rhino release, and The Blue Box!!!!

No one is perfect.

My appreciation for what Ken Thorne did went up greatly with this set. Of course I've always enjoyed his scores for II & III. I had both LPs when I was a kid.

with that wonderful Laser etching on Superman II!!!

OK ordered it is then. I'm actually most curious about the Alexander Courage discs. And Superman III, from which I really liked the main titles cue.

Almost 5 years too late.

There are 42 copies left, folks!

Karol

Re-buy it?

Ya... Koray bought it from me. It was right before I actually had that one give away deal with quite a few of my CDs a year or so ago. In fact if I remember correctly a CD or two from that give away ended up going to you.

Nope, I've never owned a Superman CD.