Film Score Monthly announces the Blue Box - Superman.

TownerFan

Even the first has aged poorly.

:(

Hit him more!!

In my defense I was talking about the film and not the score.

Reading into the context of your paragraph, what on Krypton made you think I thought you were talking about the score??

;)

The devaluation of Raiders has officially begun.

The Temple of Doom is the only one worth watching. :(

Any credibility you may have had is now ruined.

I just didn't realize that people loved the first one as much as they do.

Now wait a minute. Are you talking about Indiana Jones or Superman? I thought you were referring to the latter, then everyone started going off about Raiders.

Looking at the price of this, I'm wondering if we all really want to see an Indiana Jones boxset.

Of course we do. No one has a single doubt as to the quality of each and every score, whereas we only know for sure the firs Superman score is outstanding; besides, this score has already gotten the full 2-CD treatment, whereas only Raiders got an expanded release.

I don't think such a set (or set of separate releases) would ever be quite as expensive as the individual "Complete Recordings" editions of the TLOTR scores. Remarkable as these releases may be, they are way too expensive.

Though not absolutely comprehensive, the 4-disc Star Wars Anthology box was very well produced and featured a great booklet, but it was affordable.

Those TLOTR editions are even almost as exepensive as the 4-DVD editions of the movies!

I want an Indiana Jones box set!!!!!!!!

Pleaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaase!

obindy_crystal0001.gif

I'm not questioning our desire to see it happen. I'm just morbidly curious now about what kind of price it would be.

The comparison is irrelevant. We already have the complete score for Superman, the Blue Box just gives it to us in better quality. Other than that it's just (presumably) some new alternates, and three Superman scores written by other composers.

An Indy box would give us three, never before officially released, complete scores to three undeniable 5 star Williams masterpieces. I think all of us would be more than willing to spend what's being asked for the Blue Box.

That's true.

It's really weird that I'm so excited for the Blue Box. One masterpiece that's already mostly available, and three fairly forgettable scores! I remember reading about these scores -- how II and III had short, inadequate albums and IV had nothing at all -- and developing sort of a macabre fascination with them. After all, these were the kind of obscure scores that would never be released, and so I desired them.

BUT NOW...

That's going to be a lot of money for one good score. The rest of the box is simply unlistenable. Poor suckers.

You should probably wait for the samples to show up online before writing this off.

Neil

That's going to be a lot of money for one good score. The rest of the box is simply unlistenable. Poor suckers.

You should probably wait for the samples to show up online before writing this off.

Neil

I've seen the list, supes fan.

GoldsmithFanatic had this to say:

"Nobody on this earth is ever going to convince me, nor the large majority of fans that Superman IV is a better film than Superman II. Not in a million years, because it so clearly isn't.

I find such an analysis to be nothing but absurd."

GoldsmithFanatic, I don't appreciate my thoughts being called absurd, especially when what we're talking about is just an opinion about a movie. I'm not inclined to blindly believe that you so outrank me in matters of taste, judgment, and clarity of thought that you are entitled to simply slap me down outright.

You speculate that I must not have seen very many terrible movies if I consider Superman II to be one...? I work at a movie theatre; I see terrible movies practically every week (thankfully, on the clock). Look, man, practically nothing works in that movie. If you don't understand why, just try watching a double feature of Superman and Superman II. The drop-off in quality is astronomical, and while I understand that some of that is due to it being a troubled production, finding an excuse for it doesn't make it not so. I am well aware that the vast majority of Superman fans disagree with me. They're welcome to it.

I ought to admit that the Richard Donner cut is a substantial improvement, in my eyes; it is basically just a hifalutin' experiment, but it's a damned interesting (and sporadically very satisfying) one.

Now, let me try to clarify a bit as to why I think Superman IV is a better film than Superman II. Objectively speaking, well, no, of course it isn't. However, it's such a b-movie, in all facets (except some of the performances), that after about ten minutes, I begin to accept it on that level, so that on the admittedly rare occasions when something good happens, it's kind of exciting. Whereas Superman II was an a-list production in every facet, and yet time and time again it falls well short of actually feeling like an a-list movie. And every time that happens, I'm pulled away from enjoying it. With a crappy movie like Superman IV, I can accept it on its own level, or at least make an effort to do so; with Superman II, all I can do is wonder why why why it had to be as bad as it is.

Does Jon Cryer suck in IV? Yes he does. Does he suck more than the "earlier in this movie Superman gave up all of his powers, but now he can get them back because, because, well just BECAUSE" element in II? Nope. Way less, as far as I'm concerned. Nuclear Man sucks, too, but is he worse than the redneck sheriff from the James Bond movies showing up with a different accent? Maybe; if so, not by much.

Do the visual effects in IV look like a high school project? Frequently, yes. Is it worse in II when Lois -- who throughout the first movie and the beginning of the second has had ZERO interest, romantic or otherwise, in Clark -- is suddenly completely fine with the idea of Superman divesting himself of his powers and becoming Clark forever? Man, yeah, I think it is. It's completely out of character for Lois, not to mention how it betrays the end of the first movie, when Superman seems to learn that he has no choice but to accept that he is going to have to lead a double life.

I could go on, but it's just not worth it for me to have to sit and think about that movie -- those movies -- any more.

You're welcome to disagree with me all you want, but being insulting (not to mention implying that I'm a simpleton) is just plain rude. And, in my opinion, wrong.

Neil

I've seen the list, supes fan.

You have? Where? I wasn't aware of anything being announced until Thursday.

Neil

I've preordered this through MovieMusic.com all ready. I knew I'd be comitted to buy this set. I've been wanting a remastered score for Superman: The Movie ever since I bought the Rhino set. I can't wait to hear it as well as the complete score for Superman II.

BTW anyone that has seen the cue sheet for Superman II and III might PMing me it?

1. Superman Disc 1

2. Superman Disc 2

3. Superman II Disc 1

4. Superman II Disc 2

5. Superman III Disc 1

6. Superman III Disc 2

7. Superman IV Disc 1

8. Superman IV Disc 2

9. Animated Series Score

10. Bonus Disc

This is not the list? Okay, let's say it's a fake list, is the real content going to be better than this?

1. Superman Disc 1

2. Superman Disc 2

3. Superman II Disc 1

4. Superman II Disc 2

5. Superman III Disc 1

6. Superman III Disc 2

7. Superman IV Disc 1

8. Superman IV Disc 2

9. Animated Series Score

10. Bonus Disc

This is not the list? Okay, let's say it's a fake list, is the real content going to be better than this?

Let's recap for all of you folks:

. Superman: The Movie - Complete Remastered Score (2 Disc)

. Superman II - Complete Score (1 Disc)

. Superman III - Complete Score (1 Disc)

. Superman IV - Complete Score (2 Disc)

. Superman 1988 Cartoon Scores (1 Disc)

. Alternates, Outtakes, Songs and Source Music from all four films (1 Disc)

Definitive tracklists and contents will be announced on Thursday, Feb 21st.

The comparison is irrelevant. We already have the complete score for Superman, the Blue Box just gives it to us in better quality. Other than that it's just (presumably) some new alternates, and three Superman scores written by other composers.

An Indy box would give us three, never before officially released, complete scores to three undeniable 5 star Williams masterpieces. I think all of us would be more than willing to spend what's being asked for the Blue Box.

Exactly.

1. Superman Disc 1

2. Superman Disc 2

3. Superman II Disc 1

4. Superman II Disc 2

5. Superman III Disc 1

6. Superman III Disc 2

7. Superman IV Disc 1

8. Superman IV Disc 2

9. Animated Series Score

10. Bonus Disc

Let's recap for all of you folks:

. Superman: The Movie - Complete Remastered Score (2 Disc)

. Superman II - Complete Score (1 Disc)

. Superman III - Complete Score (1 Disc)

. Superman IV - Complete Score (2 Disc)

. Superman 1988 Cartoon Scores (1 Disc)

. Alternates, Outtakes, Songs and Source Music from all four films (1 Disc)

Definitive tracklists and contents will be announced on Thursday, Feb 21st.

For what its worth, ultra completists should note that songs like "Earth Angel" and "Roll Over, Beethoven" won't be in the

boxset (the FSM Online issue indicates this) a good guess being because it would have involved licensing from outside WB. You will get the original songs as they were on the LP. So far this is Superman III specific, but I know there were songs in all the movies, some of which will be on that last disc, and some that won't. In fact, that last disc of alts, etc. is sounding more and more fascinating to me as it will have a real interesting mix of stuff that would NEVER get any other sort of release and is quite geared to the fans of the movies.

1. Superman Disc 1

2. Superman Disc 2

3. Superman II Disc 1

4. Superman II Disc 2

5. Superman III Disc 1

6. Superman III Disc 2

7. Superman IV Disc 1

8. Superman IV Disc 2

9. Animated Series Score

10. Bonus Disc

As I said, you should wait for all of the details to be released, since it's an 8-disc set and not 10 as you have listed. Maybe listen to a sample or two and then see if it's worth it to you.

Neil

I could care less what anyone else thinks but I'm really looking forward to getting the scores to Superman III and Superman IV.

Of course if ones feels like they need to act like a snob about the whole Blue box go right ahead but I have no problem plopping $120.00 down for this box set.

I could care less what anyone else thinks but I'm really looking forward to getting the scores to Superman III and Superman IV.

Of course if ones feels like they need to act like a snob about the whole Blue box go right ahead but I have no problem plopping $120.00 down for this box set.

Right there with you.

I'm not sure about this set. Not for any snobbish reasons, I'm just not sure whether I'd pay that sort of money for those scores. I already have the great edition of Superman. Even if it's not perfect sound quality, it's more than adequate. I would quite like to own the sequel scores, but there's an awful lot else I could buy for that much. The $120 plus international shipping plus possible import duty could be close to £100 for me.

If it wasn't for ebay hoarders,I'd wait before buying this.

I'm also concerned I'll have to pay duty and extra taxes.At least the Canadian dollar is at par with the American dollar now

As I wrote in an earlier thread, I won't be purchasing the set because I already own the album previously produced by Matessino, and I'm calculating that even with the most enticing of sample clips, it's the not worth the opportunity cost I face as a soundtrack collector on a modest budget. But I hope it's every bit as marvelous a release as it appears to those who will be purchasing it and to the crew who worked tirelessly to produce it.

Not to be overly cynical but I can fully see eBay hounds ripping tracks from these CDs and other sources and selling 2 CD sets of the individual movies. Hell, they are doing it now, albeit with inferior sources and DVD rips.

I'm not sure about this set. Not for any snobbish reasons, I'm just not sure whether I'd pay that sort of money for those scores. I already have the great edition of Superman. Even if it's not perfect sound quality, it's more than adequate. I would quite like to own the sequel scores, but there's an awful lot else I could buy for that much. The $120 plus international shipping plus possible import duty could be close to £100 for me.

I think that's a pretty sensible attitude; it's certainly not snobbish.

Part of me wants to not buy it. However, the rest of me (which is the majority of me) would regret it, and even if the music to the sequels is pretty poor, once I've got it, I'll enjoy it. Just for completion's sake and for the book and for how good it looks on a shelf, perhaps, but still...

Unfortunately, I am also a collector on a budget, and any $120 I spend on one thing is $120 I can't spend on something else. In this particular instance, it's $120 I subtracted from my Dragon*Con fund, so when I go on vacation this summer, I'll definitely be a bit less able to enjoy myself. But if I didn't ultimately feel like it was worth it to me, I wouldn't spend it.

Don't forget Ron Jones. That guy's awesome.

Very true, I keep forgetting about that last disc. Silly me.

Honestly at this point the price tag isn't really putting me off considering what we're getting (the book puts it over the top), I just plain don't have that kind of money to throw down right now.

To all of you that want to purchase the Blue Box but don't want to be out the $120 :

Create an Amazon Marketplace (or ebay) account and sell stuff you don't want anymore (or can stand to part with). I'm sure most of us have lots of CDs, DVDs, video games, etc. that are of considerable value (like rare / out-of-print soundtracks). Even if you don't have valuable items, lots of lesser-value items add up. This is what I'm doing to afford the Superman box-set.

Obviously, $120 can't be made by Thursday, but you can start making back the money now...

I agree with you Mark. That is why I have all ready pre-ordered this through MovieMusic. I want this set because I want the remastered score for Superman: The Movie, and the complete score for Superman II with better sound quality than the horrible boot. I will too be checking out Superman III and IV to see how those are since I don't quite remember them.

I mean sure we're all entitled to our own opinions but if you don't want the box set then don't get it, no need to be snobish about it like you said Mark. I for one want the box set and am going to get it. I didn't hestitate at all about the preorder.

Let me just say my comments have nothing to do with the cost of the Box and whether or not someone can afford it or wants to pay that amount.

I understand that point, believe me.

Aside from the better sounding score for Supes 1, the book is probably my greatest interest.

Not sure if I'll be buying it though.

This would have been a better cover for the Blue Box. It would sell more than it's going to.

lucy-pinder-superman-shirt.jpg

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank heavens I decided to catch up on this thread! And thank you for this lovely picture!

My my my my my...

obs00071.giflivier

That's true.

It's really weird that I'm so excited for the Blue Box. One masterpiece that's already mostly available, and three fairly forgettable scores! I remember reading about these scores -- how II and III had short, inadequate albums and IV had nothing at all -- and developing sort of a macabre fascination with them. After all, these were the kind of obscure scores that would never be released, and so I desired them.

BUT NOW...

Quite an insightful self-analysis which obviously applies to many people on the various boards.

- Edited to add the following -

I cannot agree nor disagree with the "forgettable scores" comment, as I don't remember III, don't know IV, and don't know Jones' score.

What I am agreeing with here is the fact that many fantasize on "impossible releases", and set themselves up for a huge disappointment.