Film Score Monthly announces the Blue Box - Superman.

TownerFan

BTW, I recall hearing an interview where SINGER said the love theme was too old-fashioned.

Yes he did, explaining that they were not going to use it.

I'm sure that at that moment since there were not sure if they should use the theme since Lois is married to another guy.

In the end they must not have found a way to 'erase it' from the main titles therefore they had to use it, or Ottman may had thought that he could not write a new theme.

Then I don't see what the fuss is about. As was said earlier, their love is a shadow of what it once was and is reflected in the music.

I could care less whether he changed the harmony or not.

I just find most of Ottman's music to be bland and not worth the time. Most of his music has a been there heard it feeling. One of the main problems is that he admitted he put the temp track together for SR and stuck too close to it at times.

I used to love Ottman's stuff. But it since Usual suspects and Incognito, I just haven't heard something that comes close to the elegance of those scores. I have liked some things here and there....but he lost me.

I really don't get how people approve of Thorne but hate Ottman really. I think it must have something to do with the role of nostalgia and if you were around for Superman II and III I guess.

That's not it for me at all. Ottman had the right general idea (create an original score and use the old themes where appropriate). I just didn't like the execution. Thorne and Courage did the same thing essentially (though Superman II was mostaly adaptation), but I just think they handled it better.

I've moved on to Disc 7.

Ron Jones's stuff is excellent. It instantly makes you forget you listening to music from a Saturday morning cartoon. Pretty cool they included this.

Don't worry. Mine broke apart and I got a replacement in about a week.

btw, is the 1st track of the Rhino second disc on this set? In better quality?

No... everything on the FSM set is in better quality since they remastered everything from the original tapes.

I'm worried about my book. Though taking great care of it, it seems to be a bit loose. Where does one go to get replacement ones?

(Now: Shhhhhhhh, nobody tell Vosk that I insulted him here because he blocked me after he viciously attacked me in a PM, and completely unwarranted, I might add. Haha, revenge. . . . . . NOW!)

btw, is the 1st track of the Rhino second disc on this set? In better quality?

No... everything on the FSM set is in better quality since they remastered everything from the original tapes.

That's the stupidest thing I've ever read on this board. Did you read the question? Also, did you read what you typed? Did it ever make sense before you typed it?

To answer BurgaFlippinMan correctly: The 1st track on Rhino's second disc is March of the Villains, and it is in the same place on the 2nd disc of the boxed set. It says that it was from the original album masters (a different source than the rest of the material from the new master tapes they found), as was the album version of The Main Theme, which was an album-made edit of several different cues (a very interesting read on how they made it too). What was the source on the Rhino set? Was it the same? I thought i read it was also corrected in some way but I had the flu when I read it and maybe mixed that part up. Anybody remember.

That's the stupidest thing I've ever read on this board. Did you read the question? Also, did you read what you typed? Did it ever make sense before you typed it?

Actually I think my question could have been misunderstood. :)

To answer BurgaFlippinMan correctly: The 1st track on Rhino's second disc is March of the Villains, and it is in the same place on the 2nd disc of the boxed set. It says that it was from the original album masters (a different source than the rest of the material from the new master tapes they found), as was the album version of The Main Theme, which was an album-made edit of several different cues (a very interesting read on how they made it too). What was the source on the Rhino set? Was it the same? I thought i read it was also corrected in some way but I had the flu when I read it and maybe mixed that part up. Anybody remember.

Actually, isnt the first track on Rhino Disc 2 the alternate Superman march? The one with the brassy love theme? Thats the track I was asking about. :)

[

Actually, isnt the first track on Rhino Disc 2 the alternate Superman march? The one with the brassy love theme? Thats the track I was asking about. :)

Yes it is the first track on disc #2 of the Rhino set.

Yes it is on the FSM box set, all the cues from the Rhino set are on discs 1, 2 & 8 of the FSM box set.

And as Vosk said they all sound much better. It's still a 1978 recording but Superman has less hiss and a much crisper sound to it.

I guess FSM will be shipping me a new book free of charge. This whole experience has made me a fan of FSM. They really treat their customers with respect and that seems to be a rarity these days.

I received my new booklet with my North and South order. I gave it a quick look and the middle pages were already suffering from the same problem my previous booklet had. I've put it back in the box, I doubt I'll risk bothering it again, especially as I have my previous repaired booklet available to me.

I guess FSM will be shipping me a new book free of charge. This whole experience has made me a fan of FSM. They really treat their customers with respect and that seems to be a rarity these days.

I had never ordered from them before, but after their handling of the book situation, I'll order from them again.

• 4 weeks later...

I remember reading either here or on FSM about issues about the tone quality of the trumpets in the main statements of the march in the Main Title/End Credits of S4. It's been bothering me a bit too, becuase they almost sounded like synths.

Now, I didn't read the liners about S4 yet, so I don't know if it's brought up in there, but upon listening to it this morning I think it finally hit me! The reason (as far as I can tell) for that sound is probably from the horns. What it seems like to me is that Courage wrote in the horns to double the trumpet there in unison, rather than in octaves. This puts the horn into a very high range and could quite possibly create the tone that we hear. Anyone agree?

I remember reading either here or on FSM about issues about the tone quality of the trumpets in the main statements of the march in the Main Title/End Credits of S4. It's been bothering me a bit too, becuase they almost sounded like synths.

How long ago did I say that now? :sleepy:

What it seems like to me is that Courage wrote in the horns to double the trumpet there in unison, rather than in octaves. This puts the horn into a very high range and could quite possibly create the tone that we hear. Anyone agree?

I'll have to listen one more time to that part, but off the top of my head it seems to me that it would have been extremely hard for the horns to play that high and at the same time so clear etc. I'm not even sure if the horn range extends that high. However, it's possible, I'll check it out again first chance I get.

What it seems like to me is that Courage wrote in the horns to double the trumpet there in unison, rather than in octaves. This puts the horn into a very high range and could quite possibly create the tone that we hear. Anyone agree?

I'll have to listen one more time to that part, but off the top of my head it seems to me that it would have been extremely hard for the horns to play that high and at the same time so clear etc. I'm not even sure if the horn range extends that high. However, it's possible, I'll check it out again first chance I get.

I'm a horn major, actually, so I'm familiar with the sound in the extreme high range. However, you did bring up an excellent point about sounding clear, etc, in that range. While one horn could probably pull it off I'm not sure if the entire section could.

Checking it out on the keyboard, the "Su-per man" motif jumps from 3rd space C up to the G right above the staff. The next highest note following that, regarding this issue, is the A right above that. For a horn this would translate to...

C ----- G

G ----- D

A ----- E

All above the staff of course, multiple ledger lines. While EXTREMELY uncommon, there is music where horns are demanded to play that high. I believe there is a piece by Brahms (or one of his contemporaries) that has 1st horn hitting a D above the staff, so it's not impossible. If they were using shallow cup mouthpieces and had either amazing chops or horns pitched in F Alto (like a triple descant horn, for example) then I think it's entirely possible. But...it's just a theory.

• 1 month later...

For those of you who missed it, there's been an article up on the Main Page since last Monday: the second edition of the Blue Box is now available over at Screenarchives.com!

2nd Edition is also limited to 3000 copies.

[i believe there is a piece by Brahms (or one of his contemporaries) that has 1st horn hitting a D above the staff, so it's not impossible. If they were using shallow cup mouthpieces and had either amazing chops or horns pitched in F Alto (like a triple descant horn, for example) then I think it's entirely possible. But...it's just a theory.

Nope - it was just very, very tight underpants.

[i believe there is a piece by Brahms (or one of his contemporaries) that has 1st horn hitting a D above the staff, so it's not impossible. If they were using shallow cup mouthpieces and had either amazing chops or horns pitched in F Alto (like a triple descant horn, for example) then I think it's entirely possible. But...it's just a theory.

Nope - it was just very, very tight underpants.

Yes, well, that's the other theory.

For those of you who missed it, there's been an article up on the Main Page since last Monday: the second edition of the Blue Box is now available over at Screenarchives.com!

2nd Edition is also limited to 3000 copies.

Lets see if Spain manages to arrive at the semifinals on the eurocup then...

• 1 year later...

OK so this is pretty much copied and pasted from my post in the 'Other Topics' forum to which I have not gotten an answer for yet.

Basically I'm contemplating purchasing the Blue Box and want to know if any of the versions of the Superman March from the Rhino set is missing on it. I understand that:

- Track 1, Disc 1 from the Rhino is in the Extras of Blue Box.

- Prelude and Main Title (Alternate)from the Blue Box is the Rhino's 'Superman March' from Disc 2, the one with the terrific brassy Love Theme segment.

Where then is the track that closes out Disc 1 of the Rhino set, Main Title March (Alternate) on the Blue Box? Its the one with a really dynamic performance of the march.

Thanks.

As far as I can remember, Burga (sorry, but I'm nowhere near my c.d. collection right now), all the tracks that you mentioned are there, plus the "Main Title" film version, but without the slight pitch shift. Even if it is not quite all there, I cannot recommend the Blue Box too highly. EVERY note of J.W.-composed music is there, and that should be enough to convince you, and if you want "Give A Little Bit", then you can always buy "Even In The Quietest Momments".