Film Score Monthly announces the Blue Box - Superman.

TownerFan

I really want Superman in better sound quality. I want the newly found alternates, outtakes, etc. But $120? I just can't bring myslef to care a whit about any of the sequel scores. IV, maybe, since it's Courage and has the new Williams themes. But not II and III.

I just don't know.

This is awesome news!! I'm embarassed to admit but I've been watching a CD with II and III on it on ebay and was willing to pay $75 for it. Talk about stopping in the nick of time!!!!

I really want Superman in better sound quality. I want the newly found alternates, outtakes, etc. But $120? I just can't bring myslef to care a whit about any of the sequel scores. IV, maybe, since it's Courage and has the new Williams themes. But not II and III.

I just don't know.

I'll buy an extra box and sell it to you at x2.....<_<

Seriously there is a chance that FSM might release each one individually after the box sells out. Lukas mentioned they may look at doing a second pressing or something along that line in his original post.

I'd like to have Ken Thorne's SIII score and Courage's as well.

And geez, Toho is releasing box 5 of the Godzilla Perfect Box soundtrack series at the end of January, gonna be an expensive month.

I'll buy an extra box and sell it to you at x2.....;)

<_<

I hope they do that, though, seperate releases down the road would be great. I'm not going to be able to plonk down that much money anytime soon so I'll be waiting anyway. I'll be happy if I have enough this next paycheck to finally get Alien.

Personally, I'm very much interested in hearing all the STM alternates. It's known that there are at least alternates for "The Dome Opens" (which was used extensively in the SII Donner Cut, if I'm correct) and "Baby's Trip to the Earth". But I'm sure FSM and Matessino discovered some other interesting gems while searching through all the session tapes.

I'm excited to hear that the original Superman score will be available once again, and in its complete form, but that's the only one of the lot I'm interested in. I'd love to get my hands on it, but I don't feel like paying $120 for only one score I'm interested in.

For those who are complaining about the $120 price tag. Honestly $120 is a steal for an 8-CD set. Most other companies would charge a hell of a lot more. I for one have been wanting a complete remastered score for Superman The Movie ever since I bought the Warner set and heard the DVD isolated score. Maybe they'll throw in the complete score for Superman Returns as well. Sure it wasn't originally done by Williams but it's part of the Superman franchise.

Matessino weighs in:

Since Lukas indicated my role in this project I'd like to chime in with a couple of things.

While I am not particularly pleased with how the announcement process has unfolded (the unfortunate disclosure of the box color was one thing, but aggravated by production delays that dragged us into 2008), none of this has changed the quality of the final package and how pleased we are with it.

I regret that it's going still be several weeks until the rest of you have it in hand, and within that time I hope that anticipation remains at the appropriate level (in other words I hope it doesn't either die down or go off into the twilight zone). Expectation, however, is a different matter. Simply put, my recommendation is that no one make an assessment of any potential music contained in this set based on anything previously available. To use a cliche, "forget all you know or think you know." Please wait for the official announcement and listen to the audio samples. There will be many surprises, delights, and revelations in this set, and along with them will be a book that takes score documentation to a whole new level. Certainly no collection of this composer's music should be without this set, but in my opinion it belongs in any soundtrack collection. I look forward to finally being able to share it with all of you.

Thanks for your patience and good humor in the mean time. To quote another Richard Donner film: "It's all for you!"

Mike

I wouldn't count on SR.

There are people over at FSM who still think it's going to be something else. Even with LK basically telling us what it is.

I'm just waiting for someone here to chime in that it's Family Plot. <_<

For those who are complaining about the $120 price tag. Honestly $120 is a steal for an 8-CD set. Most other companies would charge a hell of a lot more. I for one have been wanting a complete remastered score for Superman The Movie ever since I bought the Warner set and heard the DVD isolated score. Maybe they'll throw in the complete score for Superman Returns as well. Sure it wasn't originally done by Williams but it's part of the Superman franchise.

its about average price, I guess 15 bucks a disk,

but I look at things this way.

car and house payments $705

electricity $120

natural gas $130

water $60

cable/internet $100

ATT $95

car insurance $86

house insurance $50

CC bills $80

anything else priceless,

Im frugal with my money, and 10 years ago I would have snatched this up, even 5, but today no.

its about average price, I guess 15 bucks a disk,

but I look at things this way.

car and house payments $705

electricity $120

natural gas $130

water $60

cable/internet $100

ATT $95

car insurance $86

house insurance $50

CC bills $80

anything else priceless,

Im frugal with my money, and 10 years ago I would have snatched this up, even 5, but today no.

Good point on there. I guess if you have the money to splurge to get the set then I say get it. Lukas doubts that the first pressing of the 3,000 copies will sell out. I'll probably get the set but it'll be a month or so before I can. I got other priorities right now.

I'lll probably end up buying it.We get maybe a few new Williams alternates,the Superman 4 new Williams themes and better sound for Superman the movie

Yet Again I still wish it was something else...pity the stuff we REALLY want is inaccessible and we get "it's better than nothing" releases.

K.M.

I wouldn't count on SR.

What makes you say that?

Because you shouldn't.

Great, now I'm making math acrobatics trying to fit this into February expenses while adjusting logic to prove that I have no choice but to buy it.

If you want a little help... you really have no choice. You know you need this one!

:blink:

Matessino weighs in:
There will be many surprises, delights, and revelations in this set, and along with them will be a book that takes score documentation to a whole new level. Certainly no collection of this composer's music should be without this set, but in my opinion it belongs in any soundtrack collection.

Mike

That book sounds awfully enticing. I wont be able to resist.

The score can have a strong influence on the weak minded.

I'm not whining about the set being $120 for three discs. I'm complaining because I only want the first score. Blabbity.

For those who are complaining about the $120 price tag. Honestly $120 is a steal for an 8-CD set.

The problem isn't the price for 8 CDs. The problem is the price for 8 CDs of which I only want (about) two.

Matessino makes it sound like Williams wrote all 4 scores on his own... :blink:

Some FSMers hate the fact that JWFAN posted information about it on the main page. I swear they're a bunch of morons sometimes.

Edit: Lukas Kendall practically gave the information away that it is going to be a Superman box set...while he didn't say it in so many words but he hinted at it.

As soon as this Superman Blue Box set is available to order? It's mine! I don't care how much it costs. :lol:

I already own virtually everything FSM has made available for sale on its website. :blink:

$119.95 is £61.34. If I were to judge that cost based on our rates alone not including my own personal wealth... That is more then an acceptable price.

If it were to be... let's say "released commercially" here in England, it would cost up to four times more.

A newly released DVD of a major film purchased physically in a London store costs around £20/$39.

If I recall you own every single Jerry Goldsmith release, every single John Williams release, and now everything FSM has to offer?

Three questions: Who are you? Did you win the lottery? and How many CD's do you own?

Hahaha! :lol:

Just who am I? Hmmm... ;)

I am quite wealthy yes... and it wasn't from winning the lottery, that I can assure you.

If I told you how many Soundtracks/Film Scores/Classical Works I own you would probably fall off your seat. :blink:

Over 2,000?

I wish they would release the unreleased JW stuff before they go back and re-release music in higher sound quality. I know there will be a bit of new JW (alternates and themes from the sequels), but Lukas saying that there would be a JW release this year got me thinking that it would be an entirley unreleased score (e.g. Family Plot).

Perhaps I'm being a whiner, but that is my honest opinion, and I am almost defenetly not going to buy this.

indy4 - who's still debating over whether he should get Monsignor or not

Is it over 1,000?!

Waaaayyyy over! :blink:

Jerry Goldsmith has to be around 1,000 alone I think. Did you say John Williams? I can't remember. But if you were like Miguel that's like 500. There have been a lot of FSM releases. Plus other scores from no particular composer you may buy, and also maybe other composers you own everything of. My guess is between 5,000-7,000 CD's.

Question: Do you know the exact number?

Reason why I believe Superman Returns will not be in the box set: it is still in print and was recorded in L.A. and Mike Mattesino mentioned that the blue print for the box was made before Superman Returns even came out.

Reason why I believe Superman Returns will not be in the box set: it is still in print and was recorded in L.A. and Mike Mattesino mentioned that the blue print for the box was made before Superman Returns even came out.

Ahh okay that makes sense then.'

Edit: This thread needs this picture!

Zod.jpg

Get it.

I second that...it's an '80s Williams score, and is written in the compelling, exuberant style so typical of his works from the period. Get it!

As far as this Superman set is concerned, I really have no interest in it. I have the Rhino set which sounds fine to me (good enough to not spend $120 to improve it, anyhow) and I don't care about the other scores, although the book might be cool I guess. Not to downplay the release for those who are excited about, though.

Get it.

I second that...it's an '80s Williams score, and is written in the compelling, exuberant style so typical of his works from the period. Get it!

Well, visiting this thread and hearing others talk about spending 120 bucks makes me a lot more comfortable with spending 20, and it is a limited edition, and it is a JW score, so....probably. I'm still considering, but I'm almost positive.

If this set is Superman I can't understand how one can be a John Williams fan and have "no interest." Something doesn't add up there. I get that it's not cheap, but I remember shelling out $100 for special edition laserdiscs when there was a sense that something you love was given a deluxe treatment. With $5.99 DVD's cluttering up supermarket check-out lanes those days are gone, and the only place where I get that same sense of something special is with these type of soundtrack releases. This sounds really good, particularly the book in light of the stupid fold-out poster/screen saver stuff that is usually all we get with mainstream releases. And there should certainly be more interest in the Superman sequels scores on this site than in the non-Williams Harry Potter sequels. Plus how can you know you're not interested until you find out exactly what this thing contains and sample some of the content? At the moment it sounds like a collection of Williams' scores and the sequels that all adapted his material along with a book that gives all the details. How that could be something that a John Williams fan has no interest in is really baffling.

If this set is Superman I can't understand how one can be a John Williams fan and have "no interest." Something doesn't add up there. I get that it's not cheap, but I remember shelling out $100 for special edition laserdiscs when there was a sense that something you love was given a deluxe treatment. With $5.99 DVD's cluttering up supermarket check-out lanes those days are gone, and the only place where I get that same sense of something special is with these type of soundtrack releases. This sounds really good, particularly the book in light of the stupid fold-out poster/screen saver stuff that is usually all we get with mainstream releases. And there should certainly be more interest i the Superman sequels scores on this site than in the non-Williams Harry Potter sequels. Plus how can you know you're not interested until you find out exactly what this thing contains and sample some of the content? At the moment it sounds like a collection of Williams' scores and the sequels that all adapted his material along with a book that gives all the details. How that could be something that a John Williams fan has no interest in is really baffling.

Speaking for myself, I have a few reasons for deeming the set something I'm unlikely to pick up, even though I would most certainly consider myself a fan of John Williams:

1. Superman: The Movie is not a score I listen to regularly. Not because I believe it's poorly written or conceived, but simply because much of the music fails to engage me.

2. I already own the expanded Rhino release. I understand the sound quality is wanting, but I'm not really an audophiliac.

3. It's out of my price range. I have a very limited budget for purchasing soundtracks, and I don't expect that to change for quite some time.

4. I have no interest in owning any other Superman-related scores.

I'll be grabbing it for sure. I don't have the Rhino release, and with what was said about "forgetting what you think you know" of the scores, and with the book and everything...I'm sold.

Do you know that for a fact?

GoldsmithFanatic2000+ - I want you to take a picture of this CD collection of yours, and post it here, so I can see this monument with my own eyes. ;)

I would love to... except for that would prove very difficult as I keep many of my scores boxed up in the attic. ;)

I'm also a neat freak when it comes to wanting to play any of them. :P

That's why I currently have five iPod's. I spent a long time putting everything I wanted on them so I wouldn't need to disturb the goods. :)

Do you know that for a fact?

GoldsmithFanatic2000+ - I want you to take a picture of this CD collection of yours, and post it here, so I can see this monument with my own eyes. ;)

I would love to... except for that would prove very difficult as I keep many of my scores boxed up in the attic. ;)

I'm also a neat freak when it comes to wanting to play any of them. :P

That's why I currently have five iPod's. I spent a long time putting everything I wanted on them so I wouldn't need to disturb the goods. :)

To think...I only have about 120 soundtracks.

You should have them proudly on display so guests can marvel at your vast collection. :)

Well if somebody came over and really wanted to see them all, I'd gladly show them.

Maybe I will put them all on display in the future. At the moment my house isn't exactly how I would like it to be. I've been putting it off for a while now, I can't stand the noise and mess, I've already had work done that took ages. I know I won't get any more until that day where something clicks in my brain and I decide then and there I want it done, no question.

Never say Never. ;)

If this set is Superman I can't understand how one can be a John Williams fan and have "no interest." Something doesn't add up there. I get that it's not cheap, but I remember shelling out $100 for special edition laserdiscs when there was a sense that something you love was given a deluxe treatment. With $5.99 DVD's cluttering up supermarket check-out lanes those days are gone, and the only place where I get that same sense of something special is with these type of soundtrack releases. This sounds really good, particularly the book in light of the stupid fold-out poster/screen saver stuff that is usually all we get with mainstream releases. And there should certainly be more interest i the Superman sequels scores on this site than in the non-Williams Harry Potter sequels. Plus how can you know you're not interested until you find out exactly what this thing contains and sample some of the content? At the moment it sounds like a collection of Williams' scores and the sequels that all adapted his material along with a book that gives all the details. How that could be something that a John Williams fan has no interest in is really baffling.

Speaking for myself, I have a few reasons for deeming the set something I'm unlikely to pick up, even though I would most certainly consider myself a fan of John Williams:

1. Superman: The Movie is not a score I listen to regularly. Not because I believe it's poorly written or conceived, but simply because much of the music fails to engage me.

2. I already own the expanded Rhino release. I understand the sound quality is wanting, but I'm not really an audophiliac.

3. It's out of my price range. I have a very limited budget for purchasing soundtracks, and I don't expect that to change for quite some time.

4. I have no interest in owning any other Superman-related scores.

Thank you, Alan, for posting my exact response for me! I hope this makes the concept less baffling.