Enchanted

GoodMusician

So I saw this movie the other day... didn't realize it was done by the team that brought us The Little Mermaid, Aladdin, Pocahontas, and Beauty and the Beast... let alone Wicked...

didn't know Idina Menzel was in it too!

Such a cool movie. Although, the evil step mother, Susan Surandon gets left out of the film a lot... it feels like there was a lot of development with her guy who helped her but it isn't really shown... so I think it could have been a little better if it had more to it at parts...

I went and bought the sountrack today and I'm listening to it now. It's weird. I ABSOLUTELY HATE how it's mixed. It's like listening to ... a wall of speakers. It's not really "room"-ey... and the endings of the cues end odd.. They have worse fade outs than the edits I do!

The orchestral stuff sounds pretty good though... its just when people singing is mixed in it would seem...

I also noticed the film used some alternates as well...

Anyways, I really like this score and when it comes out on DVD Its gonna be a project of mine lol...

Has anyone heard anything about the score or anything about there being extra tracks available anywhere? I know scifi.com had a little video about the movie and in it, there was some unused/alternate music...

Is it sad I caught it already? lol...

Anyways... Just thought I'd post my thoughts...

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can tell he's lost a little bit... but on the whole it was nice. Some I think did detract from the film at times... but I loved the comedy aspect they infused the music with.

I love searching for the "Beauty and the Beast" theme in all his scores. It's so fun to find it... it's like he always puts it somewhere.

And with good reason. It's an incredible song.

My former high school is doing Beauty and the Beast this spring, and I'm so cool that I'm trying to get myself involved by playing synthesizer in the pit orchestra (which would be pretty major - the string section, bassoons, harpsichord, and more). It's certainly an impressive show. Maybe all the additional songs are redundant and dilute the core themes of the film soundtrack, but they're all pretty good, musically. Lyrics (Tim Rice?) are just a bore. Howard Ashman was by far Menken's greatest collaborator. Still, I like the theatrical version... the extended finale with "If I Can't Love Her" is pretty incredible.

And, yes, I am hijacking this thread because it seems I'm too lazy to bump my old Alan Menken thread.

I just checked the CD's liner notes and it says a guy by the name of Leon Zervos mixed the score. I just messaged him asking him about it...

It's my knowledge that most fade outs today add a bit of artificial "room sound" to the fade out so that it sounds more real and less abrupt... hence why the end of some tracks have a bit more "hiss" sometimes...

He didn't do that.

He also buried a lot of the solo instruments/Voices into the mix of the orchestra, and moved things around sometimes when they didn't need to be.

Also, it may simply be the recording studio, but there isn't a lot of room sound... the whole recording just sounds really CLOSE and LOUD.

And some of the edits are kinda obvious lol...

I mostly asking him what he did and how involved he was really. trying to ease into the subject lol...

And I'm not surprised to find out that he mostly has mixed albums like for Avril and such... not really anything orchestral ... I could have told you that lol

Sorry to double post but I'm just noticing...

Run through the Cast on IMDB for the film... the film is almost like HOOK... all the bit parts are... Broadway greats like Judy Kuhn (need I say more about her?! did the singing voice for Pocahontas) and Paige O'Hara (Belle from Beaty and the Beast... ), Jodi Benson (Ariel! I knew I recognized her face!), and even people who must be friends of Alen Menkin and such... such as Helen Stenborg who's married to a broadway actor lol...

So cool!

I picked up the score the other day, being a Disney/Menken fan. The instrumental score itself hasn't really impressed me....it just sounds very nondescript for the most part. I do like the songs "Happy Working Song" and "That's How You Know," though.

• 4 weeks later...

I agree, Amy Adams was the shining highlight of the film, which I thought was quite good as a whole. She perfectly captured that wide-eyed fairytale princess vibe, while maintaining a sense of sincerity and never falling into cheesiness. Plus, she can sing pretty well.

The film was pretty charming. Didn't really care about the plot, but Amy Adams was jsut as good as she was made out to be, and Patrick Dempsey was good, too. The only song I really liked was 'True Love's Kiss', and the score was kind of predictable and meh.

Definately loved the score and movie. It was wonderful hearing an Alan Menken song-score again. I agree he might have lost something after Howard Ahman passed away, but I still think his musical ability is incredible. From what I've seen the movie is still doing well, ( maybe disney will go back to their broadway type roots that they kind of strayed from since the late 90's ) = )

The orchestral sections with Narissa's theme are all great fun, some of the songs are genuinely pleasant, and I wouldn't mind at all seeing one of them taking the Oscar.

And Amy Adams makes a star making performance.

Are the score tracks in order on the album? I'm trying to put the whole thing in order, and some of those tracks I'm not sure about.

No.

I think I figured it out... and it was something like t his...

01) Disney Fanfare (Newly Recorded)

02) Enchanted Fanfare (Track 01 0:00-0:22)

03) Prologue (Unreleased)

04) Andalasia (Track 6 0:00-0:59)

05) It's Missing Something! (Unreleased)

06) True Loves Kiss (Track 01 0:22-2:23)

07) Troll Hunting (Unreleased)

08) The Troll Goes for Giselle (Unreleased)

09) True Loves Kiss *Reprise* (Track 01 2:23-End)

10) Narissa's Scheme (Unreleased)

11) Getting Married (Track 6 0:59-End)

12) Into the Well (Track 7)

13) Not A Very Nice Old Man (Unreleased)

14) A Book? (Unreleased)

15) Catch Her Dad! (Unreleased)

16) Giselle's Story (Unreleased)

17) This Just Won't Do (Unreleased)

18) Happy Working Song (Track 2)

19) The Vermin (Unreleased)

20) Nancy Arrives (Unreleased)

21) Edward Arrives (Unreleased)

21) Giselle and the Fish (Unreleased)

22) Slaying the Iron Beast (Unreleased)

23) Of Course They're Unhappy! (Unreleased)

24) Ladle of Narissa (Unreleased)

25) Pip's Warning (Unreleased)

26) Giselle into the Park/ Free Apple (Unreleased)

27) Edwards Search (Unreleased)

28) That's How You Know (Track 03 *Alt Mix/Take 0:00-2:36)

** Giselle!/Flowers to Nancy (Missing Insert)

That's How You Know (Track 03 2:36-End)

29) The Royal Inn (Unreleased)

30) Soap Opera Source Music

31) Nathanial and Pip (Track 9)

32) That's Amore (Track 15)

33) Poison Apple Martini (Unreleased)

34) Pip in Pizza (Unreleased)

35) Magic Mirror (Unreleased)

36) Prince Edwards Search (Track 10)

37) The Real Red Ridding Hood (Unreleased)

38) Morning/ Edward Arrives (Unreleased)

39) A Date (Unreleased)

40) Robert Says Goodbye (Track 08)

41) Girls Go Shopping (Track 11)

42) One Apple Left (Unreleased)

43) Ball Source Cue #1 (Unreleased)

44) Ball Source Cue #2 (Unreleased)

45) So Close (Track 4)

46) Narissa Arrives (Track 12)

47) Ball Source Cue #3 (Unreleased)

48) Old Hag (Unreleased)

49) Story Book Ending (Track 13)

50) Ever Ever After (Track 05)

51) Enchanted Suite (Track 14)

In most of them you can hear it... the first few moments of the track "Nathanial and Pip" on Enchanted starts off with a variant of "Tale as old as time"

That's because in this scene there's a TV show that uses "Beauty and the Beast" as underscore.

Other than that, it's the first time he's put music from previous films in his scores.

"That's How You Know" could have only been done by Alan Menken. I think the lyrics are fun, but the melody was so catchy I hummed it all day after. That's what makes him one of the best songwriters alive today.

Other than that, it's the first time he's put music from previous films in his scores.

Don't forget the Little Mermaid gag in Aladdin. There's also a part in Hunchback that sounds a lot like Beauty in the Beast, although that one was probably unintentional.

Anywho, thanks for the list, GM. I figured the score tracks were pretty close, but "Robert Says Goodbye" was the one that made me doubtful. I wonder if editing those first tracks is worth trying...

And I just want to say that I'm loving the end of "Into the Well." It's so old fashioned. Good stuff. ;)

You know... I was thinking about it today... had the film been a cartoon, the score would have "seemed" a lot better... when it's put to reality... it doesn't seem... strong enough ...but had it been a cartoon... I think it would have been great...

as for the editing, I tried...and until there's a release of the DVD to fill in those holes with the first few cues, it's not really worth it...