What Are You Eating Tonight?

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'll be honest ... in these days of militant vegetarian/veganism and food intolerance/allergy whiners, this made me almost weep with joy. 

Pork steaks, onions, tomato, herbs and spices, vinegar, garlic, stock. Stewing on a soft fire for about 2 hours.   Will go great with potatoes I wager.

The Good Morning Ireland breakfast.    

When I first moved to North Carolina I wasn't quite sure what this southern hospitality stuff and southern food was all about.

Then I went to my first real local southern comfort food restaurant. Nothing quite like it. I've traveled the U.S. and the world all over. You don't quite find a place like the Southern US of A. Backwards in many respects yes...but also far more complicated and interesting than painted in popular media.

I ordered a pizza today. With mozzarella, gouda, blue cheese and feta. Fat overload, but SO good.

By the way, how do you make your pizza dough? Personally, I never got accustomed to yeast powder, I always use fresh yeast. If I want to make it quick, I use

1/8 l of lukewarm water

10 g yeast

1 teaspoon of sugar

250 g flour

1 teaspoon of salt

3 tablespoons of olive oil

Dissolve the yeast in the water, add the flour, and mix it. Add the salt, then sugar, and finally oil, and knead it until it's a compact mass. Let it sit for 30 minutes and then use it.

If I know beforehand I want a good pizza, I make the recipe of Giorgio Locatelli, which is:

300 ml of lukewarm water

7 g of yeast

550 g italian flour, type 00

15 g of salt

6 g of sugar

60 ml of milk

30 ml of olive oil

Dissolve the yeast in the water, add it to the flour and mix it. Add salt and then sugar, slowly work the milk in and finally the oil. Knead it for a good 10 minutes, and repeatedly fold it.

Then slice it into 3 portions and wrap it in some plastic wrap to shield it from air, and keep it in the fridge for a day.

The next day, let it sit outside for 3 hours to get room temperature.

Then form it to pizza size by pulling it with your fingers. The day in the fridge makes it extra elastic.

It's important not to add the salt to the yeast in the beginning because that would "burn" it and hamper its function. It's also important to work in the oil last because if you do it in the beginning, it will isolate the ingredients and prevent the salt and yeast to really soak into the dough.

today I started buying groceries for Thanksgiving.

I was able to buy a small turkey, 7.5 lbs. I made cornbread for my cornbread dressing. It will be nice and stale by Thursday.

I plan on making turkey and dressing, mashed potatoes, gravy, cheesie corn, yeast rolls, peas, and for dessert I'll have 7even Up salad, Pumpkin Pie, Pecan Pie (it's Pa khan, not peeCan), and Oatmeal Pie.

I'd kind of like a cherry pie but that's too many desserts.

I was able to buy a small turkey, 7.5 lbs. I made cornbread for my cornbread dressing. It will be nice and stale by Thursday.

I plan on making turkey and dressing, mashed potatoes, gravy, cheesie corn, yeast rolls, peas, and for dessert I'll have 7even Up salad, Pumpkin Pie, Pecan Pie (it's Pa khan, not peeCan), and Oatmeal Pie.

What are your thanksgiving plans?

homer-drool1.jpg

that sounds amazing.

What are your thanksgiving plans?

My mom is already here. Wednesday night we'll go to the movies, Thursday I'll get up and prepare our Thanksgiving dinner for around 2pm. It's just my Mom, Dave and I, and a few of his relatives.

Then about 7 I'll head to Walmart for BF, to snag some blu rays. I'll hit a few other stores either at Midnight or the next morning. Friday I'll watch CBS football as the Hogs end their disasterous season against the Lsu Tigers. Then after that I'll watch the Hogs baskeball team take on Arizona State in the Las Vegas Invitational.

How about you.

Mom suggested I make a Pineapple pie since I'm fixing desserts.

you guys should start posting pics btw! it's the best way to be inspired to cook new things:)

tonight:

2zdsxs2.jpg

chicken fillet with shredded mozzarella, a salad and a dip (yoghurt, minced garlic, salt n pepper, cumin, curry, sun-dried tomato oil, paprika powder and some organic honey)

You seem to have a knack for making it sweet on the eyes, too, I love that. I hate it when people throw food on their plates like they're just one step above going to the feeding trough like a hog.

Speaking of which:

IMAG0846_edit0.jpg

I'm too busy eating to take pictures.

tonight we had great northern beans, hamburgers cooked in my cast iron skillet, and fried potatoes and corn bread.

I don't cook fried potatoes often but damn these were good. And for those who don't know fried potatoes are not the same as french fries which are also fried potatoes. Fried potatoes are rough and coarsely chopped or sliced potatoes, they're unevenly sliced so that they have different textures in each bite.

It's one of my mom's favorite meals so while she's here I told her to tell me to cook her favorites.

I've made a double batch of white cornbread for my corn bread dressing, it's sitting out getting stale.

Right now I've got my oatmeal pie and pecan pies in the oven. They are very similar pies, a sugar syrup custard base.

They'll be done in about 30 minutes.

I will post some pics

1 unbaked pie shell (homemade or store bought)

4 eggs beaten till frothy

1 cup sugar,

2 tablespoons flour

1 tablespoon cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 cup melted butter

1 teaspoon real vanilla

1 cup corn syrup

1 cup oatmeal

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

beat eggs till frothy,

In a bowl mix flour, salt, sugar, and cinnamon. Add eggs, mix till combined. Add melted butter, vanilla, and corn syrup. Finally add oatmeal.

Pour into unbaked pie shell.

bake pie for 50 minutes. Let cool.

It's great with whipped cream or cool whip.