Myth or fact: there is a Howard Shore's King kong bootleg out there...

Sandor

Well, the topic title says it all.

Is there really a King Kong bootleg out there of Howard Shore's rejected score? Some insist it exists, others regard it as a modern "urban legend".

I want to know the truth. Anyone here knows more than I do?

Thanks.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as I know it's false.

What's being passed around as Shore's Kong is John Frizzell's score to Primeval.

I've also heard that Shore is interested in releasing his music to Kong. Apparently in an interview at one of the LOTR concerts he was asked about Kong and mentioned that he would like to release it.

Apparently in an interview at one of the LOTR concerts he was asked about Kong and mentioned that he would like to release it.

It would be great, but again: is the above myth of fact?

Everything surrounding Shore's rejected score is shrouded in mystery it seems.

That makes it like the Lost Ark to me... :lol:

I can't confirm or deny. It was posted over at Moviemusic.com in one of their LOTR threads by someone who attended a concert.

This isn't directed at you personally Roald but there is no mystery, Jackson and Shore gave their reason why the score was rejected yet film music fans cannot except things as they are and continue to look for ridiculous conspiracy theories.

If there was a rejected score of Kong out there and it got into the public's hands I'm sure there would be more discussion about it because many people would want to get their hands on it.

yet film music fans cannot except things as they are and continue to look for ridiculous conspiracy theories.

Oh, I love conspiracy theories. :lol:

And I was never really satisfied with Jackson's reasons for rejecting the score. There are rumors about Shore wanting to go all theatrical, almost Golden Age-like for King Kong, and Jackson (or the studio?) wanted a more formal, modern score.

But no one really knows. It is a bit odd however that after one of the greatest collaborative efforts in history, and creating over 12 hours of perfect music, these two could not work out their differences...

There must had been some kind of a row nevertheless. They dont want to make it look like that and (maybe to not rule out the possibility of a Shore's Hobbit).

But the two, being praised by his collaboration on LOTR, and it seemed the same in Kong (Shore even had a great cameo), you dont sack the composers two or three months before the release of the film for nothing.

I mean, Jackson did have to listen some demos from Shore to notice he wasnt going to like the music at all do do it THAT late in production.

Others directors have made this, but its doesnt usually happen with friend-collaborators...

I'd say it hasn't been leaked yet because a release is on the cards, following the success of the LOTR cd's. Doug Adams continually mentions how heartfelt and beautiful the music to Kong is -- so yes, he's heard the score (What was recorded, apparently not enough for a lengthy album)

I'd say it hasn't been leaked yet because a release is on the cards, following the success of the LOTR cd's. Doug Adams continually mentions how heartfelt and beautiful the music to Kong is -- so yes, he's heard the score (What was recorded, apparently not enough for a lengthy album)

Doug adams is a shore fanboy :lol:

If the score is as Adams says, its just says that it was not a friendly rejection...

Well lets hope Shore decides to record the whole thing... I would not like to heard just a part of it.

Hmm some time ago I downloaded that album from soulseek...

It sounds pretty obscure and some tracks really sound like Shore... don't know..

I think it's real but for me theres no way to proof it.

post-168-1196188075_thumb.jpg

If the track "Capturing the Beast" is layered with godawful synth noise over bursts of brass then it's not Kong.

The time on that track make me suspect its not kong.

yet film music fans cannot except things as they are and continue to look for ridiculous conspiracy theories.

Oh, I love conspiracy theories. :)

And I was never really satisfied with Jackson's reasons for rejecting the score. There are rumors about Shore wanting to go all theatrical, almost Golden Age-like for King Kong, and Jackson (or the studio?) wanted a more formal, modern score.

But no one really knows. It is a bit odd however that after one of the greatest collaborative efforts in history, and creating over 12 hours of perfect music, these two could not work out their differences...

Whatever the reason it does not seem to have caused a huge rift between Shore and Jackson.

In a recent interview in FSM online Shore really hopes that New Line and Jackson will sort out The Hobbit so he can score it.

Oh, I love conspiracy theories. :)

Whatever the reason it does not seem to have caused a huge rift between Shore and Jackson.

In a recent interview in FSM online Shore really hopes that New Line and Jackson will sort out The Hobbit so he can score it.

But it possibly meant that Jackson will not work with shore aside from Middle Earth.

If the track "Capturing the Beast" is layered with godawful synth noise over bursts of brass then it's not Kong.

The time on that track make me suspect its not kong.

Hmm unfortunately.. so this one has to be fake alright

but it doesn't sound bad.. I think

Yeah I got that same score as you Dr. Jones. I was crazy confused when I heard Capturing The Beast. I thought Howard Shore was high or something and his aweful product is the reason why Peter Jackson rejected him.

But the one you have is indeed the Primeval score by John Frizzell.

film music fans cannot except things as they are and continue to look for ridiculous conspiracy theories.

Howard Shore's last name has the same amount of letters as the first word of Tolkein's last book and Jackson's last installment in the Lord of the Rings Trilogy. Jackson assumed that because of this, he was destined to stop working with Shore after Return of the King. He fired him so late in the process because he didn't want to stop, he just thought that he had to.

But the word "Hobbit" has the same amount of letters as the word "Howard," so we may yet see Shore back for The Hobbit, assuming Jackson directs it.

Others directors have made this, but its doesnt usually happen with friend-collaborators...

It happend with Hitchcock and Herrmann...but then again, Hitchcock was a perfectionist, Herrmann was bad tempered, and the studio was pressuring Hitchcock on top of it all.

Sorry for asking a stupid question no doubt, but who is Doug Adams?

I asked that same question a few weeks ago. I don't think it's stupid! ;)

Your answer awaits...here!: http://jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13875&hl=

Sorry for asking a stupid question no doubt, but who is Doug Adams?

I asked that same question a few weeks ago. I don't think it's stupid! ;)

Your answer awaits...here!: http://jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13875&hl=

Really, being the uber LOTR score fan he is, that is some heresy.

• 4 months later...
Hmm some time ago I downloaded that album from soulseek...

It sounds pretty obscure and some tracks really sound like Shore... don't know..

I think it's real but for me theres no way to proof it.

That's the same fake artwork that was packaged with the Frizzell Primeval stuff....there is a thread about it somewhere...

I came across that fake promo at least a year ago, and it was pretty clear from the one track I managed to get from soulseek that it wasn't Shore's music. I'm actually quietly confident that maybe one day soon we'll see at least some of his rejected score, given how well the CR sets have sold.

I am a little mystified at how such a drastic action could take place so close to the end, and with Jackson surely given plenty of opportunities to voice his opinions during the demo stage. A pure guess would be that he heard demos, liked them, but when it came to actual scoring and it all came together, maybe he realised the music was the wrong style for the movie - and the style is very different from LotR - but it's just a guess, who knows what happened.

Is this the Frizzell one is disguise?

1. Introduction – Title (1:26)

2. New York City (1:29)

3. Skull Island (1:18)

4. Ending Zone Town (2:54)

5. Sacrifice Sequence (2:11)

6. Jack and the King (1:26)

7. Capturing the Beast (1:03)

8. King Kong Unleashed (2:55)

9. Building Ascent (1:41)