Lucasfilm giving "serious consideration" to new Indiana Jones trilogy CDs

crumbs

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Expanded scores or it's a total waste of my time

You're wrong, friend. All three of them are well out of print and cost a ton of money on the secondary market.

The only one I've seen at reasonable prices in the past TWO YEARS is Last Crusade.

When Paramount released DVD-versions of the movies they also remastered soundtracks (THX Certified). I presume they also mastered the score-only tracks from the old master tapes. It would not be so hard to use this remastered material for the new CD releases.

DCC released in 1995 an expanded version of the Raiders of the Lost Ark and it sold out quite fast. If this was commercially profitable it should be profitable to re-release them all.

Raiders was easier to release because it was recorded with the London Symphony Orchestra (no reuse fees).

You have an interesting point about the soundtrack remastering. I did a DVD rip of Temple of Doom a while ago, and frankly, it sounded very tinny and distant, not up to the standard of the OST (and yes, I'm talking about the full 5.1 mix, not the rear channels). This is based on listening to the end credits. However, who knows? This may be an attribute of the DVD formatting and whatnot, not the masters themselves.

If I recall correctly, my attempts to rip end credits from DVDs, even with all channels, have generally come up with slightly subpar sound quality. It's quite possible it does have to do with the DVD formatting.

Hmm, I've always thought my DVD rip of ToD (all unreleased, not just the end credits) sounded fine, considering. As good as a rear channel rip is going to sound, at least.

The more successful a movie, the more successful its soundtrack and merchandise in general. Indiana Jones is a pretty successful movie franchise. Hmmm, 2 plus 2....

Not really. As this thread has noted, the first Potter album sold 200.000 copies (and this for a rare case when a movie becomes an enormous craze) while the soundtracks of the still very successful sequels sold considerably less.

Shouldn't we flood the SpielbergFilms forum with posts for Steven to send to Lucasfilm? The guy has tight connections; he even gets things amended on the official website and gets let known stuff that is coming soon, like new videos, weeks/days in advance.

If a lot of posters on his forum are demanding these expanded CD's, it could be the catalyst Lucasfilm needs to give them the official greenlight! We shouldn't waste this chance; once Indy IV is gone, it might be too late.

If I recall correctly, my attempts to rip end credits from DVDs, even with all channels, have generally come up with slightly subpar sound quality. It's quite possible it does have to do with the DVD formatting.

Yes, I think there's something in formatting that lowers the overall, quality with some movies. To cite an example; before I found the real complete score to The Village, I tried ripping the main titles from the DVD, and there was a noticeable lack in sharpness and dynamics - almost more noise, that wasn't present in a DVD rip I had.

And the alternate BotF from the fellowship EE credits is horrendous quality - sounds like it's compressed at about 128k some of the time. I really hope it's on the rarities disc.

As this thread has noted, the first Potter album sold 200.000 copies (and this for a rare case when a movie becomes an enormous craze) while the soundtracks of the still very successful sequels sold considerably less.

Like I said earlier in this same thread, John Williams got a Gold Record Award from the Philosopher's Stone and it sold at least over 500 000 copies!

Km is correct, if it's just a re-release of the original CDs then its a waste of time as far as I'm concerned.

Now is the time to do it correctly and issue them in expanded/complete form. If not then that means Lucasfilm can continue to drag the process out.

Km is correct, if it's just a re-release of the original CDs then its a waste of time as far as I'm concerned.

Now is the time to do it correctly and issue them in expanded/complete form. If not then that means Lucasfilm can continue to drag the process out.

Have you no empahy for all those who missed out on the orgiinal releases, those whose only exposure to the music of Indiana Jones is through the actual films and the universally panned Silva Screen compilation?

Have you no empahy for all those who missed out on the orgiinal releases, those whose only exposure to the music of Indiana Jones is through the actual films and the universally panned Silva Screen compilation?

Not really ,the music is out there and easily accesible.Just trade ot download it,like everyone else.

unless you one of those super legal types

k.M.

If you want to know the truth, so what if you missed it? It had it's original release and now it's gone, just like most products in the real world. Things come and go but then something much better and improved comes along to take it's place.

No one is saying they can't be released, it's just a waste to continue to re-release the same old thing and not expand upon them. Here's the chance for you to not only get the three scores but get them in a complete/expanded and remastered form.

If you want the original CDs so bad go to the trading board and ask someone to send you the files to them.

No one is saying they can't be released, it's just a waste to continue to re-release the same old thing and not expand upon them. Here's the chance for you to not only get the three scores but get them in a complete/expanded and remastered form.

I'm not against such releases, but I'd still buy it if it was rehash...as most people who missed out on the other releases would.

Unless you're content with Mp3s, which is fine, but sometimes if I really like a score, I like to have a physical copy. It's really a collector mentality and its kind of dumb...but it is what it is.

It's that collector mentality that has Lucasfilm releasing stuff like that SW 30th anniversary box set with stickers and AotC OST with 4 different covers.Your proving them right that have no real incentive to give us more music

It's that collector mentality that has Lucasfilm releasing stuff like that SW 30th anniversary box set with stickers and AotC OST with 4 different covers.Your proving them right that have no real incentive to give us more music

I disagree because the 30th anniversary box is nothing more than rehash of the 97 sets which are still available for decent prices, however, the Indy titles are much more expensive and not available to anyone who wantst hem.

Pieter Boelen is offering the complete ToD (DVD rip + album trakcs) right now
It's not complete though. Extended with minor sound effects and better than the OST as far as I'm concerned. But definitly not complete. I would buy a proper extended/complete version in a heartbeat. And I would probably even buy a re-issue of the Raiders of the Lost Ark and Temple of Doom OSTs. I only have Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

I'm not sure about that. Speaking for myself, I've got MP3s of ToD, but I really want the CD on my shelf. I like the original on my shelf.

I think plenty of people bought the re-issue of Witches of Eastwick earlier this year.

I don't even want to contemplate Lucasfilm doing a straight re-issue.

Positive vibes only!

I'm sure they'll re-release the scores as they are now...with "re-mastered" sound and screensavers

K.M.

...and stickers.

They can leave liner notes out as long as the box set comes with a full size replica of Indy's fedora or the Ark or something. :mrgreen:

fsb

T....t....Tower Records! :mrgreen: *burst into tears*

You didn't know that? This happened months and months ago.

Pretty much. Witches is the first stirrings of what would become the "Hook/Home Alone/Potter" sound. I still haven't really gotten into it though.

The very beginning of the track sounds kinda like Elfman to me.

I have Dance of the Witches, is the rest of the score in the same vein?

Dances of witches is a more wild cue .There's some nice magical passages(Opening Credits,The Tennis Game),but also darker cues.and the Ballroom Cue which is a must have

Just ordered WoE.

You didn't know that? This happened months and months ago.

Oh know, I knew that, there was one right by my house. I just got sad when I saw the name...I had flashbacks...of all the glorious memories... :lol:

Actually, near my house, they replaced it with and even better CD store with MUCH cheaper prices, more selection, and more used items.

Those matters....don't concern you.

But actually, the only items that are semi-expensive are the Simpsons Special Edition and NBNW, which were both twenty dollars. As I mentioned above, I know a CD store with great used selection, sometimes the CDs are as low as 2 dollars. The majority of the CDs you see on that list that are "Recieved" are used and cheap, allowing me to spend more money on online or new items. And almost EVERY time I buy an online item, it's under the Used/New section of Amazon.

Keep in mind that I only got into soundtracks in 1999. It was about one year ago that I started buying them so often. My collection is vastly unsuperior to most of yours, due to the fact that I started collecting so late. You have probably spent more money on soundtracks than I have, just more spread out.

I miss the joy of buying score after score after score...spending money like there was no tomorrow. It was a great feeling, especially when I had a steady income, which I no longer have. These days, I have nothing left to buy aside from the occasional new score that comes out, plus no money. :(

indy4, when I first read your recently ordered list, I thought you had Horton Hears A Who the movie coming out. I got a little overly estatic for a John Powell release already. I mean, I knew it couldn't be, but I had a nano second of hope.