Indiana Jones IV to be recorded in Los Angeles

Hellgi

I saw Conrad Pope last night at a screening and he told me John Williams will record Indiana Jones IV in Los Angeles, at the Sony scoring stage (as JW apparently usually does).

I believe I heard him say that the recording would be some time in February but I'm not 100% sure.

Just thought you guys would like to know :lol:

Hellgi

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw Conrad Pope last night at a screening and he told me John Williams will record Indiana Jones IV in Los Angeles, at the Sony scoring stage (as JW apparently usually does).

I believe I heard him say that the recording would be some time in February but I'm not 100% sure.

Just thought you guys would like to know :lol:

Hellgi

So, what did Conrad think about the score composed so far..? :D

Always with them negative waves man.

Whoa, whoa, let's not throw the "N" word around. I'm not sure I can take an accusation that harsh.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

Always with them negative waves man.

Whoa, whoa, let's not throw the "N" word around. I'm not sure I can take an accusation that harsh.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

That's because he's an A-hole! :lol:

Los Anglees?

Well,for one thing we can kiss a complete score release goodbye for at least 25 years.At least I'll have something to look forward to in the old people's home

K.M.

Hmmmmm . . . am I disappointed the LSO is not involved? A little, maybe.

But that doesn't mean it won't be a spectacular score, nonetheless. ToD was recorded in Los Angeles, wans't it?

Ah man, no LSO.

And why does this mean there'll be no complete scores for 25 years??

From what I understand, recording in LA is expensive and so are releases, reuse fees and all that.

Why doesn't JW give himself a healthy workout and hop on a plane :lol:

ToD was recorded in Los Angeles, wans't it?

ToD was recorded in London by the LSO. TLC was the only IJ score recorded in LA by LA musos. I think the LSO couldn't do the TLC gig due to scheduling conflicts.

Who knows the reason this time? Maybe there was another scheduling conflict? Maybe it was cheaper to use the LA musos and save on some airfares/accom. by keeping Williams in the US? Maybe the producers wanted a nice even split between which musos recorded which scores: LSO get to do 2 IJ films; LA musos get to do 2 IJ films? :D

Maybe it's just standard to record Hollywood scores in the US? The SW prequels were recorded by the LSO because all SW scores were recorded by them, and I guess the Potter scores were recorded there because the whole thing was British.

ToD was recorded in Los Angeles, wans't it?

ToD was recorded in London by the LSO. TLC was the only IJ score recorded in LA by LA musos. I think the LSO couldn't do the TLC gig due to scheduling conflicts.

Who knows the reason this time? Maybe there was another scheduling conflict? Maybe it was cheaper to use the LA musos and save on some airfares/accom. by keeping Williams in the US? Maybe the producers wanted a nice even split between which musos recorded which scores: LSO get to do 2 IJ films; LA musos get to do 2 IJ films? :D

And the source you're using is?

Only Raiders was recorded in London. Temple of Doom was recorded in LA, except for Sanskrit Sacrifice (the film version of Temple of Doom), that was recorded in Boston, with members of the BSO and the Tanglewood Festival Chorus.

Finally about time there some news about what happening with next Indy score! Sound like they might use the hollywood studio orchestra again.

Just thought you guys would like to know :D

Hellgi

So will he orchestrate the score? God! I can't wait to hear another watery orchestrated score. Great....

Only Raiders was recorded in London. Temple of Doom was recorded in LA, except for Sanskrit Sacrifice (the film version of Temple of Doom), that was recorded in Boston, with members of the BSO and the Tanglewood Festival Chorus.

And the source I'm using is... my own incorrect memory! :D So sorry. :o

Mea culpa! I actually went back to my ToD LP to double check and sure enough: "Recorded at MGM Music Scoring Stage, Culver City CA". Have no idea why I thought the LSO did it. Gee, one gets past 40 and suddenly dementia sets in! I go to sulk over my mistake. Please dont punish me too hard. :)

Just thought you guys would like to know :)

Hellgi

So will he orchestrate the score? God! I can't wait to hear another watery orchestrated score. Great....

JW orchestrates the score really.

And the source I'm using is... my own incorrect memory! :) So sorry. :o

Mea culpa! I actually went back to my ToD LP to double check and sure enough: "Recorded at MGM Music Scoring Stage, Culver City CA". Have no idea why I thought the LSO did it. Gee, one gets past 40 and suddenly dementia sets in! I go to sulk over my mistake. Please dont punish me too hard. :P

Nevermind that... I'm in my 30's and only God knows how many times that kind of thing happens to me :D

Conrad Pope as an orchestrator should not be any surprise. He has been working with Williams since Jurassic Park (many times uncredited). He probably is not the only orchestrator working on this project. You should remember that Williams really orchestrates almost everything by himself.

I am very curious what scores do you seem orchestrated so "watery".

Yes, Conrad is already working on Indy IV. Don't know if he's the only one.

As some of you pointed out, "orchestrating" for JW is merely taking notes from the sketches and moving them to the right staves on a full score. Although, knowing JW, he wouldn't trust just anyone to do this; so since they've been working together for about 15 years, we can safely assume Conrad Pope is one the best orchestrator in the business (which he actually is, by the way - he worked with us on the 79th oscars and he was just amazing).

H.

I'm just waiting for the tracklist and release date.

Indeed.

Although, a recording session video would be very nice.

Who knows...the official Indiana Jones website might put up a recording session video which I think it probably be likely that would be site they put it on....

Even though it is being recorded in L.A., maybe we can hope for some unreleased music leaked in video games, a la Galaxies and Battlefront 2. As far as performance goes, I have no issues. TOD and LC sounded great. I only hope they strive to avoid the more modern recording sound as much as possible.

Have no idea why I thought the LSO did it. Gee, one gets past 40 and suddenly dementia sets in! I go to sulk over my mistake. Please dont punish me too hard. :)

It must be the fact that Williams brought Mr. Murphy to LA to play first trumpet for TOD. His brilliant

sound makes every orchestra sound like LSO. :P

And the source I'm using is... my own incorrect memory! :) So sorry. :o

Mea culpa! I actually went back to my ToD LP to double check and sure enough: "Recorded at MGM Music Scoring Stage, Culver City CA". Have no idea why I thought the LSO did it. Gee, one gets past 40 and suddenly dementia sets in! I go to sulk over my mistake. Please dont punish me too hard. :P

Nevermind that... I'm in my 30's and only God knows how many times that kind of thing happens to me :D

Thanks for chiming in with that info Miguel. I was starting to think that I was, once again, incorrect about something! I always thought there was something about ToD that sounded different.

Have no idea why I thought the LSO did it. Gee, one gets past 40 and suddenly dementia sets in! I go to sulk over my mistake. Please dont punish me too hard. :)

It must be the fact that Williams brought Mr. Murphy to LA to play first trumpet for TOD. His brilliant

sound makes every orchestra sound like LSO. :P

... You know, now that you mention it, I think I can actually hear the difference between trumpets in Temple of Doom and Last Crusade.

I'm just waiting for the tracklist and release date.

Release date yes, but I'm going to try as hard as I can to avoid seeing the track list or anything else that might give spoilers away. I've been waiting for this film far too long to spoil it for myself 3 weeks before it comes out at the cinemas.

And the source I'm using is... my own incorrect memory! :) So sorry. :D

My memory started to fail when I was 20. So Australia decided to get a new robot, they called it Kevin Rudd.

There's always time for a stroke before he records.

As long as the full score is written out ...

and then conducted by William Ross....wouldn't that be a stroke of good luck for Bill?

Honestly, I've been a bit disappointed with Williams' recent recordings with the London Symphony, namely the last two Star Wars films. They both sounded kind of flat to me. I'm not blaming the orchestra, or Williams; it's probably the result of a number of factors. I've got no problem with using the LA Studio Symphony.

Ted