Indiana Jones IV to be recorded in Los Angeles

Hellgi

Have no idea why I thought the LSO did it. Gee, one gets past 40 and suddenly dementia sets in! I go to sulk over my mistake. Please dont punish me too hard. :thumbup:

It must be the fact that Williams brought Mr. Murphy to LA to play first trumpet for TOD. His brilliant

sound makes every orchestra sound like LSO. :blink:

I have to agree. The simultaneous warmth yet bright clarity of the trumpet section in TOD is partially the reason I find the score a spinetinglingly gooey joy to listen to.

Anyway, the sound quality of the LSO on recent Williams scores is not that good. In fact, I'd have to say that I prefer the recordings of most of the other scores of the past decade. They don't seem to have the same "life" that was brought to his Golden Era scores any more.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, we've mentioned a few times that the LSO just doesn't seem to have that distincitve sound anymore, for whatever reason.

That would probably be because most of the players from back then have either retired or changed jobs.

Besides for scoring sessions players from different orchestras and/or free-lance players are hired to back up the LSO a bit anyway.

Even for different sessions for the same movie..It's all (well mostly) in the mix..

Yeah, we've mentioned a few times that the LSO just doesn't seem to have that distinctitve sound anymore, for whatever reason.

Well, didn't Eric Tomlinson record a lot of the LSO performance in the 70's and 80's. Tomlinson has the distinct sound. But once you get someone like Shawn Murphy in the booth then the sound goes to pot... with the exception of The Phantom Menace which sounded surprisingly good.

-Erik-

Yeah, we've mentioned a few times that the LSO just doesn't seem to have that distinctitve sound anymore, for whatever reason.

Well, didn't Eric Tomlinson record a lot of the LSO performance in the 70's and 80's. Tomlinson has the distinct sound. But once you get someone like Shawn Murphy in the booth then the sound goes to pot... with the exception of The Phantom Menace which sounded surprisingly good.

-Erik-

True. The TPM UE sounds so great probably because Murphy probably didn't mess with it, it's pretty much the film mix. But he did have a hot streak with PoA and RotS, which are excellent and very good respectively. And all the cues on that DVD that came with RotS sound better than they ever have, Murphy has a credit on that but I don't know how much he was really involved.

True. The TPM UE sounds so great probably because Murphy probably didn't mess with it, it's pretty much the film mix. But he did have a hot streak with PoA and RotS, which are excellent and very good respectively. And all the cues on that DVD that came with RotS sound better than they ever have, Murphy has a credit on that but I don't know how much he was really involved.

I don't think POA used the LSO, although there were probably members who performed.

I don't think POA used the LSO, although there were probably members who performed.

I have high hopes for this score. I love the first three (especially Raiders). I haven't been too fond of Williams' recent past efforts so it looks like it's going to be Indy to the rescue! <_<

Yeah, they didn't, I was talking about the sound quality in general there rather than the performers. :sigh:

This is nothing new, I believe most scores are recorded a few months before the film is released.

There are cases where it's done up to the last minute.

What the bad news? The editing?

Just because the schedule for John Williams in the production is in February doesn't mean there something bad about the editing... I mean they like already finished the shooting ages ago. They editing the film right now... They probably and I hoping that it will be finished editing the film by the time it time for John Williams to step in and to record the score..

There will be some jarring edits here and there, but the score will remain intact, for the most part. That's how it almost always works.

I hope right you are ;)

However, shooting finished on October. When did Williams start scoring the movie? October? November? Not so much time. Besides, all Star Wars prequels were shot a year before Williams started scoring.

P.S. The movie should be cut when Williams starts composing the music, not when he records it.

I think everyone needs to calm down a bit.

Heck, I could post right now that Spielberg heard JW's first day of recording, dumped the score and got Zimmer to re-score in 5 weeks, and the board would probably cave in.

This is hilarious. People actually believe whole-heartedly that this score will be as hacked up as the prequel scores just because Lucas is executive producer and because of the timetables.

Yes, and tomorrow a great flood may swallow New Jersey

That may happen, who knows.

Why not Holland? It's in a much danger as the New York coastline. So start at your own backdoor why don't you! ;)

Unlike the Americans, who are apparently unable to pretect there vulnerable shorelines we are fully protected.

There's always a possibility of a crack in your defences.

jdo0077l.jpg

How to deal with Dutch people: Part 5

Don't make holes in the dikes. Such behaviour is commonly disapproved and in extreme cases it can get you stoned by wooden shoes. But feel free to put your finger in the dike if you feel the urge. It will at least get you a few laughs from the natives.

When I said that after Katrina, you people were angry with me!

How to deal with Dutch people: Part 5

Don't make holes in the dikes. Such behaviour is commonly disapproved and in extreme cases it can get you stoned by wooden shoes. But feel free to put your finger in the dike if you feel the urge. It will at least get you a few laughs from the natives.

Your mother sucks shamrocks in hell!

This is hilarious. People actually believe whole-heartedly that this score will be as hacked up as the prequel scores just because Lucas is executive producer and because of the timetables.

Yes, how ... unlikely ...?

Yes, how ... unlikely ...?

It did not happen on the other 3 Indy movies, right now it is more 'unlikely' than 'likely'

I'm still trying to figure out how we got to this point.

Just because some damn teaser trailer got pushed back and we didn't get a presidential press conference to explain why people suddenly have a massive panic attack.

Yes, Conrad is already working on Indy IV. Don't know if he's the only one.

As some of you pointed out, "orchestrating" for JW is merely taking notes from the sketches and moving them to the right staves on a full score. Although, knowing JW, he wouldn't trust just anyone to do this; so since they've been working together for about 15 years, we can safely assume Conrad Pope is one the best orchestrator in the business (which he actually is, by the way - he worked with us on the 79th oscars and he was just amazing).

H.

Actually John Neufeld is JW's main orchestrator, I believe.

I believe you are incorrect. Conrad Pope has been with JW for a while.

I'm sorry, but I believe you're wrongly informed. Neufeld has been longer with JW than Pope has. It seems Conrad Pope has more of an advisory function to both JW and John Neufeld. Conrad Pope himself has stated in a 2001 interview the following:

"[...] I’m fortunate enough to have a good relationship with John as well as with his principle orchestrator, John Neufeld. He has actually known Williams for some 40 years now. He actually started playing clarinet under him. Luckily for me, when they need a little bump, they give me a call."

Besides, looking at the original orchestral scores that I own myself, >90% is indeed handwritten and signed by John Neufeld.