Excitement level: Indiana Jones 4 vs. Phantom Menace

Josh500

Will you be more excited about the Indy 4 score than in 1999 before TPM was released?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Indy 4 vs. TPM

• Hell, yeah!
    • Hell, no!
    • Hard to say . . . about the same.

When TPM was released it was the 4th Star Wars movie (although a prequel).

Now, we have the 4th Indiana Jones movie (a sequel).

Do you think you will be more excited about this score than you were about the TPM score?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is actually an interesting question. Let's see:

TPM- New Star Wars music. First SW score in 16 years. At the time I was still just getting into Williams, I had the OT SE's and knew them like the back of my hand, but it wouldn't be until the next year that I branched out from SW to Williams in general.

Indy 4- First Indy score in 19 years. First new Williams score period in two and a half years. I'm much more of a fan now than back then.

That's pretty close. I think I might say TPM more just because it's SW, but Indy 4 has the advantage of being the first new Williams score in forever. But neither will match the anticipation for RotS, the last SW score.

But neither will match the anticipation for RotS, the last SW score.

Really? RotS?

Actually, for me neither will match the anticipation of PoA, the last JW-scored HP. I couldn't wait for that to come out!

I would imagine IJ4 will be written in the same vein as Williams post 2000 music.

The only thing that remains to be seen is if Spielberg can conjur up a film that will inspire Williams after a 2-1/2 year hiatus from film scoring.

In 1999,TPM was the most anticipated thing ever for me.

I was reading every magazine for nuggets of info on the film,I even had a subscription to "the Star Wars Insider" and buying action figures like crazy.

Wasn't even into music seriously in 1999.

Ditto.

Same. TPM was I think one of my first soundtracks, and I think it was just a gift, I didn't even really want it!

TPM. First - I was more SW fan than I'm IJ's, second - Williams in 1999 was in much better shape than he is now. Back then I was 100% sure he would write terrific score, but right now I am full of doubt, because I have no idea what to expect.

TPM was I think one of my first soundtracks, and I think it was just a gift, I didn't even really want it!

That's exactly what happened with me too! I just liked Star Wars, so I randomly asked for the TPM CD for my birthday, and never listened to it much until I became an actual film music fan a year or two later.

Only became a filmscore fan in '01, so I can't compare. We'll see as we get closer to crunch time, but, so far, from what I gather reading archives from '98-'99, the excitment level isn't near that for the score. I mean, reading the old FSMs, they were brimming with excitment, even reprinting a Boston Glboe article on the score when they had nothing new to report.

TPM was I think one of my first soundtracks, and I think it was just a gift, I didn't even really want it!

That's exactly what happened with me too! I just liked Star Wars, so I randomly asked for the TPM CD for my birthday, and never listened to it much until I became an actual film music fan a year or two later.

Yes! I liked TPM, but for whatever reason, I didn't hear it that much. Then somebody gave me By Request (a JW compilation), and I got totally into this stuff. Then I started listening to TPM more, I got ESB, I got ANH. . . .

I discovered the concept of edits and unreleased music with Fellowship of the Ring. A truly disappointing find.

The music of TPM was introduced to me when my mum found it for £2 in WHSmith in 2003. I thought it was amazing back then, although I don't listen to much SW these days.

Score wise, definitely Indy 4. I wasn't a music fan (film or otherwise) when Menace came out, I was only eight.

Film wise, Menace would have to barely inch by. That entire summer practically revolved around that movie.

I still remember discovering the concepts of OST edits and unreleased music with TPM. I was spoiled by the SEs.

A truly heartbreaking lesson. And then you discover the concept of the bootleg...

- J Dan, who has been compiling a RotS expanded edit.

Score wise, definitely Indy 4. I wasn't a music fan (film or otherwise) when Menace came out, I was only eight.

Film wise, Menace would have to barely inch by. That entire summer practically revolved around that movie.

I'm a year older than you! I've always felt like the youngest person here.

1. I don't know.

2. I didn't know such things even existed until maybe a year ago.

3. Scanning through arguments in the 60+ page Prequel Resource thread about the placement of obscure leaked video game music intimidated the hell out of me ever undertaking such a task.

4. Recent inspiration from Roald's "Underrated" thread.

RotS is the score that marks the beginning of my true soundtrack fandom and I finally decided that despite my complete musical inadequacy I NEEDED to really get familiar with the score and compile an edit that I could enjoy listening to. Probably way more than anyone wanted to know...

To get back to the topic at hand, let's just say that in '99 when I first heard Duel of the Fates (before seeing the movie) I referred to it as weird choir music.

So, yeah. Definitely anticipating IJ4's score more. :(

All perfectly valid reasons. You'll find it a much enjoyable score in it's complete form (or at least expanded, if you're not using DVD rips). And don't get too hung up on track times and cue sheets, don't be afraid to pop in the movie while editing and just figure it out by ear, that's how I got started.

To get back to the topic at hand, let's just say that in '99 when I first heard Duel of the Fates (before seeing the movie) I referred to it as weird choir music.

So, yeah. Definitely anticipating IJ4's score more. :(

:lol: :lol:

But at least you have it right. I know a guy who doesn't know much about soundtracks, but he has heard DOTF. He told me it was opera. :lol:

You know this what I been talking about before. The score for Indiana Jones 4 is just going to be like the score for the Phantom Menace with this period of timescale. 16 years later for star wars prequel and now 18 years later for Indiana Jones IV. The big different is that John William development or improvement in his style of writing over the years. I don't think you know won't hear that same old sound of his back in the 80s.

Considering I think the Phantom Menace score sound different compared to the score in classic star wars trilogy, which I think it going happen the same here with Indiana Jones IV.

Spielberg might specifically tell Williams to go "all out" in his old 80's style,and not an attempt to be more subdued or go for a modern style(he can do it,he did it for HP1).Maybe he'd want to send the score trending back to what it used to be.

the score will still sound modern though especially the new themes they he will come up for crystal skulls and other new characteristics in the new movie. it hard to say that it it is less likely that he will go back to his old style. Spielberg might probably ask john Williams to come up a new fresh score rather doing a rehash of the old 80s style.

I have this theory that if Williams becomes a bit senile,his brain will revert to an earlier stage and he'll start churning out scores that sound like 1985

More I think about it the more I reckon that John Williams score for Indy IV will be a throw in of a bit of mixture of old 80 styles with the old themes as well using his modern style of his for the new themes as well... Just like what he did with the score for phantom Menace...

I have this theory that if Williams becomes a bit senile,his brain will revert to an earlier stage and he'll start churning out scores that sound like 1985

Hah! I'd never wish such an affliction on anyone, but I wouldn't complain much if that were the case... ;)

I'm not sure we can compare yet.

When Phantom Menace came out, it was crazy. That movie was everywhere.

I felt I'd seen the entire film before I'd even set foot in the theatre, just because I'd seen so many clips and specials and featurettes.

We're not in that stage yet with Indy 4 (and I doubt we will, Indy's not that huge).

Can't speak for the score, though.

Spielberg might specifically tell Williams to go "all out" in his old 80's style,and not an attempt to be more subdued or go for a modern style(he can do it,he did it for HP1).Maybe he'd want to send the score trending back to what it used to be.

Why would he do that?

I Remember that I heard that John Williams got really excited about this new Indiana Jones IV movie. So watch out.... he might go crazy about it like he did with The Phantom Menace.

Two things:

1. He's coming out of a two-year film-scoring break.

2. That's the score he himself has been wanting to do for sometime.

If this doesn't become a HUGE SPECTACULAR VINTAGE JOHN WILLIAMS SCORE, I'll eat my shorts . . . without salt! ;)

I'm a year older than you! I've always felt like the youngest person here.

You are.

Why would he do that?

Spielberg has said he's harkening back to the style of the original films (SFX, cinematography...). A better question is "Why wouldn't he do that?"

All perfectly valid reasons. You'll find it a much enjoyable score in it's complete form (or at least expanded, if you're not using DVD rips).

I'm mostly piggybacking off other edits I've picked up. Mixing and matching tracks for the best listening experience, not necessarily going for completeness.

And don't get too hung up on track times and cue sheets, don't be afraid to pop in the movie while editing and just figure it out by ear, that's how I got started.

Thanks for the encouragement. I've been itching to go over the movie again. I never before realized exactly how lacking the OST is.

I found TFM at a car boot sale at the end of the days trading for £1, I snapped it up. I think that I’ve played it once in about four years. It just does nothing for me, Probably because the film was so terrible. If we talk Star Wars music then nothing can compere to the Empire Strikes Back. I think that Williams was at his peak. This is interesting to say because Raiders was about to enter the scene. I’d say that all 3 Indy soundtracks are excellent in a parallel way the original Star Wars films were. If we separate The new film and all of it dreadful CGI effects (Oh! We will have to endure them if Star Wars 1,2 and 3 are anything to go by.) And concentrate purely on the score then id say that we are in for another TFM. Dull boring and forever in the shadows of the music from the original trilogy.

I found TFM at a car boot sale at the end of the days trading for £1, I snapped it up. I think that I’ve played it once in about four years. It just does nothing for me, Probably because the film was so terrible. If we talk Star Wars music then nothing can compere to the Empire Strikes Back. I think that Williams was at his peak. This is interesting to say because Raiders was about to enter the scene. I’d say that all 3 Indy soundtracks are excellent in a parallel way the original Star Wars films were. If we separate The new film and all of it dreadful CGI effects (Oh! We will have to endure them if Star Wars 1,2 and 3 are anything to go by.) And concentrate purely on the score then id say that we are in for another TFM. Dull boring and forever in the shadows of the music from the original trilogy.

That's a bit harsh, IMHO. TPM is a decent effort. There are plenty of great moments. Duel of the Fates is one of JW's best pieces ever.

That's a bit harsh, IMHO. TPM is a decent effort. There are plenty of great moments. Duel of the Fates is one of JW's best pieces ever.

I agree that statement is a bit harsh. By the way the OST does suck because of the arrangement but if you edit yourself a complete intended version of the score you'll find that a lot more enjoyable. At least I know I do.