• B- (80%)
    • C+ (79%)
    • C (75%)
    • C- (70%)
    • D+ (69%)
    • D (65%)
    • D- (60%)
    • F (0%)

Since the dust of polls seems to have settled, the Grading Threads have returned, but due to the absence we're going to be revisiting a couple of notable scores released since this past summer.

Today Ratatouille is on the menu...you know the drill. You've seen it, you've heard it, now you grade it!

I personally give it a B-. A solid an entertaining product by Giacchino.

Stastics on Contemporary Scores, as graded by JWFan.com:

gradingthreadsua9.png

Click here for past grading threads

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

B-. It's not that it's a bad score, but I just can't get into it. I like The Incredibles much more. But I have heard from many people in that other thread that it is better if you've seen the movie, so that may have altered my vote. It remains one of my least listened to scores, though.

One of the best scores of the year!

Really not saying much, you know. :(

Well it is... what else do you want? A track-by-track analysis, a detailed essay on how it worked in the film, etc. All I had time for was "One of the best of the year!" Anyway, here is what I said about the score on my radio show.

"This is yet another thematic gold mine with not one but two themes written for the main character, Remy. Michael incorporates a lot of mickey mousing with a lot of sudden starts and stops. The orchestrations are perfect and the action music is wild and zany. And too my surprise, Dan Wallin’s recording is crisp and clean and wonderful mixed. I’ll be honest, I’m not the biggest fan of Dan Wallin’s recording technicque… but that’s another story. This is another fine effort from one of the Hollywood’s best composers at the moment."

Better?

-Erik-

Really not saying much, you know. :(

Well it is... what else do you want? A track-by-track analysis, a detailed essay on how it worked in the film, etc. All I had time for was "One of the best of the year!" Anyway, here is what I said about the score on my radio show.

"This is yet another thematic gold mine with not one but two themes written for the main character, Remy. Michael incorporates a lot of mickey mousing with a lot of sudden starts and stops. The orchestrations are perfect and the action music is wild and zany. And too my surprise, Dan Wallin’s recording is crisp and clean and wonderful mixed. I’ll be honest, I’m not the biggest fan of Dan Wallin’s recording technicque… but that’s another story. This is another fine effort from one of the Hollywood’s best composers at the moment."

Better?

-Erik-

I like it better :lol:

I give "R" A-. Nothing ground breaking, using many chlishes (not without purpose), but very entertaining and written better than most of the stuff out there now.

Really not saying much, you know. ;)

Better?

-Erik-

I think the wink indicated that Mr. Crichton's comment was intended to be lighthearted, not a criticism.

Anyway, your comments on the score definitely make me want to check it out. I haven't heard anything from Giacchino aside from his war video game scores.

Anyway, your comments on the score definitely make me want to check it out. I haven't heard anything from Giacchino aside from his war video game scores.

You can hear a suite from the score on my radio show.

http://www.geocities.com/cinematicsound/

Summer Film Music Review Part I > Hour 3 > Suite #9 > About 40 minutes in.

Here is the playlist

http://www.geocities.com/cinematicsound/pl...sept_20_07.html

Enjoy!

-Erik-

You can hear a suite from the score on my radio show.

http://www.geocities.com/cinematicsound/

Summer Film Music Review Part I > Hour 3 > Suite #9 > About 40 minutes in.

Here is the playlist

http://www.geocities.com/cinematicsound/pl...sept_20_07.html

Enjoy!

-Erik-

Thanks!

B-. Because anything more would be too much, anything less would wouldn't be enough. The album doesn't survive too many listens with me.

Really not saying much, you know. ;)

Better?

-Erik-

I think the wink indicated that Mr. Crichton's comment was intended to be lighthearted, not a criticism.

It certainly was, making the point that saying it's one of the best scores of the year in a year like this is not saying much. I would've expected you to get that Erik, you're a fun guy and we've had very pro-Giacchino exchanges before. Oh well, all cleared up now. :P

And thanks, Ray.