What's Lawrence Kasdan Up To These Days?

Just curious. I think Episode III would be 100% better if he got to helm it. But that's just me. Lucas is good, but I think he's starting to lose touch a little bit.

I also hope Kasdan returns for the proposed 4th Indiana Jones film.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kasdan said that he would never work on it again. As far as I know he and Lucas had dissagreements, bad ones. Also when I asked him about working with Williams on Accidental Tourist and why he didn't use him again his reply was this:

"Williams works by himself. You give him a film and he takes it and delivers the final product. He doesn't like interaction and says he knows what the film needs. I don't work that way, I need more collaboration. Luckily what he came up with was good, but I can't work with someone like that again."

From his mouth, to mine to yours...

"Williams works by himself. You give him a film and he takes it and delivers the final product. He doesn't like interaction and says he knows what the film needs. I don't work that way, I need more collaboration. Luckily what he came up with was good, but I can't work with someone like that again."  

WOW I dont doubt you at all - but that does go against what we're used to hearing - when did you meet up with Kasdan to have a chance to ask him that...?

What is this "Luckily what he came up with was good"??? Since when has JW come up with anything less?? I reckon by now he has proved that luck has nothing to do with it.

He came to speak to a bunch of us up-and coming composers a few years ago and we got to sit and talk to him after he spoke. What he meant by "Luckily what he came up with was good" was the fact that just because Williams wrote the theme, Kasdan had not heard it orchestrally. He might not have liked it. I think he did mention that he played it earlier on the piano but he also said that Williams did not do mock ups for the director to hear which is the norm now in Hollywood. Most directors want to hear everything mocked up and sounding near perfect before you go into the studio to conduct the orchestra. I actually said that I think he's making a big mistake by not working with him again, which wasn't seen as the thing to say, but hey, I have my view and besides, I hate the way directors and producers who have no idea about music, butcher and shcange things all over the place. Please, give the composer some credit!!!!

Although John Williams invariably delivers excellent music, I think it'd be smug even for him to say he knows precisely what the film needs. That really shouldn't be his decision: it should be the director's.

(Of course, that doesn't mean the director is the music expert, or anything. It doesn't mean he should be able take the composer's finished product and hack it to pieces in post-production. AHEM)

Hlao-roo - is your little graphic playing anything in particular. It's ringing a bell but I can't work out what it is. Have I got too much time on my hands...??

If that is true,then that would give Lucas the right to do anything with whatever competed score Williams wrote if he didn't like parts of it...

K.M.Now a bit confused.

Well, you have a point to some degree, but there's still time for Williams to change things that Lucas or anyone else didn't like. He does play them the themes and motiffs on the piano and who know's if Star Wars was more of a collaboration, I mean that was just Kasdan's statement. Maybe he's different with Lucas and Spielberg.

Of course he is. I mean --- he practically owes them his career.

Director - who wonders what Goldsmith would have done with Star Wars and E.T.. :cry:

Kasdan is working on the movie Dreamcatcher by Stephen King, which I personally thought was his best in years. This could be a fun, scary, gross film.

In a recent news bit at TheForce.Net Lawrence Kasdan praises Lucas, and the stuff at the top of this post about his disliking Lucas doesn't seem to hold water, according to the article.