James Newton Howard's Water Horse

David Coscina

After a little break from his normal greatness, it sounds like James Newton Howard has returned to fine form with The Water Horse. While the premise of the film seems a little hokey, the music is pretty solid. There's a lot of Vaughan Williams influence in the string tracks which is all right by me as VW is one of my favorite composers and JN Howard doesn't him off. Like Williams did with Angela's Ashes, it's more that the music is written in the style or idiom that VW worked in.

Some truly beautiful tracks are on this score. It's available on iTunes too.

If this is an indication of where JN Howard is headed, I'm so looking forward to his score for I AM LEGEND.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back? I would argue that his greatness has only continued to build over the years. The Water Horse is simply magnificent. I'm kind of speechless right now.

Ted

I'm trying to get work done, but I'm finding it tough to concentrate while listening to this score. It's very hard to stop listening. "Swimming" is one of those classic JNH cues that covers such a deep emotional palette. Just beautiful.

Ted

Unfortunately, the iTunes release contains 4 exclusive tracks totaling around 12.5 minutes.

I am glad to hear he's back to greatness after some real stinkers though.

Really? Glad I bought it then! I also pre-ordered the CD from Amazion but I do not think I will cancel it.

I'd love to know what these stinkers are. Many people are all over him for a bad score to Michael Clayton, but I think it works perfectly in the film, lending atmosphere and emotion where necessary. 25 Dollar's Worth is a fine standalone cue as well. I would agree that RV and Freedomland are not good, but neither are their respective films. Last year, he had Blood Diamond and Lady in the Water, both excellent, and the year before King Kong and the Interpreter. His material in Batman Begins was moody and subtle. What more can be asked of him?

All this talk about JNH "returning to form" reminds me of all the critics who sickeningly dubbed "The Departed" a return to form for Martin Scorsese, as if the only good movies the man has made were mob movies. Come on now...

Ted

We've spoken extensivly about JNH recently....some of us (well, me at least), feel he has several brilliant scores, but that more often than not his scores are good and listenable, but not particularly special. The last score I heard of his that knocked me out was The Village. I enjoy several of his scores since, but they didn't strike me as 'special' as JNH can be.

I'm really looking forward to this score now, since I generally agree very much with Fiery Angel's reviews. Also, I'm expecting quite a good score for I Am Legend. When Howard works on the sci-fi/fantasy genre, he usually delivers really some nice scores.

Unfortunately, the iTunes release contains 4 exclusive tracks totaling around 12.5 minutes.

That's the US ITunes, I'm guessing, which means I'll miss out on this additional music as I'm in the UK! :-( Tell us about these 4 cues if you can; I'd like to know what I'm missing out on.

Will have to make do with the CD which Amazon tells me is on its way - looking forward to that at least.

Thanks,

APBez

Assholes!

They know this does nothing but piss off music fans and line Steve's pocket more.

I would say his output recently, while not as amazing as the last few years, has been fairly good. I really enjoy the Interpreter and Freedomland, and I think stuff like RV is best just forgotten - I'm sure he did that as a favour for producer/director.

At this time, there are no plans of a release for I Am Legend, which really surprises me. It seems too big of a score not to release. Hopefully Varese will pick it up, since they are releasing his other two December scores. Can you believe that? Four scores in the month of December! Bravo, James.

Regarding the iTunes cues, only two of them are really significant: "Naming Crusoe" and "Lewis Discovers Crusoe". Both are good; the latter alternates between playful winds and mysterious brass/strings before going into another Irish riff featuring the Chieftains. It's a nice cue/ "Naming Crusoe" is a more tender piece with a bit of bells thrown in for some light magic. It starts with an Irish sounding melody driven by winds, then does some mickey-mousing, and then features a beautiful rendition of the main theme.

The whole score has a very E.T. feel, structurally and emotionally. Obviously, it is very different, but JNH uses his themes in a similar way Williams does in E.T., developing them in small ways throughout the score, featuring very tender renditions of them before busting them out in all their glory later in the score. "Swimming" is almost like the first flying cue from E.T., where much of the action music near builds great tension before the huge statements of the themes.

Some of this is probably due to the story being like E.T., but I just thought it interesting that JNH's structural approach and overall sensitivity to the music is very similar to Williams. The main inspirational theme is not as strong as the flying theme, naturally, but some of the quieter cues and secondary themes, particularly one featuring a vocal soloist are sublime. The moods he builds with the guitars, winds, and bells contrasts amazingly with those brilliant JNH string chords.

I can't stop listening to this... I find new treasures each time I listen.

Ted

I used to get excited about seeing a composer's name attached to certain films, expecting them to score the title.

Jumanji quickly slapped me back to reality.

Varese Sarabande is releasing I am Legend.

link

At this time, there are no plans of a release for I Am Legend, which really surprises me. It seems too big of a score not to release. Hopefully Varese will pick it up, since they are releasing his other two December scores. Can you believe that? Four scores in the month of December! Bravo, James.

I AM LEGEND

Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

Music Composed by James Newton Howard

Will Smith

Robert Neville (Will Smith) is a brilliant scientist, but even he could not contain the terrible virus that was unstoppable, incurable … and manmade. Somehow immune, Neville is now the last human survivor in what is left of New York City … and maybe the world. But he is not alone. He is surrounded by “the Infected” — victims of the plague who have mutated into carnivorous beings who can only exist in the dark and who will devour or infect anyone or anything in their path. For three years, Neville has spent his days scavenging for food and supplies and faithfully sending out radio messages, desperate to find any other survivors who might be out there. All the while, the Infected lurk in the shadows, watching Neville’s every move, waiting for him to make a fatal mistake. Perhaps mankind’s last, best hope, Neville is driven by only one remaining mission: to find a way to reverse the effects of the virus using his own immune blood. But his blood is also what The Infected hunt, and Neville knows he is outnumbered and quickly running out of time.

The gripping score by James Newton Howard is being described as one of the composer’s finest.

Warner Bros. will open I AM LEGEND nationwide on December 14.

Catalog #: 302 066 878 2

Release Date: 01/15/08

Source

Edit: Whoops, two minutes too late.

Varese, like most people selling anything, have a tendency to exaggerate their stuff. I would love for it to be true. It sounds like it could be a terrific score. But I've been hurt too many times.

I used to get excited about seeing a composer's name attached to certain films, expecting them to score the title.

Jumanji quickly slapped me back to reality.

:rolleyes:

Great news on I Am Legend! I trust in the quality of JNH's work over the past eigght or nine years to warrant great interest in this score. For now, The Water Horse will suffice.

Ted, observing JNH's filmography quickly becoming one of the most impressive of any film composer

We've spoken extensivly about JNH recently....some of us (well, me at least), feel he has several brilliant scores, but that more often than not his scores are good and listenable, but not particularly special. The last score I heard of his that knocked me out was The Village. I enjoy several of his scores since, but they didn't strike me as 'special' as JNH can be.

This is as emotive and melodic as his writing from The Village. Believe me, I was as skeptical as you until I listened through this a couple times. Very amazing score. If the film isn't too cheesy, this could receive a nod for the Oscars. It's that good.

This is as emotive and melodic as his writing from The Village. Believe me, I was as skeptical as you until I listened through this a couple times. Very amazing score. If the film isn't too cheesy, this could receive a nod for the Oscars. It's that good.

Seeing as we seem to be in general agreement about JNH, I am now VERY excited about this score.

Hmm... I think it's quite good and has some wonderful moments, but I don't know if I would say it's on par with the Village. It's certainly a return to his melodic orchestral side, but it's a pretty typical fantasy score. I've only given it two complete listens, so I may come around more in time, but as of this writing, I'd say it's merely good.

One thing that annoyed me was the cliché wailing woman in the track End of the Story. I suppose it's not exactly wailing -- more like mournful woman expressing her sadness through softly singing intangible words --, but it definitely overpowered what sounded like a lovely orchestral piece underneath. Granted, that might have been a temp track thing, but still annoying.

Well I'm reviewing it for FSM but here's a capsule review:

Pros- JN Howard does re-visit the melodic, full bodied orchestral style that made him popular thanks to scores like Wyatt Earp, Flatliners, Grand Canyon, Unbreakable, The Village and Signs. In fact, I think it's more melodic than most of Signs which was more motivically driven. He keeps a consistent stylistic voice throughout the score adhering to the harmonic motion of the Gallic music and tone of the film. The CD pacing is excellent. The tracks are well balanced and move toward an excellent finish. The balancing of the Chieftain's is so good it reminds me of Williams' Far and Away score. Check out "The Fisherman" and you will hear what I mean. Excellent!

Cons- One or two tracks sound a little close to Tom Newman's groove-based style that incorporates popular music traits. One other track gets a shade too close to Braveheart but develops into its own sound after a minute.

When does the movie come out? I am debating whether I need to hear this in film first. I like to do that with JNH, especially if the score is apparently really good (and the movie is also not a stinker!)

Should I hear it before seeing the movie, or wait....hmm...

Hmm... I think it's quite good and has some wonderful moments, but I don't know if I would say it's on par with the Village. It's certainly a return to his melodic orchestral side, but it's a pretty typical fantasy score. I've only given it two complete listens, so I may come around more in time, but as of this writing, I'd say it's merely good.

One thing that annoyed me was the cliché wailing woman in the track End of the Story. I suppose it's not exactly wailing -- more like mournful woman expressing her sadness through softly singing intangible words --, but it definitely overpowered what sounded like a lovely orchestral piece underneath. Granted, that might have been a temp track thing, but still annoying.

I retract that entire first paragraph. This is a truly great score. According to iTunes, I've already listened to it ten times. A wonderful work. Highly recommended.

It has grown on me the more I've listened to it as well. Definitely one of the best, if not the best score this year.

Are there action cues, and if so, how are they? I'm asking this because I thought the melodic string cues from The Village were brilliant, but the action thriller stuff was horribly mediocre.

in my brothers room

indy4?

Just got the score and have listened to the first 4 cues.

Wow! He's back on top form with wonderful melodies (even if some of it does sound a little Newman) and a totally addictive main title. Can't wait to give the score a full listen.

"Saving Crusoe*

*Drooooooooooool*

:sigh:

JNH's action writing has really blossomed into something wowza. His soft/grand material was always powerful, now the action has pulled up to a consistent high.

Mark my words, this man will be the Hollywood's next #1.

Well I'm reviewing it for FSM but here's a capsule review:

Pros- JN Howard does re-visit the melodic, full bodied orchestral style that made him popular thanks to scores like Wyatt Earp, Flatliners, Grand Canyon, Unbreakable, The Village and Signs. In fact, I think it's more melodic than most of Signs which was more motivically driven. He keeps a consistent stylistic voice throughout the score adhering to the harmonic motion of the Gallic music and tone of the film. The CD pacing is excellent. The tracks are well balanced and move toward an excellent finish. The balancing of the Chieftain's is so good it reminds me of Williams' Far and Away score. Check out "The Fisherman" and you will hear what I mean. Excellent!

Cons- One or two tracks sound a little close to Tom Newman's groove-based style that incorporates popular music traits. One other track gets a shade too close to Braveheart but develops into its own sound after a minute.

Ugh, that sounds so underwhelming. A typical, orchestral score for a film about the last man on Earth? Not that I'm expecting much from the film, of course.

Ugh, that sounds so underwhelming. A typical, orchestral score for a film about the last man on Earth? Not that I'm expecting much from the film, of course.

I think it's a film about a boy that finds a friendly sea monster

I'm not sure how anything in my capsule review said about JN Howard's music could be construed as a "typical orchestral score". Using the Chieftain's was a great choice and the way Howard contrasts them with the orchestra is adept.

The main topic of this thread was the Waterhorse (Loch ness monster film).

Some people were getting excited about I Am Legend.

I think JN Howard really did a great job with The Water Horse and I don't care if I AM LEGEND suffers because of it. I'm thinking Howard will score it like FALLING DOWN with more textural music devices rather than an overt melody.

EDIT- I just read Dan's review of the film and score. If "delicate piano pieces that underscore the emotional parts" doesn't work for some people, perhaps they should toss out their UNBREAKABLE score since a lot of that score was very subdued but very effective nonetheless. Based on this review, I am actually more interested in the score than I was before.

Me too. I love his piano work - even that featured in some of his lesser scores, i.e. Dreamcatcher, is superb and meaningful.

Having listened more to Water Horse, it has a few dull tracks but when it's good, it's really good. And I'm very glad that it appears the whole finale is included - seems to be a new trend for JNH.

Well, I've been able to fully listen to this several times, and I'm getting to really enjoy it. As has been said before, there is great re-listen value to this score; at first, it's easy to pick out the grand statements of theme and Celtic jigs, but after a few times you start to notice smaller details, be it a little flute solo here or a rhythmic figure there. Great Irish atmosphere throughout, helped by the Chieftains' enthusiasm, and there are lots of good motifs sprinkled throughout. The action music, most notably in the standout cue "Swimming" and the several tracks leading up to the finale, is really top-notch, engaging stuff. Very Howard-esque, but with a distinct flavor to it. And the main theme, while not particularly original, is extremely effective in its varied renditions. The outburst of it in "Swimming" nearly brought tears to my eyes the first time I listened. It's so nice to hear another effort like this from Howard, after some less interesting projects this year. He's definitely one of the composers keeping intelligent, engaging, well-crafted film music alive today.

Swimming is probably my favourite cue from the score. It has absolutely everything in all of its 6 1/2 minute glory.

The theme is very quickly growing on me and I found myself humming it all day yesterday. The repeated string piece (like at the end of Driving to the Loch) is equally memorable.

The only cue I have not been listening to much is strangely the Suite at the end. I think I was expecting more thematic content, and not just the Chieftans playing for 5 minutes. I don't like Irish music that much, so that's probably why, but other than that cue, fantastic job James :lol: