When you feel depressed and blue . . .

Josh500

Actually, lately, I've been feeling a little down because the bookmark fell out of a book I was reading and now I can't find where I was up to.

So to combat this depression, I've been listening to...

1. "Arlington" from JFK

2. "Theme from Schindler's List" from... Schindler's List

3. "Theme from Angela's Ashes" from... Angela's Ashes

4. "Ray and Rachel" from War of the Worlds

5. "Munich, 1972" from Munich

:lol: Are you related to Hitch?!

Perfect lifting of spirits cues for me:

The Land Race from Far & Away

Back to America from Angela's Ashes - the sheer optimism of this cue is wonderful, I often listen to this!

Main Title from Heidi

Robbery from Fitzwilly

Celebrate Discovery Fanfare

Summon the Heroes

Olympic Fanfare & Theme

Jim's New Life from Empire of the Sun

Chasing Rockets from Superman The Movie

to name but a few, there are many from other composers too!

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I'm depressed I listen to Danny Elfman's Red Dragon.

Easy one for me: from JURASSIC PARK, "Journey to the Island": there is this happy-go-lucky theme played by the violins in C major, with trills and the horns doing this back and forth "g-c-g-c-g-c" with tambourine accompaniment. Very sprightly and uplifting.

1. E.T.- HANDS DOWN!!!! Particularly the flying theme.....

2. Jurassic Park- especially "Welcome to the Island"

3. Indiana Jones trilogy- "The Raiders March" in particular....

4. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone- my favorite is "Hedwig's Theme"

5. Close Encounters

• 1 year later...

I listen to "Journey to the Island," "Harry's Wondrous World," "Raiders Mach," "The Jungle Chase," "Indy's Very First Adventure," "The Boat Scene"...

Oddly enough, I also find myself listening to Schindler's List very often.

I usually listen to these albums in their entirety when I am down. For me they have a sort of counter effect:

Angela's Ashes

Schindler's List

Sleepers

Seven Years in Tibet

A.I.

Meeting with Mao from Nixon

Cinque's theme from Amistad

Healing from Rosewood

Heartwood

Elegy for Cello and Orchestra

I don't get depressed.

Now how about hypothetically if you did? What JW cues would you listen then?

First Zimmer and now Goldsmith! :lol:

Heresy! Name John Williams tracks people!

Well I guess it depends on what you're trying to do: uplift yourself, or find a second voice with which to commiserate.

I find that certain tracks from Ben-Hur are uplifting (won't mention their titles so as to not get everybody up tight about a religious post), as well as a few from CEot3K. It's nearly impossible to stay down when listening to the Throne Room and End Title from Star Wars.

Now, I absolutely avoid Bernard Herrmann during these times, for reasons I've mentioned before.

If I'm depressed, it's for reasons that no silly song is going to fix.

Absolutely. I find my listening habits tend not to change based on my mood. I get in the mood for certain scores, styles, composers, etc. of course, but that's it.

I've heard it plenty but I was joking, when I get depressed I don't want to listen to John Williams, I listen to JNH.

To be honest when I have severe bouts of depression I can only listen to Bach. I can't explain it, but when I'm really feeling low I can't listen to music with an ego, and most music from the last 200 years is very personality/ego driven. Most of the time that's what I want. I LOVE Vaughan Williams, John Williams, Prokofiev, Mahler etc. When I'm really depressed or anxious however I can't take anything but the pure musical perfection of Bach. It's like listening to music straight from some celestial realm that hasn't been tainted by human emotion. Lately I've had several bouts of depression (which I've never had before in my life), and Bach's music has been an amazing comfort.

Maybe something soft like The Terminal or an infectiously happy score like Raiders. Much more often when I'm depressed I turn to pop music; I tend to feel a more soulful connection to it. My interests are somewhere in the ballpark of classic rock and newer indie rock.

To be honest when I have severe bouts of depression I can only listen to Bach.

I don't say I can ONLY listen to Bach, but Bach is certainly one of my all-time favorite composers. I'm especially fond of Double Violin Concerto in D Minor. I love all three movements. Great stuff when you're depressed. :lol:

When I feel bad, I usually listen to music that coresponds to my feelings. From JW's output that might be scores like Sleepers or Munich. Or Heartwood. The Days Beetween from Stepmom also fits into that category.

On the other hand, I get depressed when I listen to scores of certain upcoming composers these days....

After logging on today I think we should have a rule in effect that requires people to search or identical threads before posting new ones.........

:lol:

After logging on today I think we should have a rule in effect that requires people to search or identical threads before posting new ones.........

Really, why? So that the few members who were here for the original thread don't have to deal with deciding to post a reply similar to one they posted years ago and probably don't even remember? So that the server is condensed and saves on bills? Well, redundant threads aren't usually deleted; they're only locked, so they still exist and chew up storage space. Why it's forbidden to post multiple threads about music for sad times over the course of years but that it's fine to have nine million polls about your favorite Williams score I do not understand. As for the search function, it's notoriously unreliable in its basic form. You have to do a certain advanced search to turn up anything relevant, something I did not learn until recently, despite having been a member of this board for five or six years.

Missed the winking icon did we?

But apparently someone else must have felt the same way as they merged the new post with the old one without anyone saying something.