Zimmer's Pirates of the Caribbean 2 and 3 Scores

Kalel577

Verbinski played guitar on the score? I didn't know that :(

Some directors just can't resist, can they? PJ on TTT... Spielberg on 1941... Kinda different type of cameo :(

Verbinski also played guitar on The Weather Man. If it's Hans, and it has guitar, and if Gore is directing, he will play.

Also, I've recently come to know that Hans Zimmer had influence on Mouse Hunt. He told Gore how it should sound and then he transferred that to Silvestri.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You think any other composer would have done anything remotely resembling Multiple Jacks, Up is Down, The Bretheren Court, or Parlay? Hell no! Now you can argue their effectiveness, but that's an entirely different debate. Just say "I don't like POTC" and move on.

Can't take criticism, can you?

Arguing about originality and effectiveness when talking about a film score is anything but irrelevant.

Therefor, I'm glad not more composers (or people who call themselves that) are doing music similar to the aforementioned cues.

I have no respect for Zimmer when it comes to his music, sorry. There is nothing to respect. Having respect requires that someone has done something that hasn't been done/accomplished before and was very hard to achieve compared to others who've tried the same thing.

Why don't YOU just say "I like POTC" and move on?

Why don't you stop making witty, bashing remarks whenever someone on this forum dares to say they actually listen to Zimmer?

You may not respect Zimmer, and I respect that as an opinion, but please, let those who enjoy his music (their total right to do so) enjoy it.

You may not respect Zimmer, and I respect that as an opinion, but please, let those who enjoy his music (their total right to do so) enjoy it.

Maybe people shouldn't be constantly discussing him in a John Williams forum. There might be less criticism.

He comes across as a nice guy but his music is just awful.

I love Zimmer's work. It's that melodramatic style that has me shaking. That said, I respect Williams more for his career.

Is that a fair statement?

Maybe people shouldn't be constantly discussing him in a John Williams forum. There might be less criticism.

He comes across as a nice guy but his music is just awful.

Many other composers get discussed here.

There is no section in this forum that says John Williams discussion. It's general discussion, therefore anything that is gerenally involved with film music may be and will be discussed. That includes Hans Zimmer.

Maybe Marc should change the different sections so the people that hate Hans won't have to discuss him. The HZ Forum has that, they have Remote Control section and then any other film music section.

Well composers that are better than Zimmer get discussed here but not as much as ole' Hans does.

So? This is a music forum, expect it to happen.

And I disagree with your casual use of the word "better." There, now we have a new discussion about Zimmer. :)

That's true. I think there's far too much Zimmer-talk on this forum, but, to be fair, a great deal of it starts when someone casually tosses off a negative remark about him, and someone else comes in to defend him.

There is too much Zimmer talk, but people have to be aware that those are the consequences of a casual bashing.

Why don't you stop making witty, bashing remarks whenever someone on this forum dares to say they actually listen to Zimmer?

Why don't you, and people in general, stop taking criticism against Zimmer as an act of pure evilness and unfounded hostility? Why is it so hard for people to accept that Zimmer- critics have good points?

Why don't people get over THAT?

And let those who think he's excruciatingly awful (their total right to do that) articulate it.

Am I stopping people from enjoying it? I'm sorry, but that's absurd.

A sharp and ironic comment about Zimmer provokes such reactions because criticism against him has been so vocal (and they haven't the faintest idea why ...) in the past years that people don't even bother to try and understand the criticism - thankfully one saving step away from those angry nerds who wish everyone who dislikes Zimmer and vocalise it a slow and painful death.

Did this turn into the word association thread?

I have no respect for Zimmer when it comes to his music, sorry. There is nothing to respect. Having respect requires that someone has done something that hasn't been done/accomplished before and was very hard to achieve compared to others who've tried the same thing.

Zimmer created the new age of film scores with the late 80's to early 90's action movies. He also created the modern warfare sound, that other composers go out of their original style to copy. Hans Zimmer has done something that hasn't been done/accomplished before and was very hard to achieve. According to your logic, you must respect him.

A sharp and ironic comment about Zimmer provokes such reactions because criticism against him has been so vocal (and they haven't the faintest idea why ...) in the past years that people don't even bother to try and understand the criticism (...)

Such almost hysterical reactions are usualy the consequence of radical opinions. You are of course entitled to have your opinion about Zimmer and his music, I'm absolutely fine about it despite my disagreement.

But then again, when one says that a particular piece or score, or whole discography IS OBJECTIVELY a crap, and - for instance - somebody else likes it, this latter guy immediately feels like the previous is implying that he like crap.

I am already old enough to control my replies (from time to time) and percieve such opinions as what they really are - just personal opinons.

So what?

Aren't the love theme and the 'Hoist the Colours' theme from this third Bruckheimer-POTC-grenade some of the best themes churned out this year? Answer: they bloody well are...When Hans is able to do something right what most modern composers can't, it's writing tunes.

• 14 years later...