NEW VIDEO: JW Conducting the......

odnurega1

Surprise! As I was doing my daily "JW" search (don't make fun...), I found a video that features John Williams rehearsing with the Simon Bolivar Youth Orchestra! Here is the link:

Have a great day, all!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But you never will, because Williams spurns Europe!

Indeed. Williams is a Europhobic. I suspect his hot drinks mat near his bed is a map of Europe.

And Williams places hot mugs of tea directly on the netherlands, according to intelligence reports.

At least Jerry loved us, Stefan (that was, until the long arm of the Williams made him 'go away')

Because he is the 4th wheel in the well-oiled percussion machine?

It looks to me like he is sitting in on this session, for practise. He might as well be playing snare, better than Timpani or mimicking that rather robust looking fellow doing Cymbals.

I am so impressed by these young players! What a marvellous energy they have!

As for the multiple snare drums; if number of percussionists allows, it can actually greatly enhance otherwise "dull" timbres such as a snare drum ("dull" as in sonorically typically limited in its function), and create more energy and noise. This is a fairly frequent orchestrational "technique" ( or more accurately, a sonic preference, really) in studio settings.

Thanks for posting!

Indeed a very inspired and impressive performance by such a young orchestra. Also great interpretation and musicality. Bravo!

What Marcus wrote about using multiple snare drums is completely correct, however, the two players could've been more together. But since this was only the first rehearsal, I've no doubt that they played perfectly later in the concert. But it does seem strange to me that nobody strikes the tam-tam at 1:44 - it's usually there, isn't it? And they've got it, it's shown just a few seconds before the "critical" moment.

Great performance, but why did Williams use the "old" (ANH) ending instead of the new (ROTJ) one that has replaced it?

It's okay now guys, we know that you all are familiar with the Star Wars scores. So please stop this stupid "why does he this and why does he that" comments.

jeezus they didn't sound like youth! wow, great!!!

hey what's up with the ending though???

I'm not sure, but maybe there was something incorrect in this passage and Williams didn't wanted to loose time with playing the ending.

I only watched it once but I had the feeling they wheren't really together (Williams and orchestra) though it sounded quite nice.

• 3 weeks later...
Does anyone know the specific age range for SBYO?

'twixt 12 and 25, methinks.

For comparison, the youngest members of the LSO are 21 (one of the cellists) and 24 (one of the horn players). But then again they're not a youth orchestra, so I guess it figures.