Rank / Review Your Animated Scores!

indy4

You can do this in anyway - you could just rank them, just review them, just review/rank a few, or just talk about them in general. Doesn't matter, I guess this is sorta like the unofficial Animated Scores thread.

I'll start by ranking all of mine:

1. The Lion King (Hans Zimmer): This is a truly beautiful score. It doesn't have the usual Zimmer action music (except for To Die For), but is weaved with the rythms and sounds of Africa. The begining of Under the Stars is so peaceful and tranquil. You have a mixture of beauty and tradgedy in This Land, and King of Pride Rock brings it all home. Plus, you have the classic Zimmer action music in To Die For, which is very nice as well. It is my favorite Zimmer score. Even the songs are nice (although I don't really like Elton John's version of them). Be Prepared is wicked and fun, and I love the music of Hakuna Matata at 2:17. Circle of Life is also great, though I think it suffers from being played too much, but I still like it. I also like the whole feel of Can You Feel The Love Tonight. Zimmer's score is the highlight of this CD, but the songs are great, too. *****/*****

2. The Nightmare Before Christmas (Danny Elfman): This is a really great CD, almost better the Lion King. It is my favorite of Elfman's work. This is Halloween is my favorite Halloweeny song, it never fails to bring the spirit of Halloween to me. The Overture has some great instrumental renditions of the themes. What's This is a very Christmassy song, I love listening to in in the winter. Jack's Lament is a often listened to song as well, maybe because of the iconic image of Jack on that weird hill thing, maybe just because I like the song. Oogie Boogie (not to be confused with Oingo Boingo) is a great, jazzy song, also great for Halloween. The score represents all the wacky sides of Burton's and Elfman's imaginations, while being a great listen at the same time. I got the special edition, Elfman's demos are nice, the rock songs are....bad. *****/*****

3. A Charlie Brown Christmas (Vince Guaraldi): This is the very best Christmas album of all time, for me. It captures the whole spirit of Christmas, nothing is better to listen to while putting up ornaments on the tree. The piano is the main instrument used here (and there are few others used throughout the whole soundtrack), but it really shines. Linus and Lucy, O Tannenbaum, What Child Is This, My Little Drum, Linus and Lucy, Christmastime is Here (both versions) are AMAZING! The rest of the soundtrack is brilliant too, including all the alternates (which I just bought on iTunes). In fact, the only track I dislike is Fur Elise, but I think it's just because it doesn't sound Christmassy to me, and hearing the rest of the album has put me in a dire need for more Christmas music. I've only seen the TV show a couple times, and I didn't think it was anything amazing. But the score has never failed me. *****/*****

4. Shrek(Harry Gregson-Williams and John Powell):This score is amazing, as well. It has a great mystical theme heard in Fairy Tale. It has a sense of laughter and fun in tracks like Fiona Kicks Ass, and uplifiting, adrenaline-pumping fanfares heard in Ride the Dragon. In addition, it is very beautiful and sad in tracks like Eating Alone, which is pure brilliance. The Transformation is also amazing. This score really has a bit of everything: adventure, laughter, fun, beauty, sadness, and excitement. *****/*****

5. Treasure Planet (James Newton Howard): Apart from having brilliant swashbuckling music, including To The Spaceport, this score also has very tender strings as Silver Leaves. These strings almost rival tracks by Howard like Hand of Fate Part 2, and are better than the tender string moments in King Kong. The electric guitar didn't really bother me, as the movie was supposed to be a high-tec version of the book. However, hearing this score reminds me more of the book than the movie (which is a very very good thing). It is my second favorite Howard score. *****/*****

6.Dinosaur (James Newton Howard): This is an amazing score. The Egg Travels has a beautiful rendition of the main theme, which is really uplifting. The Courtship, sounding a bit Lion-Kingish at times, is another great track, especially when the choir comes in. Like Lion King, you get the beautiful rythms of Africa as well as the sentimental, beautiful stuff. It is truly not a score to miss. My third favorite by Howard. *****/*****

7. The Polar Express (Alan Silvestri): This is a very beautiful, very Christmassy soundtrack. Seeing Is Believing is one of the highlights, beginning with the "trying to believe" theme, but becoming very festive near the end. Suite from the Polar Express is great, too. I also love the jazzy Hot Chocolate song, partially because that scene is so great. I saw the movie a couple days ago, and I realized how much this score is in need of a decent release. There are too many songs on the CD, and not enough score (I love the songs, but it's not like they've never been released before, they were really only taking up space). The score really helped the brilliant movie. Only one complaint: There is a WONDERFUL main theme (Believe), and it can sound so great when played by the orchestra. However, in the movie, it seems to be played EVERY time something profound (or not profound) happens, it gets a little tiresome near the end. Still, a great score, one of my favorite Christmas CDs. ****3/4/***** (probably would be a five if there was a decent release)

8. Corpse Bride (Danny Elfman): Much like Nightmare, this score is filled to the brim with catchy songs. The mecabre like music is brilliant, the highlight of the score being Remains of the Day. This is another great Halloween score. The Main Titles, while not up to par with some other Elfman titles, are very beautiful and sad. The film is a close cousin to Nightmare, but the score differs more than the movies. Great film, great score, I love it. ****3/4/*****

9. Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas (Harry Gregson-Williams): This soundtrack is liked here for its swashbuckling music, which I think is very good. However, it's the eerie music heard in Sirens that I like best. I can totally imagine them trying to enchant the male sailors, it really makes the scene. There is also the mischief of Let The Games Begin and Erris Steals the Book, and a brilliant theme. The swashbuckling music is good, however. There is a great action piece with Rescue, it is just an overall amazing score. ****1/2/*****

10. The Incredibles (Michael Giacchino): This score is a key part of the movie. It wanders back the old day spy films. The Incredits is the highlight, sounding like a high action, slightly corny movie. Life's Incredible Again perfectly catches the montage in the film, but works well on its own, too. It is the essence of smoothness and corniness that makes it perfect. It also has the classic bad guy music in Kronos Unveiled. That music really makes the scene, it is brilliance. ****/*****

11. Wallace and Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit (Julian Nott and others): This score is just plain fun. Anti-Pesto to the Rescue is the highlight of the score, very adventorous, fun, never failing to catch the hilariousness of the movie. It also has the classic horror music heard in A Grand Day Out. Another highlight is the Wallace and Gromit Theme. I've loved that for a while, very catchy, very uplifiting, very oblivious to the danger Wallace is so often in. ****/*****

12. The Simpsons Movie (Hans Zimmer): Like so many other scores listed here, this one is pure fun. Zimmer creates a great secondary theme, heard best in Trapped Like Carrots, one of the album highlights. This theme, while not quite as good as Elfman’s original, is in the same vein. It is heard very well in Why Does Everything I Whip Leave Me?. Release the Hounds is a nice look into Zimmer’s background as a rock musician, it is almost like a better version of The Kraken. Bart's Doodle is hilarious, I love those la-de-da-de-da's. Even Spider Pig is a nice track. Oh, and the track titles are some of the best I’ve ever heard. The packaging on the SE is great, I love the donut! A very pleasant score, different from Zimmer’s usual. ****/*****

13. How The Grinch Stole Christmas! / Horton Hears A Who (Various Artists): This soundtrack is, in a way, more like an audio version of the cartoon, but this could be one of the reasons why I like it so much. However, the pure music is great. Welcome Christmas has a beautiful rendition of the Whos’ song. You’re A Mean One, Mr. Grinch is also a great track (sung by Tony the Tiger). The rest of the score is very Christmassy, I love it. Horton Hears A Who is also nice. Not as good as the Grinch, but still a pleasant listening experience. ***3/4/*****

14. Who Framed Roger Rabbit? (Alan Silvestri): Not sure if this counts, but I think it should. This soundtrack is a wonderful blend of the wackiness of cartoons and the mystery of film noir. Eddie’s Theme is the highlight of the score, and it perfectly captures one of the movie’s moods. It has a wonderful rendition in End Credits. Smile, Darn Ya Smile is a fun song, as is Roger’s Song and Hungarian Rapsody. Other nice tracks are Valiant & Valiant and The Gag Factory. ***1/2/*****

15. Chicken Run (Harry Gregson-Williams and John Powell): This is another nice score. The main titles are fun, almost patriotic sounding. It has many kazoo-like instruments that really make this a genuine cartoon sound. While I consider this way behind Shrek, it is still a great score. It has some uplifting music near the end, at Lift Off. Defenetly not a bad score, but not the greatest ever. ***/*****

16. Mulan (Jerry Goldsmith): This soundtrack has some very nice music and themes. Suite from Mulan has some great orchestral version of the awful pop songs. The main theme is great, perfectly representing the adventure of the movie. I had seen this movie a lot, though, so there wasn’t any unexpected amazement. It is an okay score overall, IMO. The songs were never that catchy for me, and this is way below Lion King, but still a decent score. **1/2/*****

17. Ratatouille (Michael Giacchino): I love the rat’s theme for this, especially as heard in This Is Me. 100 Rat Dash is also a nice track, as is Welcome to Gueastue’s (spelling). I think that this soundtrack really captures the sound of France. I think one of the reasons I’ve never been able to get into this score so much was because I never saw the film. I hope I can one day, if only to appreciate Giacchino’s score more. As for now, it is just a dust collector, though. **1/4/*****

I’m hoping on getting Atlantis for Christmas, so I can add it to this list.

I am still disappointed that JW never got to write an animated score, perhaps later.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas

2. The Nightmare Before Christmas

3. The Incredibles

4. The Simpsons Movie

5. Ratatouille

All I've got. I've always wanted Beauty and the Beast (love the Prologue and Transformation) and Mulan, though.

Problem is, I generally don't tend to like Mickey Mousey music [Tom and Jerry excepted of course]. Y'know...every blink of an eye is accentuated by some random instrument going off. A lot of pre-90's and especially pre NIMH cartoons were rife with it. :D

Goldsmith took us in a new direction, thank god.

I like all of the music listed below. It isn't in any particular order (except the Lion King deserves the top).

The Lion King

Balto

Happy Feet

Over the Hedge

The Land Before Time

Sinbad

Polar Express

Spirited Away

My Neighbor Totoro

Ice Age 2

Shrek 1,2,3

Robots

Howl's Moving Castle

Kiki's Delivery Service

Princess Mononoke

Atlantis: The Lost Empire

Valiant

The Prince of Egypt

Ratatouille

The Ant Bully

Chicken Run

The Simpson's Movie

Treasure Planet

Well, here's my top ten in no particular order:

1. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937): A nice score. More importantly, the first. Not including this would be like leaving out The Jazz Singer on a list of "most influential films in history."

2. Pinocchio (1940): One of the best film scores of all time, live action or animation.

3. The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1996): The best Menken score for Disney.

4. Beauty and the Beast (1991)

5. Bambi (1942): Since this film has so little dialogue (compared to other animated features), the music is even more important.

6. The Secret of NIMH (1982): Goldsmith's best score for an animated film.

7. The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993): One of Elfman's best.

8. The Lion King (1994)

9. Dumbo (1941): One of the most emotional scores for any Disney film. Comedy, sadness, triumph...it's all here.

10. Sleeping Beauty (1959): Not an original score, but an excellent adaptation of Tchaikovsky's ballet music.

The Best:

1) Atlantis: The Lost Empire: Awesome music for an adventure movie. Would be great for a life-action version as well, apart from the slight mickey-mousing on occasion. There is some additional goodness on the complete bootleg, most notably "The Crew's Conscience".

2) Mulan: Just plain awesome in its complete form.

3) Dinosaur: The main themes can compete with John Williams' work as far as I'm concerned. Very good.

4) The Polar Express: Some really beautiful themes and good music. The extended promo release surely does help, even though it's still far from being complete.

5) The Incredibles: Just watched the film again yesterday and the film is great and so is the score and they accompany each other very well.

6) Shrek: Very fun. Escape From the Dragon is cool. Main themes are very good, beautiful music, funny music, it's got it all.

7) Ducktales: The Movie: I remember really liking this one as a kid. Nicely adventurous and egyptian-styled music in there.

Well, here's my top ten in no particular order:

1. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937): A nice score. More importantly, the first. Not including this would be like leaving out The Jazz Singer on a list of "most influential films in history."

2. Pinocchio (1940): One of the best film scores of all time, live action or animation.

3. The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1996): The best Menken score for Disney.

4. Beauty and the Beast (1991)

5. Bambi (1942): Since this film has so little dialogue (compared to other animated features), the music is even more important.

6. The Secret of NIMH (1982): Goldsmith's best score for an animated film.

7. The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993): One of Elfman's best.

8. The Lion King (1994)

9. Dumbo (1941): One of the most emotional scores for any Disney film. Comedy, sadness, triumph...it's all here.

10. Sleeping Beauty (1959): Not an original score, but an excellent adaptation of Tchaikovsky's ballet music.

Finally a list that makes sense.

One score I'd like to add, and I'm probably the only here who has heard it, is Akira Ifukube's score to Wanpaku - (The Little Prince And The Eight

Headed Dragon).

Oh and we can't forget about Elmer Bernstein's Heavy Metal and The Black Cauldron.

1) Hunchback of Notre Dame

2) The Land Before Time

3) Mulan

4) Secret of NIMH

5) Beauty and the Beast

The Lion King is Zimmer's best score bar none, but it's not top five material.

The Little Mermaid ( 1989)= Yes, you might laugh that a guy likes this score, but I consider it one of Menken's best works. Plus the score and songs helped put Disney back on the map ( they had considered closing the animation department prior to the time the movie came about )

Beauty and the Beast ( 1991 ): The work speaks for itself. = )

Aladdin ( 1992 ). Another Menken, of course. What can I say about this one? I've always liked the balance between middle eastern influences( Arabian Nights, One jump ahead ) and very big broadway esque tunes ( ie, Prince Ali )

Pocahontas (1995 )= Ah, Lovely score and songs. I still claim one of the best score tracks is " skirmish "

Hunchback( 1996): Best Menken score ever. I only regret that it didn't lead to him winning a ninth oscar.