500 Things I Know About John Williams

Quintus

397: He usually avoids reading the script before seeing the movie, so he doesn't visualize the picture differently than it turns out.

Doesn't he wait until there is some type of definitive cut of the film before he starts scoring?

395. He would be apalled at some of the discussions into weird parts of his personal life that take place here. :lol:

~Sturgis

No he wouldn't. You are a teenager, he is a man in his 70's. Very different perspectives.

Raymond Scott Quintette, with Williams on the drums

Not sure if this has been mentioned here before but there is a featurette on Looney Tunes volume 4 DVD set about Raymond Scotts music and JW himself is featured and talks very briefly about his father and the band. I just saw it for the first time a couple days ago, I got that set for Christmas.

390: At age 15, he determined he was going to become a concert pianist.

389: At age 19, he premiered his first original composition, a piano sonata.

388: During the 70's, he was the king of disaster scores (The Poseidon Adventure, Earthquake, The Towering Inferno)

389: At age 19, he premiered his first original composition, a piano sonata.

Correction: The sonata was never performed live, hence, never premiered. His first compositions to reach an audience were jazzy ones.

Not sure if this has been mentioned here before but there is a featurette on Looney Tunes volume 4 DVD set about Raymond Scotts music and JW himself is featured and talks very briefly about his father and the band. I just saw it for the first time a couple days ago, I got that set for Christmas.

Can you get me further information on that set?

385: In his book "Incomplete and Utter History of Classical Music" Stephen Fry writes "And of course there's John Williams and his soundtrack to the latest movie about hirsuit golfers, Hairy Putter III, which manages to keep a real, living and breathing classical score at the top of the popular music charts. God bless JW!"

384: In his autobiography "The Sound of Laughter" British comedian (and Dr Who monster) Peter Kay writes "Skidding through the sleet and snow thinking like I was Superman, humming the tune over and over while my dad bought some new steel toecap boots from the World-famous Army and Navy Store. Those feelings of excitement came back last night as I heard that powerful John Williams score and I found myself a blubbering mess."

Okay then.

~Sturgis

Sturgis, I don't mean to diminish your comment. I just think that a man of 75 is not going to be concerned about what is said and thought about him as a teenager would, or even someone of my age would.

He has proved himself time and time again, he doesnt need affirmation. What I know about him is that he would be a bit surprised that people show so much interest in what he does, because he is such a gracious man. He is humble, disciplined. He is everything that I wish to be, and am not.

Most men of his age would be thankful that someone payed any attention to him at all.

I know you weren't being diminishing. :devil:

I just remember some silly discussions like whether or not Williams could "get it up on a bumpy road" (not sure what thread that was in). He may or may not find it weird that other people discuss his bedroom prowress, I dunno.

~Sturgis

Can you get me further information on that set?

http://www.amazon.com/Looney-Tunes-Golden-...7478&sr=8-4

The featurette is called "Twilight in Tunes - The Music of Raymond Scott" and its on disc one of this set.

Here is the info from amazon:

Behind the Tunes: Twilight in Tunes - The Music of Raymond Scott

Stars Jerry Beck, Irwin Chusid, Tom Kenny, Mark Mothersbaugh, John Williams

Theatrical Release Date: November 14, 2006

Genres: Documentary, Short

Plot Outline A documentary about the use of Raymond Scott music in the Looney Tunes cartoon shorts.

Williams is barely featured, he talks briefly about the timelessness of the cartoons/music, mentions his father in the band. When I get a chance I can provide a transcription for you if you like.

Williams is barely featured, he talks briefly about the timelessness of the cartoons/music, mentions his father in the band. When I get a chance I can provide a transcription for you if you like.

Please do... and some screen captures too, if you can.

Damn, I'm not going to buy such a set just for a quick snipet... or will I?

I've never been successful at the screen captures, but I'll give it a try. As for buying the set, if you are a fan of Looney Tunes or animation in general then I highly recommend them. Lots of commentaries, isolated scores(!), featurettes and the cartoons themselves have never looked better.

I've never been successful at the screen captures, but I'll give it a try. As for buying the set, if you are a fan of Looney Tunes or animation in general then I highly recommend them. Lots of commentaries, isolated scores(!), featurettes and the cartoons themselves have never looked better.

But you know what would be the main reason for me to buy it, right? ;)

I really hope you're just speculating...

its things I know about Ray, not things I speculate about.

377. Like most bald men, John makes up for the lack of hair on his head by being hairy everywhere else.

373. He is, in fact, Satan, God of the Underworld, Prince of Darkness. Jerry Goldsmith sold his soul to the Maestro make it big in movies. He wrote "Ave Satani" as a tribute.

Due to a loophole in the contract, JW received the royalties for the piece much to Jerry's horror.

371. He once went under with three barrels in him.

369. He even went under with four, though Quint couldn't believe it, I heard him say, not with four he can't. But he did.

375. He has never been to Texas. Insulting.

John he did conduct the Dallas Symphony once that I know of. I'm not sure of the date but I believe it was in the 80's or late 70's.