James N. Howard's Signs is stolen from John Williams

JoeinAR

I listened to Signs the other day, very content with its supposed brilliance(which it still is thanks to John) then this morning as I get ready to go do some last minute grocery shopping I was listening to Lost in Space volume 2, and there was the basis for Signs right there in the 3rd season Lost in Space theme. Ugh.

Well if you must steal, then steal from the best

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:)

Merry Christmas Joe!!!!

I always thought it was Herrmann and Goldsmith that inspired Signs. I'll have to pull out my LIS album and see if I can pick it out.

I think calling it "stealing" is a little extreme.

If I was to go with that logic...

"John Williams' Hook is stolen from Georges Delerue."

... because in one form or another, his Agnes of God material appears in Williams' Hook score. ;)

;)

Merry Christmas Joe!!!!

I always thought it was Herrmann and Goldsmith that inspired Signs. I'll have to pull out my LIS album and see if I can pick it out.

Merry Christmas to you to Mark, and your family. Hope its lovely.

Stealing is perhaps harsh, as its borrows elements.

Actually I believe its just one of those things. I find Brian Tyler's terrific score for the movie Darkness Falls to be similar to Signs.

I listened to Signs the other day, very content with its supposed brilliance(which it still is thanks to John) then this morning as I get ready to go do some last minute grocery shopping I was listening to Lost in Space volume 2, and there was the basis for Signs right there in the 3rd season Lost in Space theme. Ugh.

Well if you must steal, then steal from the best

;) ;)

Brian Tyler? A terrific score? Impossible!

thats what most would say about Zimmer, except in Zimmer's case they would be right.

You obviously never heard Timeline, which is easily as good as the best Goldsmith scores.

You obviously never heard Timeline, which is easily as good as the best Goldsmith scores.

Have you been drinking tonite?

I agree with Mark. Tyler hasn't yet demonstrated the ability to write a Star Trek:The motion Picture, or PAPILLON or First Blood or Alien or Planet of the Apes or (ad infinitum).

He may get there one day though.

Actually, I've heard Tyler's Timeline, and it was worse than Jerry's Timeline by far. And Timeline wasn't even one of Jerry's best scores by far.

To be fair... it's nothing more than outlining a triad and adding in a "ti" ... Williams didn't invent that... and that JNH used it... only speaks to the versatility of its use...

It's like when people claim williams stole the half step used as the main theme in jaws and the opening to some concerto... but the emotions between the two are polar opposites

and had Timeline been better... lol... more like the novel maybe it would have had a better score ...something more inspired...

It's like when people claim williams stole the half step used as the main theme in jaws and the opening to some concerto...

It's in Dvořák's "From the New World" symphony. JW is really a hack ;)

Merry Christmas, Hanukah or holiday season to everyone. ;)

I would imagine his illness had alot to do with it. Spending all that time composing and scoring the film and then being asked to redo it was probably too much.

I still think it's by far the weakest of Goldsmith's Trek scores. The B theme (I don't recall if that's the Shinzon theme?) is hauntingly sad though, and perhaps that's not so surprising when you compare Goldsmith's condition to Shinzon's.

Sure Williams has borrowed some material (and vice versa), but so has every composer.

I was flipping channels this morning and landed on TV Land just in time to hear the remarkable similarities between the theme to Jurassic Park and the theme to Highway to Heaven. John Williams is a hack!

Everyone steals. Live with it.

not Alex North. I dare you to find anything in his canon that resembles anything that existed in the classical world before. HAH! That's why North is the best film composer ever!

Happy holidays! :)

I was flipping channels this morning and landed on TV Land just in time to hear the remarkable similarities between the theme to Jurassic Park and the theme to Highway to Heaven. John Williams is a hack!

Oooooooooooh yes , I heard that !!!

AVP2: R is terrific !!!

I liked it but it did quote James Horner's Wrath of Khan a time or 12.