What is the last JW soundtrack album that you listened straight through?

Josh500

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Far and Away. Kind of a waste.

It's decent enough, but I've yet to be blown away by it.

John- in the middle of an Indy marathon

I think its one of Williams' finest. One of my all time favorites

Far and Away. Kind of a waste.

It's decent enough, but I've yet to be blown away by it.

John- in the middle of an Indy marathon

I think its one of Williams' finest. One of my all time favorites

Yes, Indy is quite good. :lol:

Minority Report: a very good score that's even better in the movie. It's a shame more board members don't like this score.

You've got to be kidding. The real treasures of the score lie beyond the initial four tracks. I would definitely agree with TheGreatEye that Jurassic Park is among Williams' finest adventure scores.

Ted

It's certainly good...I just don't see it as finest outside of the two themes. Much of the underscore is rather digressive/objectless....basically you skip through it to get to the meaty part in each track.

Its counterpart "The Lost World" is his last finest adventure score, in my humble opinion of course.

Much of the underscore is rather digressive/objectless....basically you skip through it to get to the meaty part in each track.

Well as I said, for me at least T Rex Rescue And Finale is a thrill ride of orchestration from start to finish. No fast forwarding from me here. The exact same could be said for Hirewire Stunts. Even Remembering Petticoat Lane is a pleasant little lullaby. Oh and Welcome To Jurassic Park is possibly my favourite end credits sweep of any movie, with a wonderful (choirless) version of the main theme playing at full pelt. Very OTT and I love it for it.

I adore Jurassic Park's score, it's what got me into film music in the first place! Clearly JW did something very right with his take on the dinosaur picture.

I agree. Jurassic Park really did something to a lot of people, apparently (it was also an essential score that got me into film music and JW in particular).

That said, though, I haven't listened to any full Williams albums since Home Alone 2. Instead, I finished the 2-Disc Silverado this afternoon.

Bruce Broughton is awesome.

I finished the 2-Disc Silverado this afternoon.

Silverado is one of Broughton's best. My favourite by him though has got to be "The Boy Who Could Fly". The fact that the film is a childhood favourite of mine most likely contributes to that.

Listened to The Accidental Tourist.

I agree. Jurassic Park really did something to a lot of people, apparently (it was also an essential score that got me into film music and JW in particular).

That said, though, I haven't listened to any full Williams albums since Home Alone 2. Instead, I finished the 2-Disc Silverado this afternoon.

I agree with both statements by our esteemed moderator.

I usually only listen to entire scores when I just get them. Otherwise, I just listen to the best cues.

Ditto.

For JW, I can't remember the last one, most likely Monsignor.

For non-JW, Charlie Wilson's War yesterday.

It's certainly good...I just don't see it as finest outside of the two themes. Much of the underscore is rather digressive/objectless....basically you skip through it to get to the meaty part in each track.

It's got some of the very best action underscore, actually. There's much more to that score than just the main themes.

• 4 weeks later...

Monsignor and Saving Private Ryan. The former was quite good, but SPR really wasn't that great - the only thing I felt I really liked was Hymn to the Fallen, which is terrific.

AI- If you take away the two big P's (prequels and Potters) this is William's best 21st century score so far. Very emotional, beautiful, and thematically complex.

Far and Away- Enjoyable. The main theme is lovely but it gets a bit repetative as, unusually for Williams, it seems to be the only theme in the score (this score is still pretty new to me so correct me if I'm wrong there).

John- ;) The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker