The Happening

indy4

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been looking forward to this for some time. Especially excited to see what good ol' JNH will come up with. Also interested because apparently it's rated R.

indy4 - are you suggesting the tagline is pretty much the same as Signs? Could be a sequel, y'know, some biochemist creates something to kill the aliens and you got this world catastrophe.

Wow, it has the phrase "It's Happening" and the word "Signs" in the tagline, haha.

And that uppercase "T" stood out to me too, Henry. :lol:

Does anyone know any plot details or anything? Is this another alien movie? And do we know, or is it just assumed, that it has a JNH score?

~Sturgis, intrigued

A working title was The Green Effect. It's basically about a family on the run from a natural crisis that presents a large-scale threat to humanity.

JNH is attached the project, I don't see why he wouldn't be, and considering he's done all of M. Night's films it's safe to assume that he'll do them all from now on.

indy4 - are you suggesting the tagline is pretty much the same as Signs? Could be a sequel, y'know, some biochemist creates something to kill the aliens and you got this world catastrophe.

No - I think it's a homage to his two most popular films: The Sixth Sense (We've Sensed It) and Signs (We've Seen the Signs)

And I also noticed the whole "It's Happening" thing.

A working title was The Green Effect. It's basically about a family on the run from a natural crisis that presents a large-scale threat to humanity.

JNH is attached the project, I don't see why he wouldn't be, and considering he's done all of M. Night's films it's safe to assume that he'll do them all from now on.

Interesting, thanks. :lol:

And that tagline stuff makes sense, referencing his old films.

~Sturgis

I could murder that poster's typist. Uppercase "T" in "the"?

Amen.

I'm trying not to form an opinion until I see the movie. If there's one thing I've learned about Shyamalan flicks, it's that no advertisement for them will ever be quite accurate. I'd be lying, though, if I said I didn't have a bad feeling about this one. Here's hoping ol' Night can assuage my doubts.

Yeah I read that about Lady in the Water shortly before its release last summer and was disappointed in the Disney execs for not approving of Shyamalan's latest film.

Now I applaud them.

~Sturgis

I don't think any Shymalan film should ever be Disney (assuming he continues making movies like the ones he's already made).

I mean...Sixth Sense, The Village, Signs. . . . not excactly "your-true-power-is-in-your-heart-type" Disney movies.

Some are slightly focused on religion, they have some pretty freaky moments, and at least one of them isn't excactly "uplifting" like Disney movies are supposed to be.

Still, I haven't seen Lady yet (I really want to, despite its singular star), so I'm not one to judge how Disneyish it is. But as someone who has seen Sixth Sense (and loved it), I am thoroughly glad it was not a Disney film. It would have destroyed the film by making it too childish.

I don't know as though the films were going to be changed a lot because of being Disney-produced. I mean, the PG-13 Pirates movies are Disney after all. I think it was just that they decided not to financially support and release and market the film.

Saying I was glad they hadn't, I just meant that I didn't like Lady in the Water so I think they made a wise choice in ditching it.

~Sturgis, who likes the rest of Shyamalan's films, especially The Sixth Sense and Signs

But Pirates was never about faith or religion (Signs certainly was). The pop outs aren't really too concerning, as there were a few in other Disney/small kids' movies. The gore is, however. In Sixth, there's that whole girl vomiting, there's a very scary feel to all the movie, you always expect something to pop out (especially at night). Then the whole idea that

a mother would kill her child

that is very un-Disney. The Village ends extremely sadly,

Noah was the only totally innocent character, he really didn't know any better

. I was saddened at the end. And the films are lacking the comedy seen in so many Disney films. Signs has some very funny moments, but there wasn't really anything funny about Sixth or The Village. And all the films are lacking the light-heartedness of Disney films.

Overall, the Shamalyan films I've seen are dramas and horrors, I doubt that I'll ever see anything so serious with Disney's name stamped on it.

indy4 - who hasn't seen Unbreakable or Lady in the Water

Is he gonna shock me with his twist?

Is he gonna rock me?

Is he gonna shock me, rock me?

Is he gonna have some adorable asian chick who says, "bye Mister Heep"

Is he gonna do that?

Not sure about the movie, but I have high hopes for JNH's score for this.

And I still think the original title The Green Effect was way better than the completely hollywood-ish 'The Happening'. Stupid studios.

I don't think any Shymalan film should ever be Disney (assuming he continues making movies like the ones he's already made).

Actually, Disney has been involved in all his films before Lady in the Water.

They distributed all of them through Buena Vista, and Touchstone has been a producing partner since Unbreakable.

Is he gonna shock me with his twist?

Is he gonna rock me?

Is he gonna shock me, rock me?

Is he gonna have some adorable asian chick who says, "bye Mister Heep"

Is he gonna do that?

There's already been a Rod Serling.

Actually, Disney has been involved in all his films before Lady in the Water.

They distributed all fo them through Buena Vista, and Touchstone has been a producing partner since Unbreakable.

Beat me to it Marc. :P

That's why all of his films are a part of The Vista Series.

Wow, I didn't know that. How strange! Shymalan and Disney don't mix.

I think you're creating this stereotype of Disney. Just because it's Disney, doesn't mean it has to be soft, cute, and cuddly. Just look at Pirates, as someone said earlier.

I think that Disney movies should be rightly stereotyped, as their target audience is kids or (occasionally) teens. They don't make films of certain genres (e.g. drama or horror). You coudl argue that Shymalan's movies are for teens, but they are also for adults, and most movies that can captivate adults and teens are not for children (following me?).

Disney is supposed to be for children primarily. Yes, Pirates is more mature than the usual Disney movie, but it still has many classic Disney qualities to it.

In terms of mood, compare The Village to Pirates. It is an extremely sad movie, certainly not uplifting. While Pirates is arguably not a feel good film primarily, the whole thing is really like an Indy adventure in the sense that it never gets too serious or too heavy.

Some of the themes could become rather "controversial" if they had Disney's name stamped on them. The whole point of Signs is that there is someone watching over us, and you must always have faith. I'm not saying if I personally agree with that statement, I'm just saying that it is rather religious, especially when they tie that directly to

Gibson's decision to become a Priest again.

Disney would be criticized to no end if they tried producing a religion-based movie. They would be blamed for something stupid, like the movie was trying to "convert their children" or something.

Then there's the scariness that you find in a typical Shymalan movie, particularly The Sixth Sense. The pop-outs aren't as much of an issue, more the whole mood of the story.

Dead children ("C'mon, I'll show you where my dad puts his gun!") with huge slashes in the back of their heads

is like nothing I've ever seen in a Disney movie. Sure, guys get killed by the Kraken, and blood is certainly plentiful in Pirates, but it's not the same. The violence and gore in the Sixth Sense is much more real, as it could actually happen. But honestly, when's the last time you opened the newspaper and read about a giant sea monster destroying a boat? Also, some of the ideas are too mature or awful for a Disney movie. I doubt Disney would ever have a movie where a

mother poisioned her daughter.

I once watched Pirates 2 on a TV channel called AMC FAMILY. I saw a commercial for the Sixth Sense on ABC Family that had the caption, "Viewer Descresion Advised."

Then there's the scariness that you find in a typical Shymalan movie, particularly The Sixth Sense. The pop-outs aren't as much of an issue, more the whole mood of the story.

Dead children ("C'mon, I'll show you where my dad puts his gun!") with huge slashes in the back of their heads

is like nothing I've ever seen in a Disney movie. Sure, guys get killed by the Kraken, and blood is certainly plentiful in Pirates, but it's not the same. The violence and gore in the Sixth Sense is much more real, as it could actually happen. But honestly, when's the last time you opened the newspaper and read about a giant sea monster destroying a boat? Also, some of the ideas are too mature or awful for a Disney movie. I doubt Disney would ever have a movie where a

mother poisioned her daughter.

1st time I rented Sixth Sense, I was watching it in the middle of the night, and got spooked. I turned off the movie at the part where he set up a tent in his kitchen.

K.M. Who used the spacebar

Pulp Fiction is a Disney movie as far as I recall.

I don't think so. It's Miramax.

Which is owned by Disney, so indirectly Pulp Fiction is a Disney film. It was certainly made with Disney dollars.

If the parents don't want their kids seeing these types of movies, that's their decision and choice, Disney can produce whatever they want and probably don't really consider the content of a movie as a defining factor whether to produce. By content I mean the movie's affect on the audience it's not intended for.

Oh, I agree that parents should allow kids what movie they can and can't see, but others would hate and blame Disney if they made a movie like Shymalan.

And I have no way of knowing if Disney cares about the content of their movies, but based purley on their past filmography, I would say they aren't going to make a Shymalan-like film in the future.

I think we're talking about two different things. They may be funded by Disney, Disney may be picking up a percent of the money, but the name Walt Disney is not stamped on any of them. That's what I'm talking about.

They would be criticized for funding hte movies under the name Disney, not for funding them under a different name.

I really hope Night can make this with some much needed humility. Lady in the Water was practically ego personified. Read his book, he basically calls himself a genius.

Which is owned by Disney, so indirectly Pulp Fiction is a Disney film. It was certainly made with Disney dollars.

Correct. Although Miramax at the time was ran by the Weinstiens, I believe Disney had say over what was released.

I think we're talking about two different things. They may be funded by Disney, Disney may be picking up a percent of the money, but the name Walt Disney is not stamped on any of them. That's what I'm talking about.

They would be criticized for funding hte movies under the name Disney, not for funding them under a different name.

You might wanna do some research and check your facts.

Yes, Disney is a vast corporation with far-reaching arms (they own Miramax as was pointed out earlier, Touchstone Pictures, ABC, ESPN, etc.) Under these companies, they're obviously involved in creating amd distributing countless productions that don't fit the Disney Animation stereotype.

I believe it was one of the first films to be financed under the Disney owned Miramax banner. Disney bought them out in 1993, so they would have probably had money in other films such as Exotica and The Crow, which you wouldn't normallly associate with Bambi, Dumbo, and the like.

Tim

I'm always up for another Night movie. ;) Even when he doesn't strike gold, I enjoy the interesting thought-processes and creativity behind his work. And it is obvious JNH is inspired by their partnership, that alone ups the interest, definitely a very strong and simpatico director-composer relationship. I will go so far as to say - I honestly think JNH "gets" M. Night and interprets his intentions through his music, even when perhaps the audience doesn't quite follow. I did understand the sentiment behind LiTW, even though I didn't feel it was executed so well, and JNH's score was a big part of that.

So...yeah, this new project looks very cool. Hmm, but something about "The Happening" tagline niggles at me. I wonder if there's any chance...you could somehow tie together events in The Sixth Sense, and Signs.....as being symptoms of a "global crisis". Just wildly hypothesizing. :) But the idea of a larger story arc is intriguing. Because why were the aliens here in Signs anyway? (Remember, they gassed the planet, didn't they? Could that have had lasting effects?) I'm still feeling aliens from this new movie. (Is it just me or does that poster remind of WOTW?) I like the look of the poster, BTW. Obviously whatever "happens" looks pretty serious...

But they already have, all of Shyamalan's films are by Disney except for Lady In The Water. They dropped M. Night because they hated the movie.

I heard he is working on a new film now AVATAR. 150 Million budget