One of my compositions has just been released on CD!

pixie_twinkle

My piece "Don Quixote in Love" for soprano sax and string orchestra has just been released on Centaur Records (CRC2889/90). Greg Banaszak is the soloist, and the orchestra is the Beethoven Festival Orchestra under Piotr Borkowski. It was recorded in Krakow, Poland a couple of Summers ago, and the CD was released finally this week. It is on www.centaurrecords.com. The CD is called "Romances for Saxophone and Orchestra", and you can see a picture of it under the link "new releases".

I checked Amazon but it's not there yet. I was hoping they would sell it so you could click on an audio sample. Hopefully it'll appear on Amazon over the next few weeks.

This is my first piece widely released on CD, and needless to say I'm chuffed to bits and pleased as punch.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, that is AWESOME!!!!!! I wonder if it'll be availible on iTunes?

You're well on your way to becoming the next great composer of our time!

Hoorah for Pixie! :devil:

Congratulations on this one. If a sample of your work pops up, please do let us now :)

My words exactly! :devil: Really, congrats, and when there'll be a sample available, do bring it to our attention! :P

Funny you should say that. I've JUST made a website with a couple of very cheesy photos and a couple of PDF score extracts. So far there are no sound clips, but I'm going to fix that.

www.jamesleatherbarrow.com

Thanks for all the kind words. I won't be making a penny off sales of the CD, any profits will go to the soloist and producer who poured a lot of their own money into making the CD. Greg has said he plans to take some of the music from the CD on tour. I'm really excited about that! Mine is one of the easiest pieces on the CD to play so it should be a shoe-in :devil:

My piece "Don Quixote in Love" for soprano sax and string orchestra has just been released on Centaur Records (CRC2889/90). Greg Banaszak is the soloist, and the orchestra is the Beethoven Festival Orchestra under Piotr Borkowski. It was recorded in Krakow, Poland a couple of Summers ago, and the CD was released finally this week. It is on www.centaurrecords.com. The CD is called "Romances for Saxophone and Orchestra", and you can see a picture of it under the link "new releases".

I checked Amazon but it's not there yet. I was hoping they would sell it so you could click on an audio sample. Hopefully it'll appear on Amazon over the next few weeks.

This is my first piece widely released on CD, and needless to say I'm chuffed to bits and pleased as punch.

Well done !!

Congratulations, James!

I am very happy for you! And I look forward to hearing it hopefully soon; either here, or on disc.

And I enjoyed checking out the excerpts posted on your website very much!

So I take it you have a thing for Cervantes? And Strauss as well?

Very best,

Marcus

James, I'm so happy for you! :D It seems like ages since we first talked about this (2 yrs ago, I think!) and now it's finally here - big congrats. As a sax player myself, I very much look forward to hearing it!

Do you have the finished product in your hands yet? Displayed proudly on the mantle? ;)

James, I'm so happy for you! :D It seems like ages since we first talked about this (2 yrs ago, I think!) and now it's finally here - big congrats. As a sax player myself, I very much look forward to hearing it!

Do you have the finished product in your hands yet? Displayed proudly on the mantle? ;)

You were the first member of the board I told. I had known it was scheduled to be recorded for a few months, but I didn't want to tell anyone until it HAD been recorded in case it never happened and people thought I was making up stories! Once the recording had happened I knew it had to appear on CD. Recording sessions with an orchestra cost a small fortune, and there's no way they would waste valuable hours recording the piece only to cut it from the CD. Actually Greg told me they rehearsed the piece once, then recorded it twice, and cut the final version together from those two recordings! The entire session lasted less than an hour. The end result sounds beautiful, so I know these were very professional players.

I actually got a pre-release copy of the CD about 2 months ago, but the CD didn't become available until a few days ago. The sleeve notes for the booklet were written by Dr Myron Schwager who regularly writes sleeve notes for the Emerson Quartet. It's an honour to see his sleeve notes about my little piece! He clearly listened through the music several times to get a feel for its structure before writing his notes.

I think I'll get in trouble if I put the whole thing online (plus I don't know how). Really this CD is Greg Banaszak's baby and I don't think he'll want me putting the whole track online. However I really want to put an excerpt from it somewhere. I just checked i-tunes and neither of Greg's previous CDs are there so I doubt this one will be available on i-tunes either. I'm still hoping it'll appear on Amazon at some point with a sound clip. In the meantime I'm going to try and find out how I can make a clip and post it. Sorry I'm useless at this kind of thing :(

• 1 month later...

BUMP!

I'm sorry I haven't figured out how to put a clip of my piece on the internet, but I just found this:

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=7619438

It's a site selling the Greg Banaszak CD with my piece "Don Quixote in Love". There's an audio clip you can listen to. Unfortunately it's only 30 seconds long, and with the fade out at the beginning and end it doesn't leave much to hear. It will at least give you an idea of the style of the piece.

Sounds nice, James. Very pastoral. One issue, though: it's panned sharply to the left! I assume you didn't really have control over the mixing, though.

Sounds nice, James. Very pastoral. One issue, though: it's panned sharply to the left! I assume you didn't really have control over the mixing, though.

The CD itself sounds fine (at least the copy I got was fine!). I'm assuming it's just the clip that has the panning issues. Did I wonder if any of the other sound clips on that web page have the same problem.

Thanks for the comments everyone. :mrgreen:

Stewdog! Haven't seen you rounds these parts in a while. :blink:

Yeah, I take a peek every now and then. Having a 2 and a 4 year old, plus increasing responsibilities at work have taken a toll on my free time.

However, my 4 year old son absolutely loves listening to Star Wars and other soundtracks. It's so cute listening to him "sing" Luke's theme or the Imperial March. It's even cuter when my two year old little girl tries to do the same thing. He also likes to make up his own Star Wars music.

A composer! If you don't own a piano you might want to get one. Kids that age can be very creative.

Sure do. My wife is a piano teacher for children. She's going to start teaching him this summer.