Lalo Schifrin concert in London

Omen II

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, I'd love that, but I've just used my London "bonus" for another two or three years. :P We'll see who comes to London 2/3 yrs for now. Maybe John himself?! :)

Ah, I'd love that, but I've just used my London "bonus" for another two or three years. :lol: We'll see who comes to London 2/3 yrs for now. Maybe John himself?! :D

Just watched the highly entertaining Rush Hour 3 with his music. What composer! I wish I could go. He's the granddaddy of urban chase and fight music, and he never lets down orchestra fans while dong it.

"Don't concentwate on the baton, or you will miss all that heavenly glorweeeee" 8O

"Did I conduct 6 concerts or only five? To tell you the truth I've forgotten myself, in all this EXCITEMENT" :blink:

• 2 months later...

Wow, this was a fantastic concert! It was a mixture of highlights from Schifrin's 'Jazz Meets the Symphony' series - either original compositions by Schifrin or his superb arrangements of others' work - and his film music. The film selections played were a suite from Dirty Harry (consisting of the Magnum Force theme, the poignant end title theme from the original that reappears in the sequels and Scorpio's theme from the original), a suite from Enter the Dragon (if I remember correctly, consisting mostly of the Su-Lin music and the main title theme) and The Fox symphony. The theme from Mission Impossible was also played as one of the encores.

Lalo conducted some of the pieces from the piano and others from the podium. He looked a little unsteady on his feet at times when walking on stage (perhaps a hip problem or a touch of arthritis?) but as soon as he sat at the piano his playing was brilliant. He also addressed the audience between pieces with his witty anecdotes. Special mention must go to the three others soloists: Alex Acuna on drums, James Morrison on trumpet, trombone and flugelhorn and Pierre Boussaguet on bass (orchestral and electric). Their playing was simply genius. The second encore, 'Millennium Blues' from Schifrin's Esperanto album, was just incredible, with even the LSO musicians seemingly in awe of the virtuoso playing. At some points Morrison was playing the trombone with his left hand and the trumpet with his right! There wasn't a spare seat in the place and the standing ovation from almost the entire audience was well-deserved.

The full programme, for those that are interested, was as follows:

Chano (Schifrin)

Begin the Beguine (Cole Porter, arranged Schifrin)

Dirty Harry Suite (Schifrin)

La Nevada (Gil Evans, arr. Schifrin)

Bachianas Brasileiras (Heitor Villa-Lobos, arr. Schifrin)

Peanut Vendor (Moises Simon, arr. Schifrin)

INTERMISSION

The Fox (Schifrin)

El Salon Mexico (Copland, arr. Schifrin)

Around the Day in Eighty Worlds (Schifrin)

El Dorado (Schifrin)

Enter the Dragon (Schifrin)

Dizzy Gillespie Fireworks (arr. Schifrin)

ENCORES

Mission Impossible (Schifrin)

Millennium Blues (Schifrin)

Needless to say, the LSO was excellent as ever, with a largish brass section (4 trombones, 4 trumpets, 5 horns and tuba) and woodwind section (including three bassoons and three flutes, one doubling on piccolo). If you ever get the chance to see Lalo Schifrin play live, don't think twice about going. Was anyone else here lucky enough to attend?

EDIT: Read a better review of the concert here.

Very interesting! Was there lots of percussion stuff in Enter the Dragon? How long was the rendition of El Salón México (ah, I'd SO like to hear that, I really like that piece ...)?

Jim Ware, did you attend too? ;)

Very interesting! Was there lots of percussion stuff in Enter the Dragon? How long was the rendition of El Salón México (ah, I'd SO like to hear that, I really like that piece ...)?

Maglorfin,

I have no doubt that you, as a percussionist, would have very much enjoyed the suite from Enter the Dragon. If I remember correctly, there were three LSO percussionists (four if you include the timpanist, as I guess you should) as well as Alex Acuna on drums. Pierre Boussaguet switched to electric bass for this suite.

One of the percussionists was having a field day with the tom toms and bass drum while the other two were kept busy with xylophone, glock, guiro, cymbals, etc. I swear I could see the broad grins on their faces from several rows back in the circle! There were also two large gongs, each struck in turn to separate the Su Lin music that started the suite and the main title music that followed. There may have been some temple blocks in there too, but I couldn't quite see everything in the 'kitchen department' and was equally fascinated by the other sections.

You can hear Lalo's arrangement of El Salon Mexico on his 'Kaleidoscope' (Jazz Meets the Symphony 6) album, available on his own Aleph label. It was probably about six or seven minutes long.

Great, Omen II, cheers for a great description! :D I've heard Enter the Dragon live once before, when Schifrin came to Slovenia a few years ago, and it was great even then, not to mention how it must have been played by the great LSO. :) So I have at least some idea of the stuff happening back in the "kitchen department", as you so aptly put it. :D

Thanks also for the info concerning the EsM, I'll definitely check the album out.