Goldsmith versus Williams!

Goldsmith versus Williams!  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Which is best?

• Universal Logo
    • Dreamworks Logo

I really like Horner's old Universal logo. It captures what I feel Horner does best. It's very magical, and it conjures up memories of watching fun movies from it's era.

That being said, Goldsmith's logo is fantastic. But I refuse to vote for it over Dreamworks, because that is one extremely catchy little ditty. And who says bigger is better?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The real question is who here prefers Goldmith's logo to Newman's 20th Century Fox logo?

With CinemaScope Extension? ;)

The Fox fanfare is forever and always attached to Star Wars in my psyche. When I was little and I'd hear it on TV I'd get excited for SW only to have my excitement dashed to ashes. Such are the harsh realities of life. :lol:

how about neither, both are just blah

clearly 20th Century Fox's is better,

so is the 75 anniversary Universal

but the 40's Universal is my favorite of all of the Universal logos

I prefer Cheetos to Doritos, since we are now on the topic of things that have nothing to do with this poll.

I prefer Cheetos to Doritos, since we are now on the topic of things that have nothing to do with this poll.

at least mine was within the boundries unlike yours you little lying leprechaun

the way I see it, its like thread is like asking do you like green poop, or brown poop, as clearly our two maestro's the late dead one and the one who has lost his mojo are both scratching their butts here.

I prefer the Dreamworks one, it is the better composition. It's delicate, and accomodates more possibilities.

The Universal one is a little too thuggish and forceful, it hits one over the head right off the bat. It doesn't leave any spatial room for the sound of the film itself.

I prefer the Dreamworks logo music; it has a very "American" sound to me, and I think it captures the essence of the company very well.

I actually prefer James Horner's 75th anniversary music for the Universal logo to the present music by Goldsmith. Having said that, I do like the Goldsmith version - it's even on my iPod...

the way I see it, its like thread is like asking do you like green poop, or brown poop, as clearly our two maestro's the late dead one and the one who has lost his mojo are both scratching their butts here.

Like how you answered the poll question, you potty mouthed rube.

Williams' "Dreamworks", and easily: It is simply classier writing, more subtle, much better orchestrations, and the brass choral at the end is beautiful.

Goldsmith's "Universal" is OK, but it is very simplistic fare (which is fine, by all means), and the final b6-b7-1 progression is a bit on the cheap side...

Don't worry, he's just in the thick of a mid-life crisis at the moment. I don't think he's being too personal. Hopefully 2008 will be a better year for Joey.

Hey GreatEye, When I said "I'm not a fanboy in the slightest." I was just simply making you aware of that, I wasn't reacting harshly to what you had said to me. I'm not sure why you thought this to be the case. No hard feelings, ok? :huh:

I prefer the Dreamworks one, it is the better composition. It's delicate, and accomodates more possibilities.

The Universal one is a little too thuggish and forceful, it hits one over the head right off the bat. It doesn't leave any spatial room for the sound of the film itself.

We shouldn't forget that scoring a logo is in principle the same as scoring a film. The studio directs the composer to reflect the attribute that they want the music to convey. With that in mind the logos are what each respective studio directed as a musical representation of themselves.

As a piece of music the Universal one is clearly my favorite as it has a very heraldic quality befitting a studio who's logo is a globe of the earth and which goes by the name Universal.

The Dreamworks logo has a more reflective, child-like wonder to it which fits the visual very well. It is, after all, about dreaming the possibilities.

But on a Dreamworks DVD I find myself scanning past the logo whereas on Universal DVDs one I turn up the volume and let it rip. In fact, I feel cheated when they substitute the Goldsmith music for other music or sound effects as they often do.

The Universal Logo.

My vote would obviously go to the Goldsmith piece.

Of course you know the Universal logo sequence hasn't been composed originally by Goldsmith and therefore cannot be polled in a fair Goldsmith vs. Williams poll.

I even believe John Williams has reworked the sequence into the current and the generally known version, although I am not sure about that.

McHugh composed the original motiv, which has been arranged by James Horner, extended by Goldsmith (and, arguably, re-orchestrated by Williams).

If you just ask which logo sequence is the best regardless to who composed or arranged it, I have to admit I prefer Universal slightly over Dreamworks.

The Universal Logo.

Of course you know the Universal logo sequence hasn't been composed originally by Goldsmith and therefore cannot be polled in a fair Goldsmith vs. Williams poll.

I even believe John Williams has reworked the sequence into the current and the generally known version, although I am not sure about that.

McHugh composed the original motiv, which has been arranged by James Horner, extended by Goldsmith (and, arguably, re-orchestrated by Williams).

If you just ask which logo sequence is the best regardless to who composed or arranged it, I have to admit I prefer Universal slightly over Dreamworks.

What?!! Can you provide sources for any of this because I'm sure that both of these are completely original compositions. Goldsmith wrote the Universal fanfare as it is now. Williams has never, to my knowledge had anything to do with it. On ET's 20th Anniversary it was rearranged to include the ET theme on the back end but that was used that year only. As it sounds today it is 100% Jerry Goldsmith. The Jimmy Mchugh fanfare sounds more like Superman than anything either Horner or Goldsmith wrote. You can hear it at the end of this reel.

The history of the Universal logo fanfare according to Sountrack.net http://www.soundtrack.net/logomusic/

Jimmy McHugh - (1936)

Jimmy McHugh - (1936) : (w/ extension)

James Horner - (1990)

Jerry Goldsmith - (1997)

John Williams - (2002) : Adaptation of Goldsmith version with theme from E.T.

This is how the current fanfare is listed with BMI.

Title: UNIVERSAL LOGO

Writer(s): GOLDSMITH, JERRALD ("JERRY") (BMI)

Publisher(s): SONGS OF UNIVERSAL, INC. (BMI)

c/o UNIVERSAL STUDIOS,

of LOS ANGELES, CA

[since the 1997 Universal Studios film

"The Lost World: Jurassic Park"(??)]

To my knowledge, the only ties Williams has to the Goldsmith fanfare is the E.T. bit that was stuck at the end for a while (do they still use that)? It sounds horrible, and I never even thought that Williams might actually have done that himself.

Hm. I did not know that.

I thought it even had some text in it that announced it was for the 20th Anniversary of E.T. and a bicycle flying over the globe? Or did they use a diffent animation for other films?

I'm going with Goldsmith on this one, because it's more memorable, and works better as a logo attachment. It's about as in your face as you can get without being over the top. Williams piece is more interesting, musically, however.

Don't worry, he's just in the thick of a mid-life crisis at the moment. I don't think he's being too personal. Hopefully 2008 will be a better year for Joey.

what would a fool like you know mattie?

unlike you, I know good music, and neither of these is particularly great. as I pointed out there are two better Universal themes, and we all know that the 20th century fox piece is head and tails above these.

and don't be so f***ing stupid, I know its hard, but someday you'll actually be old school, that is if you're fortunate, and the rest of us are unfortunate for you to live that long.

There's nothing like seeing and hearing the 20th Century Fox logo in a cinema. The roar of the MGM lion is second to me. The old Warner Bros. logo was pretty snazzy too, and even the new music is better than Universal and Dreamworks.

How did The Joe manage to say \effing? I have been saying that for weeks now, and it has been censored.

I mean, I made a thread about swearing in movies, but I didn't want such a draconian rule made here.

There's nothing like seeing and hearing the 20th Century Fox logo in a cinema. The roar of the MGM lion is second to me. The old Warner Bros. logo was pretty snazzy too, and even the new music is better than Universal and Dreamworks.

That's great and all but the question was only between the two in the poll.

what would a fool like you know mattie?

unlike you, I know good music, and neither of these is particularly great. as I pointed out there are two better Universal themes, and we all know that the 20th century fox piece is head and tails above these.

and don't be so f***ing stupid, I know its hard, but someday you'll actually be old school, that is if you're fortunate, and the rest of us are unfortunate for you to live that long.

Heh heh. What's the matter? You in a bad mood today or something? Your "old school" comment was the best though, freakin hilarious! Absolute classic! :cool:

The Universal Logo.

What?!! Can you provide sources for any of this because I'm sure that both of these are completely original compositions. Goldsmith wrote the Universal fanfare as it is now. Williams has never, to my knowledge had anything to do with it. On ET's 20th Anniversary it was rearranged to include the ET theme on the back end but that was used that year only. As it sounds today it is 100% Jerry Goldsmith. The Jimmy Mchugh fanfare sounds more like Superman than anything either Horner or Goldsmith wrote. You can hear it at the end of this reel.

The history of the Universal logo fanfare according to Sountrack.net http://www.soundtrack.net/logomusic/

Jimmy McHugh - (1936)

Jimmy McHugh - (1936) : (w/ extension)

James Horner - (1990)

Jerry Goldsmith - (1997)

John Williams - (2002) : Adaptation of Goldsmith version with theme from E.T.

This is how the current fanfare is listed with BMI.

Title: UNIVERSAL LOGO

Writer(s): GOLDSMITH, JERRALD ("JERRY") (BMI)

Publisher(s): SONGS OF UNIVERSAL, INC. (BMI)

c/o UNIVERSAL STUDIOS,

of LOS ANGELES, CA

[since the 1997 Universal Studios film

"The Lost World: Jurassic Park"(??)]

Ok I thought MchHugh did the original version of the current logo but is different indeed. What did Horner do then?