Marc Papeghin's French Horn Tributes!

Marc

The French Horn Tribute to John Williams is a project I've been working on over the last 3 years.
As of now it is composed of 5 parts and covers 1 hour of JW material.
It contains themes and cues from 37 different JW scores, some very famous as well as some very obscure ones.
I've arranged it for 12 horns which I recorded myself, multi-tracking and then mixing the whole thing.

Part I and V are available as video, Part II, III and IV as audio only

To hear/watch it and see complete tracklists => http://www.marcpapeg...om/johnwilliams

I've also created several other tributes.

Amongst them are a 2-part Tribute to Dream Theater, a Tribute to Nobuo Uematsu's Final Fantasy VII , a TV show theme medley called Previously On and a Tribute to Film Music

How absolutely marevlous and delightful!

Bravo!

Wonderfully solved, texturally, and very cleverly and attractively handled in terms of transitions and juxtapositions of ideas.

Great playing; I was especially impressed by your rendition of "The Knight Bus", and the "trepak" from "Home Alone".

Thank you SO much for sharing!!

Great compilation. Fantastic playing.

Could you name all the pieces you played? At times it was a little hard to keep up.

That was absolutely phenominal! I can't believe the work it must have taken to arrange that and plan out all the parts, not to mention playing, recording, and editing them together. Wow!

~Sturgis - amazed :lol:

Thanks guys !

Glad you enjoyed it ! :lol:

joey225> I'm gonna disappoint you..I don't have anything written down as I kind of created it while recording,segment by segment.

Also for some parts I didn't have any sheet music to base me on and had to do it by ear, listening carefully to every instrument,memorizing and directly recording right after...Sorry !

red_rabbit> here's the full list

Jurassic Park (+ Geisha, Potter, E.T. )

The Terminal - Viktor's Tale

Empire of the sun

E.T. ( French horn solo from The Departure )

Amistad

SWII Across the Stars

Images little snippet from In Search of Unicorns

SW III Battle of the heroes

HP Azkaban Buckbeak's Flight

E.T.

Home Alone Holiday Flight

HP Azkaban The Knight Bus

Catch me if you can

The Terminal love theme

Home Alone Somewhere in my Memory

A.I. For Always

Superman

War of the Worlds Probing the Basement ( +Indy Temple of doom )

Raiders of the Lost Ark Desert Chase

SW IV The Throne Room

and finally, E.T. The Departure

Any chance someone could email this to me? I am back at college now, where megaupload is blocked.

Ditto, I'm in Malaysia, and megaupload has an extremely limited number of slots. There used to be a workaround involving User Agents with Mozilla but now it doesnt work anymore. :lol:

I just heard it--wow. That was AMAZING! The arrangement was perfect, with all the different harmonies and rhythms. The performers played it flawlessly, all the dynamics were noted, all the melodies were heard, and everything sounded ggreat. I loved your "The Terminal" selections, as well as BotH, E.T.,

Desert Chase, Home Alone, Harry Potter. . . .

That was a truly brilliant piece of work, I can't even imagine how much effort must have gone into something as gigantic as that! Well done!

That is just whacky, weird and quite glorious. Except for the juxtaposing the themes at the start, no, I don't like that bit, it's sacrilege. :lol:

Interesting choice of material too, some obvious and some quite obscure.

The performance is really good too, but why didn't you put a bit more forceful dynamic in it, near the end? Make the Horn snarl and blare a bit more? It's a very nice, round and hypnotic sound, but I would like like to hear some more dynamic range.

:lol:

WOW. That was amazing, Marc. As a horn player, I'm flabbergasted at the quality of your performance, and the arrangement is wonderfully clever. Well done!

Nice work! That's why I like this place. So many talented and creative people here, yet there are so many unused themes from Williams. There is work to do :lol:

SEND THIS TO WILLIAMS NOW.

EDIT: Did you actually use any of the scores? Some of them are mindblowingly accurate suggesting you did, but there are like 5 places I counted whose subtle chordal or melodic "errors" suggest you transcribed at least some of it yourself... which is amazing if you did at all!! :lol:

(For example, most people don't hear the difference in the E.T. between 9:25-9:30 and 9:30-9:35, i.e., the second time, the last note is the supertonic degree of the scale (a low RE,) rather than the dominant (SO,), but that's just nitpicking to prove how everything else was strikingly PERFECT!!! Well done!)

Thanks to you all !

Indeed it wasn't easy..It took me almost 2 months, working on it everytime I could ( when my neighbour wouldn't give me a call saying the "saxophone" was too loud.... ;) :cool:)

Bowie> I in fact used all kinds of sheet musics and scores I could find..or nothing !

Sometimes I just had a vague piano transcription which would just give me the melody and the bass.

I recorded that first and then filled the other parts but just by ear, kind of improvising in fact ( this could explain some harmonic inaccuracies I guess ;)

For some of them ( Jurassic Park, E.T., Battle of the heroes, The Knight Bus) I had complete orchestral scores so that was alot easier ! (Only tricky thing was that I had to transpose almost everything )

And for some such as Empire of the sun, the love theme from The Terminal , Buckbeak's Flight or Desert Chase I literally had nothing so I sat and listened numerous times to transcribe them

Thanks to you all !

Indeed it wasn't easy..It took me almost 2 months, working on it everytime I could ( when my neighbour wouldn't give me a call saying the "saxophone" was too loud.... ;) :cool:)

Bowie> I in fact used all kinds of sheet musics and scores I could find..or nothing !

Sometimes I just had a vague piano transcription which would just give me the melody and the bass.

I recorded that first and then filled the other parts but just by ear, kind of improvising in fact ( this could explain some harmonic inaccuracies I guess ;)

For some of them ( Jurassic Park, E.T., Battle of the heroes, The Knight Bus) I had complete orchestral scores so that was alot easier ! (Only tricky thing was that I had to transpose almost everything )

And for some such as Empire of the sun, the love theme from The Terminal , Buckbeak's Flight or Desert Chase I literally had nothing so I sat and listened numerous times to transcribe them

Fantastic work ethic; fantastic work.

Bravo ! Great Mix !

Maybe you can add it here ?

Thanks ! Didn't know that website !

Maglorfin> nice avatar you got here :D

SFAM or the album that changed my life 8 years ago !

Fantastic performance! This is great. You should move to LA and perform on scores and stuff. I wonder if you thought about panning several of the tracks more widely left and right so we could distinguish the lines a little more, and so it would sound less mono. Great work though.

Me = impressed.

I had to register for this. Awesome arrangement and playing!!! I'd love if we could get in touch, as it seems we're interested in - at least - on similar thing.

Bravo ! Great Mix !

Maybe you can add it here ?

Thanks ! Didn't know that website !

Maglorfin> nice avatar you got here :o

SFAM or the album that changed my life 8 years ago !

Terrific album. Images and Words is still my favorite though.

Morlock- listening to the clip for the first time and loving it

Thanks again !

I wonder if you thought about panning several of the tracks more widely left and right so we could distinguish the lines a little more, and so it would sound less mono.

Chris.Tilton> Funny you should mention this cause I thought about doing it for a few parts, specially the very beginning ( putting the Geisha theme to the left and the Hedwig's Theme to the right for example ) Don't remember why I didn't end up doing it..but I'll keep it in mind for a next one :o

• 3 weeks later...

For those who couldn't get megaupload to work, a direct link's now available here thanks to Markus Hable !

(btw, a new medley has been in the works for a few weeks now:) )

• 4 weeks later...
It's basically a medley of some of my favorite JW themes or cues arranged for 12 French horns ( thus making it a twelvetet :thumbup:

Wouldn't that be a dodectet?

I'm downloading it now and will certainly listen to it at some point today. There are so many creative people here at JWFan. Steef's movies, AI's compositions, Miguel's artwork etc. etc. JWFan has to be one of the most intelligent and creative internet communities out there!

It's basically a medley of some of my favorite JW themes or cues arranged for 12 French horns ( thus making it a twelvetet :thumbup:

Wouldn't that be a dodectet?

Indeed, you are correct.

I am downloading, currently. I adored Part I. Very excited for Part II

Ok, I loved it. I couldn't resist listening to it straight away. Is there a part 2? I just saw a single 10-minute download. Is that the whole piece?

Very well put-together. I have a couple of questions. Right at the beginning, what's the second theme we hear (immediately after the first fragment from Jurassic Park)? I didn't recognise that one.

Second, what is that syncopated theme right before the Throne Room? I know it so well, but can't place it.

Awesome again!

Favorites were Arlington, Cantina Band, and The Forest Battle. And ending it quietly with Close Encounters actually took me off guard a bit, great job!

Very well put-together. I have a couple of questions. Right at the beginning, what's the second theme we hear (immediately after the first fragment from Jurassic Park)? I didn't recognise that one.

Maybe I'm not understanding(because this seems so obvious if i'm right), but that's ET, the government theme, I guess.

Ok, I loved it. I couldn't resist listening to it straight away. Is there a part 2? I just saw a single 10-minute download. Is that the whole piece?

Second, what is that syncopated theme right before the Throne Room? I know it so well, but can't place it.

Part II is on top of this page ( and I just edited the very first post )

The second theme is Sayuri's Theme from memoirs of a Geisha.

And right before the Throne Room is Raiders' Desert Chase ! :lol:

You can get the full list there

Absolutely amazing once again, Marc. I really love how you included so many incidental - but great - parts of scores along with the more well-known themes and setpieces, like that great determined bit from Jurassic Park as they enter the Visitors Center. Wonderful playing and arranging!

Another superb arrangement. I like the inclusion of some other scores in part 2 (Hook, Home Alone, Close Encounters). I sincerely hope you continue with this.

I'm listening to it right now, and I'm really LOVING it! I'm at the "To Cairo" part, which is fantastic! Thank you so much for composing/playing these, they really sound great!!!

indy4 - hoping for a part 3