Marc Papeghin's French Horn Tributes!

Marc

Ok, I loved it. I couldn't resist listening to it straight away. Is there a part 2? I just saw a single 10-minute download. Is that the whole piece?

Very well put-together. I have a couple of questions. Right at the beginning, what's the second theme we hear (immediately after the first fragment from Jurassic Park)? I didn't recognise that one.

Second, what is that syncopated theme right before the Throne Room? I know it so well, but can't place it.

Part II is on top of this page ( and I just edited the very first post )

The second theme is Sayuri's Theme from memoirs of a Geisha.

And right before the Throne Room is Raiders' Desert Chase ! ;)

You can get the full list there

Thank you! I've only listened to Memoirs of a Geisha once so I'm not surprised the first fragment came from that (I wasn't impressed with the score at all to be honest). Desert Chase, though! Damn! I knew it so well, I just couldn't place it. Now I feel embarassed. Great scene, great music, masterfully woven into your suite. Brilliant!

I'm downloading part two as I type.

I have to agree with Lord M. I've just listened to part 2 and I am absolutely stunned. This is an incredible achievement. Your ability to work these fragments together so smoothly and beautifully is pure genius. I hope you don't mind my asking, but how old are you? If you are in your 20s I will be very upset! This arrangement has all the hallmarks of a seasoned professional. Your choices of music to include are often very subtle, and as a result the whole piece is always a delight, never once straying into the banal and obvious (the omission of a grand statement of the Raiders march, Star Wars theme, Jaws theme, Superman, etc etc. Although these scores are represented you have chosen less-obvious themes, or less-showy thematic statements). This is a very lovely piece, and not a ham-fisted "greatest hits" compilation. My sincere congratulations to you.

Has it been performed yet?

Hi and thanks !

I'm 23, been playing the horn since I was 8.

Part 1 hasn't been performed cause I still need to transcribe it down entirely..!

Part 2 turned out to be trickier to put together. Like the first one I wanted the whole thing to feel seamless and had to work on the transitions a lot ! But it's fun to do, I like it ;) And yes, my goal really isn't to make a medley of obvious JW themes, I prefer digging out more obscure cues..;)

So did you guys recognize everything ?

Here's what I recognized:

. Finale (The Last Crusade)

. The Menu (Jaws 2)

. Journey to the Island (Jurassic Park)

. E.T. (Keys' theme)

. CE3K

. Arlington (JFK)

. Moaning Myrtle (Chamber of Secrets)

. Burglars' theme (Home Alone)

. Flying Car (Chamber of Secrets)

. To Cairo (Raiders of the Lost Ark)

. Lost Boys Chase (Hook)

. Dracula

. In the Idol's Temple (Raiders)

. The Motorcade (JFK)

. T-Rex Rescue (Jurassic Park)

. Harry's Patronus (POA)

. Christmas Star (Home Alone 2)

. Love Theme (Superman)

. Aunt Marge's Waltz (POA)

. E.T.'s Halloween (E.T.)

. Holy Grail's Theme (Last Crusade)

. Han Solo and the Princess (Empire)

. Flag Parade (TPM)

. Cantina Band (Star Wars)

. The Forest Battle (ROTJ)

. CE3K

I love how you played those rapid-fire triplets from Raiders' "Idol's Temple"!

Well..you got them all right ! ;)

I only have to add Dracula - Dracula's Death

( Man those Idols' Temple rapid-fire triplets were tough ! )

If anything I think the second part is actually an improvement on the first. Although many of the themes are slightly more obscure I think the transitions are fantastic, and the whole thing feels like composition in its own right. The ending where The Forest Battle gives way to the final measures from CE3K is inspired.

Speaking of CE3K, your arrangement of the opening measures from that score is phenomenal. I don't know if you intended it, or if it was a happy accident, but the overtones you created by playing the chord cluster on the horn (surely the instrument which produces the clearest overtones!) was incredibly striking. It almost doesn't sound like horns at all. One can hear a string section there in the overtones! Amazing effect.

If anything I think the second part is actually an improvement on the first. Although many of the themes are slightly more obscure I think the transitions are fantastic, and the whole thing feels like composition in its own right. The ending where The Forest Battle gives way to the final measures from CE3K is inspired.

I agree

This means keep on making new ones

Can you record the completeTemple of Doom score in horn?

and Celebration fanfare

You mean the entire score? :blink:

That would be extremely hard to do.

Complete Temple of Doom wow, that should be a fairly easy task :blink:;)

But hey I was thinking maybe for Part III, if part III there is , maybe you guys could each choose one or two particular cues you like and I could then dig into the list to build the new medley..I'm not sure how that would turn out but hey, could be cool

Great idea! I really love your two finished medleys, amazing playing and skillfully put together! :blink:

Journey to the island could be good (beginning), Making the List from SChindler's List (that uplifting horn passage in the middle), ... have to think for more suggestions, you already covered a lot of ground ;)

Keep up the good work,

Chris

Something else from Hook, maybe the "Prologue". The opening of that piece is perfect for french horns.

oo oo oo....my vote goes for You are the Pan.

Obviously.

And to really get your chops going, the Opening fanfare to The Cowboys. <_<

And yet another suggestion: "The Big Jolt!" from Jaws 2, I think it could really be fun from 3:47 - 4:23.

Thanks again for doing this, these are a delight to listen to, I hope they are as much fun to make!

Some great suggestions here :blink:

In fact I had already thought of some of those for part II, like the Cowboys opening which screams for a horn version ;)

Keep'em coming !

And yes they're really fun to make but sooo time-consuming !

• 1 month later...

Not really JW related but ..here's a arrangement of Symphony X's Odyssey I had made and recorded last year.

I know there's a few prog metal fans around here who must be familiar with that piece !

Same deal, 12 horns :lol:

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?9vjzxydzwyp

( Oh and Part III's in the making ! )

:o Man, that's outstanding! I'm a big Symphony X fan and this arrangement is great! ;) Kudos to all players (or to you if you recorded all the parts yourself)!

Have you already considered treating e. g. The Accolade or The Divine Wings of Tragedy (the song) in the same way? ;):D

Thanks !

That one wasn't easy to pull off, specially the fast violin and M. Romeo parts ;) (weren't really thought of to be played by horns :D )

I don't have any plans for other SX stuff right now, but I do have a big DT medley that's been in the works for like a year now..!

No idea when it'll be done really..I'll keep you informed !

That one wasn't easy to pull off, specially the fast violin and M. Romeo parts :o (weren't really thought of to be played by horns ;) )

Definitely. :D

I don't have any plans for other SX stuff right now, but I do have a big DT medley that's been in the works for like a year now..!

No idea when it'll be done really..I'll keep you informed !

Wow! Please do, by all means! ;) ;)

• 3 months later...

Kudos, Marc! So you would listen to the selections, then play and record... most without sheet music !?! Very well-done, indeed. You should play professionally. Or: have you ever considered recording engineering. It's something I'm interested in, myself.

Having wanted to do something like this with percussion, you've inspired me to move ahead with this project immediately. I'm going to start with the 20th Century Fox Fanfare and then do the Sail Barge Assault from Return of the Jedi. Wish me luck!

Well..a good part of it is done with sheet music I won't lie

If not I do it completely by ear when it's not that complex( like Angela's ashes or Addam's Summation)

Otherwise I transcribe ( Indy II's Slalom on Mt. Humol )

But for most of it I have scores or sketches which me make it a little bit easier :blink:

I'm kind of a semi-professional in fact, orchestras call me when they need a horn.

But playing, arranging, recording or experimenting at home is much more my thing I guess !

Glad my work motivated you !

If anyone's interested I've uploaded some of my other horn tributes on myspace, the crazy progressive metal/rock kind

that way => http://www.myspace.com/marcpapeghin

And thanks to you guys !

Marc!

I put parts 1-3 on CD and listened right through on my drive to work this morning. This really is a highly inventive piece you're constructing! It's so much fun! It combines amazing musicianship (you have an INCREDIBLE ear for transitions and pacing), wonderful playing, with a huge sense of fun for the geeky listener to try and figure out the various pieces you are including.

Parts 1 and 2, brilliant (as I've said previously in this thread).

Part 3:

First let me say how glad I am to hear "The River"! It's one of my favourite Williams scores precisely because of "The Ancestral Home" which I'm thrilled you included in part 3! The River seems to be not too popular around JWFan and I don't know why. But thanks for including it! Also, it's about time Schindler's List crept into your magnum opus. And what a great suite of themes too! Was that a hint of the Crystal Skull theme I heard there? Only about 10 seconds worth, but enough to make me smile. The ending of part 3 is hilarious! It's Superman all the way with various other themes trying unsuccessfully to take over. Very funny idea, and brilliantly pulled off, Sir! I especially liked The Cowboys butting in.

I'll probably have more to add, but those were my first impressions.

P.S. The more I listen to the end of Part 2 the more I think it's a stroke of genius to have the Forest Battle disolve into the ending of Close Encounters. It makes my heart flutter every time.

Somehow I missed Part 2 :blink: Is it still available for download?

Part 3 is really amazing, a drama-anthology (save the final part), where most 90's scores are present. Really well arranged and performed, nice job again, Marc!!!

In this order, the scores would be the following (if I'm not wrong):

-Angela's Ashes

-Amistad

-Saving Private Ryan

-The River

-Temple of Doom

-Far & Away

-Stepmom

-Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

-Seven Years in Tibet

-Schinidler's List

-Accidental Tourist

-Catch Me if You Can

-Superman

-Last Crusade

-The Cowboys

-Superman

-Superman

Thx to you all for the kind comments !

Scissorhands> well done for the playlist, nothing to add :D

Part II's still available, I edited my first post with all the links.

As for a Part IV...i still don't know about it.. III wasn't easy to pull off !

Originally I wanted to do a quiet piece, kind of an Adagio, only slow themes. But the pace wasn't good and it didn't work in the end so I decided to revamp the whole thing. I kept the 2 first minutes up until The River and completely changed it.

As a result there were some cuts and I have 3 or 4 "outtakes" (amongst them some Hook, Minority Report, munich stuff :P )

which could very well be included in a part IV, but we'll see about that :blink:

Truly excellent work Marc! Your playing is wonderful and I really appreciate your enormous efforts to piece this together :) And I am also so happy that you have shared this with us fellow fans! Many thanks! Keep up the excellent work. :thumbup:

I'm surprised more people haven't commented on these pieces (especially part 3). I wonder if people need to be guided towards them more. These are pieces that I think everyone here at JWFan will enjoy if they know about them. I honestly think Marc is creating something of almost professional quality and we should be proud he's posting it here at JWFan. Mr B., is it worth considering putting Marc's horn arrangements up as stickies?

I dont comment much here, but I will say this is great stuff. Thanks alot Marc, superb arrangements and playing on all three parts of these horn tributes. A great listen every time I push play :)