Marc Papeghin's French Horn Tributes!

Marc

I'm surprised more people haven't commented on these pieces (especially part 3). I wonder if people need to be guided towards them more. These are pieces that I think everyone here at JWFan will enjoy if they know about them. I honestly think Marc is creating something of almost professional quality and we should be proud he's posting it here at JWFan. Mr B., is it worth considering putting Marc's horn arrangements up as stickies?

I agree, I really really enjoy listening to these brilliantly written pieces. I cannot fathom how difficult it would be to write such complex Williams pieces in a way that will work with an entirely different ensemble. Let alone playing the music as flawlessly as Marc has, all 12(!) parts, especially with all the tempo changes and ritardandoes (sp?). Bravo!

The tone quality and articulation is perfectly performed, and some of those fast notes seem impossible to play ("Far and Away" and "In The Idol's Temple" especially).

I wonder if JW would hear them one day..I did these pieces for the challenge and fun it is to browse through all his scores and construct something new, but must of all to pay tribute to this gigantic, tremendous work he's done

I don't know if it's possible to get to him in any way but I remember seeing an address, his agents or something..maybe I could burn a cd with all 3 parts on it and send it there, who knows..!

John Williams

c/o The Gorfaine/Schwartz Agency, Inc.

4111 W ALAMEDA AVE STE 509

BURBANK CA 91505-4140

I wrote to them once and almost a year later a got a signed photo and a Q&A.

Took me quite some time to finish it but here it is...JW Horn Tribute - Part III !

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Y3RB7FPC

Sorry, I seem to be too stupid for this, but what must I do (after clicking on the link) to download? :P;)

Enter the letters, click download..and now DON'T click the download link. If you pan down a bit there are two butons that read "Premium Download" and one shows a countdown.. wait until the 45secs have counted down.because then this button will read ´"Free Download" ... click on that

• 5 months later...

So finally here is Part IV..and I must say I'm rather proud of this one.

It's 12min long and composed for the most part of Indy stuff, a good third of it only being Temple of Doom cues ;)

It's also one of the most challenging I've done..and while making it i'd often tell myself things like "dude you're just insane " ;)

I had hard times for certain parts but it all turned out great I think !

Also, this time I didn't do it completely alone but had my sister as a "guest-star", you'll know when !

Anyway there it is => http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?0jjjnomywgl

Other link, in case.. => http://dl.free.fr/pazEDuIPh/HornTributetoJ...arcPapeghin.mp3

(Oh and...sounds better with headphones ;) )

Damn what a fantastic opening!!!!!!!!!

;)

could you maybe give the link to three other parts.. I can't find them anymore, are they still online?

EDIT: yeah government agents, Alarm! is just fantastic!!

Stealing the Stones - shivers down my spine

Excellent! I got really excited when anything goes started and thought that she'd sing the whole thing. Still a great little detail what she did at the end though. Good job!

Outstanding!

You do realize, of course, that now you have to put one of these out quite frequently as many of us here are addicted to your arrangements and performances.

Seriously though, keep it up.

I finished listening to this. It was excellent! I am definitely making a compilation CD of this and sending it around.

BTW, the link for Part I you post earlier in this thread goes to Tribute to Neal Morse.

Here is the first link you post which goes to it - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=0X1RC1GF

Excellent! I got really excited when anything goes started and thought that she'd sing the whole thing. Still a great little detail what she did at the end though. Good job!

I wanted to at first..but she's not exactly an awesome singer, and she had to do 10 takes to have those two words exactly like I wanted ( I'm picky, too picky :thumbup: ) so the whole thing ?...nay :lurk:

BTW, the link for Part I you post earlier in this thread goes to Tribute to Neal Morse.

Thanks for that, didn't notice it...now fixed !

Anyway thanks to you all !

Amazing, as always! Congratulations, Marc! :)

I'm putting all four on a CD tonight and will give them as a "graduation gift" to a hornist friend of mine, who plays her diploma concert tomorrow... I think she'll like it ;)

Have you ever thought about gathering 11 other hornists and play those suites live? The crowd will go nuts :)

Greets,

Chris

Amazing, as always! Congratulations, Marc! :)

I'm putting all four on a CD tonight and will give them as a "graduation gift" to a hornist friend of mine, who plays her diploma concert tomorrow... I think she'll like it ;)

Have you ever thought about gathering 11 other hornists and play those suites live? The crowd will go nuts :)

Greets,

Chris

I think this is a smashing idea - and if all the players were up to Marc's standard, I would even pay hard cash to see it live!

Damn Marc, I was joking when I suggested you do Mine Cart Chase, but you pulled it off!!! Amazing!!! Once again you have created something fantastic. There really is nothing else out there like these pieces. You are a genius of medley-creation. Consider me a fan. :)

This is just fantastic. My goodness...is this all done with sheet music, or is some (or...all?!) of it by ear? And is it all you in terms of performance! (Aside from the singing, I mean.) In any case, amazing work. Goodness, I need to learn to play horn. (Speaking of which...how long have you been playing, and how long would you say it took you to get good enough to really start having fun with it?)

This is just fantastic. My goodness...is this all done with sheet music, or is some (or...all?!) of it by ear? And is it all you in terms of performance! (Aside from the singing, I mean.) In any case, amazing work. Goodness, I need to learn to play horn. (Speaking of which...how long have you been playing, and how long would you say it took you to get good enough to really start having fun with it?)

All of it was done with sheet music this time and yep, it's all me !

I've been playing for a good 15 years now ( started at 8 and I'm now 23 ), but I couldn't really say how long it takes to master it and really enjoy yourself playing. It depends on what age you begin, your dedication to it, practicing...also if you've played another brass instrument before things will be much easier .

But I've seen teenagers and adults getting to a pretty nice level in 4-5 years ! Enough to be playing some good old JW in a concert band ;)

As for a live performance I know in my region ( North of France ) there sometimes is a "horn reunion" with hundreds of hornists playing together so this may be the perfect occasion :thumbup:

Well I wouldn't mind sharing it if only there was something to share :D

I just don't have any sheet music written down...

For this medley I knew which cues I wanted to use and I just built the whole thing in my head.

When recording I do it cue by cue, reading and transposing directly on the original full score, and arranging it "live". Then it's a long process of overdubbing for all the small details, and working out the transitions, and finally is the medley complete...

Now I'd need to go back on each tribute and transcribe everything in order to have 12 proper parts, which I should do when I have the time for it..

I considered reducing it for 8 or 4 horns but i'm not sure how it would sound..certain parts such as Let there be light in Part II would just have to be deleted..

Anyway if I do it one of those days be sure I'll let you know !

wow O_O - fantastic work! must've taken a long time to record and mix all that.

btw, you say it's all done from sheetmusic - but a lot of what I hear isn't available anywhere - where'd you get those ESB sheets fx?

Marc, I know you've probably already been asked this question before, but have you ever considered sending these recordings to John Williams himself?

I sent a cd with part I, II and III a few months ago ..haven't had any news to this day !

Also via myspace I've been in contact with Lionel Williams who apparently is Mark's son ( so JW's grandson ) who told me he could get his grand father to hear my tributes..no news about that either :P

Also via myspace I've been in contact with Lionel Williams who apparently is Mark's son ( so JW's grandson ) who told me he could get his grand father to hear my tributes..no news about that either :P

Something tells me that won't work out.

Marc, i'm typing while listening to the tribute part IV ...

i'm SPEECHLESS !!!!!!!! wouahhhhhhhhh , The jurassic park Cluster !!!! anything goes KICKs ASS !! (thanks to the sister :P ) ...

all the indy materials !! the MAP ROOM !!! woooooow

and the ESB tunes !!!

and this time, you did a full Stereo record !:: congrats !!

now that the tribute part IV is over, i'm sure you have plenty of time to work on our JW Piano/Horn Duet ;)

I just listened to all 4 "Tributes," and I was blown away by all of them. You truly have a gift, Marc, in both writing and performing.

My favorite part of the recent one is "Approaching the Stones." Magnificent.

• 4 weeks later...

I've just uploaded on youtube a video I recorded for Part I.

I thought this way my tribute would be a bit more "accessible" for people who don't have jwfans' knowledge ;)

So the video shows me ( or multiple me ) playing part I entirely, with pictures of each movie in the background.

=>

Marc

WOW, that was amazing. JW knows the horn more than any composer and in my opinion could write as well for it as did Mahler and Strauss.

There is some excellent playing there, especially the low horn. Are you playing a Holton here?

I would of loved a bells up at the end of ET too. LOL

Congrats!

DHP