Marc Papeghin's French Horn Tributes!

Marc

I still don't have anything written down ...

The thing is I have so much projects in the works that I can't find time to properly transcribe every part for every tribute I've done..!

I know some horn players out there would like to play them so I'll do it eventually, at least this one =>

which has the most popular themes.

I still don't have anything written down ...

The thing is I have so much projects in the works that I can't find time to properly transcribe every part for every tribute I've done..!

I know some horn players out there would like to play them so I'll do it eventually, at least this one =>

which has the most popular themes.

which project in the works ?????

Mmmh there's one you should know about, right ? :D

+ I have plans for some other videos, and other tributes that I've started a long time ago and definitely have to finish.

I'm not sure what other projects you have going on, but this JW horn tribute needs to be on the top of your list. It really is amazing. So do you

play these right out of the scores? They work so well for horn ensemble. That Jurrasic Park choral sounds like it was written for horn quartet.

There is so much great music out there of JW's, the sad part is that most of it is locked away and it won't be until after his dead when will

get to see it on paper. Do you use scores, or do you transcribe all the parts of recordings?

Look forward to seeing more!

Kevin

For the most part I use full scores, I want to be accurate and faithful to the original as much as I can be.

But when I don't have them I either transcribe or just arrange and record by memory.

On another subject maybe someone here could answer something I've been wondering about these past few days..

If I ever wanted to publish the sheet musics for my tributes, I know there would be a copyright fee to pay and I'm afraid in the case of our dear JW the price wouldn't be cheap..do someone here know about it or have an idea of the prices ?

Unfortunately probably more than one person can afford without having the financial backing of a publisher or something similar.

Depends on how much material you want to publish etc. - I know that sometimes rights to arrange can go for as little as $800, or could become astronomically higher.

I finally got a chance to listen to all 4 parts of this yesterday afternoon, and they are brilliant. It's really quite impressive how much each improved upon the last, from arrangements to performance to sound recording quality. Great job!!

For the most part I use full scores, I want to be accurate and faithful to the original as much as I can be.

But when I don't have them I either transcribe or just arrange and record by memory.

On another subject maybe someone here could answer something I've been wondering about these past few days..

If I ever wanted to publish the sheet musics for my tributes, I know there would be a copyright fee to pay and I'm afraid in the case of our dear JW the price wouldn't be cheap..do someone here know about it or have an idea of the prices ?

I could imagine that if a publishing house likes your arrangements and wants to print them, they would take care of the fees.

Of course I don't really know anything... it just seems logical.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Congrats to Marc for making the main page!

http://www.jwfan.com/index.php?option=com_...17&Itemid=1

Thanks for that ! ( a little late sorry )

On another subject, I've been working these days to have the sheet music for my tributes published.

To do so I need authorisation from none other than Warner, Universal and Sony..only to learn today by Universal that Mr Williams "does not approve outside arrangements for publication." Now I haven't sent them anything yet so I'm wondering..is there a way it could still be done ?

I've worked a lot on this project and wouldn't want it to stop right now..

Anyway, any ideas are welcome !

Congrats to Marc for making the main page!

http://www.jwfan.com/index.php?option=com_...17&Itemid=1

Thanks for that ! ( a little late sorry )

On another subject, I've been working these days to have the sheet music for my tributes published.

To do so I need authorisation from none other than Warner, Universal and Sony..only to learn today by Universal that Mr Williams "does not approve outside arrangements for publication." Now I haven't sent them anything yet so I'm wondering..is there a way it could still be done ?

I've worked a lot on this project and wouldn't want it to stop right now..

Anyway, any ideas are welcome !

hey marc .... it's weird, because if you take a look at a sheet music store , you will see that there are THOUSANDS of williams compositions, arranged by someone else, for concert band, full orchestra, etc .....

this reply from universal is weird !!

• 6 months later...

Hi all !

Here's my latest production...a french horn tribute to one of the best video game soundtrack ever..Nobuo Uematsu's Final Fantasy VII !

It lasts 22 mins and is divided into 2 parts :

Part I => http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=419XfKkFZ1A

Part II =>

( Full quality direct download links :

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=TI7NLG4B

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=51IZQYH0 )

Wow, I just checked out Opening-Bombing Mission. :)

I am looking forward to the rest of it.

EDIT: That was terrific, Marc! So many great themes, so many memories... I'm amazed how well you did that World Crisis cue.

5 well deserved stars for effort, excellent job. It's always nice to see someone with a real appreciation for great game music. I never played FFVII but I'm well aware of it's beloved greatness - I remember hearing the music coming from my kid brother's bedroom for weeks on end. Good stuff.

Thanks guys !

Neimoidian> Glad you enjoyed World Crisis :censored: I've always loved this cue and was sure from the beginning that I would end the tribute with it..What a fantastic, grand, majestic cue it is..I get chills everytime I hear it !

Like a lot of great FFVII cues, it definitely should have been arranged for a symphonic ensemble.

Until now it seems all we can get is Opening-Bombing Mission, Aeris and One Winged Angel, while so many other themes as good as those would really deserve a great proper arrangement.

Until now it seems all we can get is Opening-Bombing Mission, Aeris and One Winged Angel, while so many other themes as good as those would really deserve a great proper arrangement.

You forgot FF7 Main Theme, an orchestral version of which is available too. But I agree, the score consists of some of the greatest themes ever; I find many of them on pair with JW's.

• 2 weeks later...

Just started listening, but already 5 minutes in, I'm amazed (but then, I expected no less from you :(). If you would just continue and do a FFVIII tribute, I'd be really looking forward to it ;)

If you would just continue and do a FFVIII tribute, I'd be really looking forward to it :blink:

I had already recorded a few themes just to hear how it would sound ( I did Premonition and Cactus Jack ) and well...sounded great !

So I'm pretty sure it'll eventually see the light of the day..:D

• 2 months later...

I remembered there were a few Dream Theater fans in the house so I thought I'd post this here too.

This is my latest work, "When Dream and Horn Unite", the 2nd part to my DT horn Tribute.

Once again I've built a big medley of DT stuff from almost every album and arranged it, horn ensemble style :P

This was one of the most challenging I've done in terms of mix, as there are up to 19 horns together !

I've also done a video for this one :

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?znjolmhjwez

or

MP3 (320kbps) :

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?zmzk2yyovyn

http://www.myspace.com/marcpapeghin

• 1 month later...

Hey, thanks man !

Always glad to know people still listen to my works :)

Speaking of which.. I'm still trying to have the sheet music for Part I released.

I need direct approval from Williams' management ( Hal Leonard and such won't grant any print licenses until I have it ) but contacting them turns out to be...well... impossible.

I'm trying everything I can but am kind of running out of ideas now...

If anybody knows something or someone in the business who could help...I'm all ears !

:lol:

Marc, you really did a terrific job with all four tributes, so here's another congratulations! :D Bravo, man. If I remember correctly, once upon a time you also did something similar with some Dream Theater/Symphony X music too and being a huge fan of both bands I'd really appreciate these links too! :thumbup:

Hey thanks :thumbup:

Indeed I did two horn tributes to Dream Theater ( the first one was played before every show of the last tour, thank you Mike ! )

You can check out When dream and horn Unite ( DT horn tribute part II ) here =>

And for download links to all of my tributes => http://www.myspace.com/marcpapeghin

• 3 months later...

I finally took some time to finish Part V.

I always decide of a certain direction I want to go in , this time it was..."Fun".

So it's full of cheerful, quirky and fast JW cues, but you'll hear and see for yourself ;)

As always, this is a fantastic medley, brilliantly arranged and performed. And I loved the visual additions--the choreography while playing, the usage of relevant film clips, and the clever editing in sync with the music. Bravo! I can't wait for Part VI! ;)

Splendid work Marc! As always. Beautiful arrangements and performance of this beautiful music. ;)

Thanks !

I think adding video clips really make the tributes work even better...

And as said above you did a great job synchronizing the action in those clips to the music. :P

It was quite fun really to do...especially the Frog scene, HP III's snow fight and the Jurassic Park bit ( even though for that one it's not the actual cue used in the movie :P

Utterly fantastic. What else is new? ;) Seriously, though, you never cease to amaze. I love how clean those 32nd notes in the Olympic theme (the second one) are. Your arrangements and performances are just...flawless. Obviously, you've got some pretty good material to work with, but still. :P

Great work (as always), and very fun to hear (and watch)! I cracked up at the part where the two of you stop and look at each other ;)

Do you have an mp3 of this to download?

You really seem to like Adventures of Mutt :P

Greets,

Chris