Complete "Olympic Spirit" (1988 Olympics)

thx99

So the complete recording of "Olympic Spirit" was featured in at least the closing credits of the Games back in 1988. I always thought that it had gone unheard until the "Summon the Heroes" CD, featuring the "FIRST RECORDING" of it, was released in 1996.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8KzNM0F0o8

(at around 2:20, the portion not included on the original 1988 CD version appears)

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having listened to it again, and comparing the YouTube audio with the original CD release, it appears that the portion from ~2:22 through 2:36 of the YouTube video was simply removed for the CD version, producing a noticeable edit at ~2:01 on the CD track.

FWIW...

Having listened to it again, and comparing the YouTube audio with the original CD release, it appears that the portion from ~2:22 through 2:36 of the YouTube video was simply removed for the CD version, producing a noticeable edit at ~2:01 on the CD track.

FWIW...

The recapitulation immediately after that appears to have a slightly different horn countermelody, and parts of the final minute are voiced differently, not to mention the altogether alternate final few bars! :rolleyes:

What LP release are we talking about, then?

This one:

512HQHSPTYL._AA240_.jpg

The recapitulation immediately after that appears to have a slightly different horn countermelody, and parts of the final minute are voiced differently, not to mention the altogether alternate final few bars! :D

Thanks for the more in-depth review, but are you referring to the version that appears on the Summon the Heroes CD or the original 1988 LP/CD release, as compared to the YouTube video? I'm guessing the former since beyond the transition I discussed above, I didn't hear any obvious differences between the 1988 LP/CD and the YouTube versions. Then again, I wasn't concerned too much with anything outside of that transition, so I could be making an incorrect assumption about your review. :rolleyes:

I see. So this makes the "first recording" tag even more absurd. :D

Yes, to some extent. One could argue that the Summon the Heroes CD version is the "first commercial recording" but not the first time the complete version was ever recorded. :rolleyes:

I never knew the piece was actually longer until 1996 when Summon The Heroes was released.

I don't know if this has been posted, don't feel like gong thru the you tube thread but how bout this little Olympic blast from the past:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K90GoFrLvVI...feature=related

Re: Blast from the past...

Summon the Heroes - The Original Clunky Unrefined Edition!

Summon the Heroes,The Original Short Version for a Stadium Full of People with Short Attention Spans

I don't know if this has been posted, don't feel like gong thru the you tube thread but how bout this little Olympic blast from the past:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K90GoFrLvVI...feature=related

Thanks for posting this, Mark! I enjoyed watching this, despite McKay and Jennings blabbing over the performance. :rolleyes:

But the Summon The Heroes CD does feature the full version, doesn't it?

I think the version as found on the Summon the Heroes CD it's also re-orchestrated a little bit. Maybe that's why it was labeled as "First Recording"...

But the Summon The Heroes CD does feature the full version, doesn't it?

I think the version as found on the Summon the Heroes CD it's also re-orchestrated a little bit. Maybe that's why it was labeled as "First Recording"...

Yes, I think there are a few orchestration diferences.

By the way, do you know why the hell Olympic Spirit isn't included in the broadcast of the New York Philarmonic concert?

So it was performed during the concert and left out of the broadcast? Possibly a rights issue or editorial decision? Just speculation.