What is the last film you watched?

Mr. Breathmask

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being roused by the Blue Box, I watched Superman the Movie yesterday, planning on watching the II today. ;)

Also, gotta go to the cinema one of these days to finally see Sweeney Todd.

I watched Charlie Bartlett. I thought it was good, and the main actor (Anton Yelchin) was great. His performance was brilliant, and he reminded me of Matthew Broderick in Ferris Bueller's Day Off. In general, he has played very serious roles and characters, but in this movie, he is actually very humorous, and you can tell that he has a wide range of acting skills, ranging from seious to hilarious.

I'll be watching Michael Clayton later today. It's nominated for an Oscar or two, and I try to see all the Oscar-Nominated films before I watch the ceremony.

Is it even out on DVD?

Yeah, but I have to hit zoom to get it to fit my 16:9. It's not fullscreen, but not enhanced for widescreen. (Spacecamp)

I watched Charlie Bartlett. I thought it was good, and the main actor (Anton Yelchin) was great. His performance was brilliant, and he reminded me of Matthew Broderick in Ferris Bueller's Day Off. In general, he has played very serious roles and characters, but in this movie, he is actually very humorous, and you can tell that he has a wide range of acting skills, ranging from seious to hilarious.

I really don't know what the point of that film is. It can't try to be Ferris Bueller, because it couldn't possibly live up to it. But yet it looks exactly like a modern version of Day Off. I don't know what to make of it.

Would you mind, either here or by PM, sharing your specific POV on the matter? I really can't get my head around it, and I don't think the answer will come to me, as it did with No Country.

I don't think I'm really eloquent enough to satisfactorily explain it but upon reflection, with the way the character was going

he was becoming more and more self-destructive until the end along with his obsession with beating Eli. I guess he knew where he was going in the end but he couldn't act against his motivations.

Watched The Assassination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford today, in blu-ray, of course. Excellent film, second best of 2007 and one of the best ever made. Brad Pitt and Casey Affleck are perfect, as is Sam Rockwell. This movie has the best cinematography I have ever seen, it's up there with Once Upon A Time In The West. The score, perfect. Nick Cave and Warren Ellis are better than most composers with just this score.

It is an excellent film, and one of the best of '07 (My favorites, at this time, are No Country for Old Men, Sweeney Todd, Diving Bell and the Butterfly, and The Coward Robert Ford).

Yes, it does have stunning cinematography, and not at the expense of narrative (Even though I personally don't consider Once Upon the time in the West to be up there, Cinematography-wise).

And yes, it's score is excellent.

Overall, I just don't think 2007 was a very hot year for movies. As far as my tastes go, I suppose.

I finished Michael Clayton yesterday and was surprised at how mediocre it was. I mean, the story wasn't anything new. It just wasn't as engaging as I would've hoped. I didn't notice anything too spectacular about the score (although it seemed to pick up towards the end). I'm happy Swinton won the oscar for best supporting, I dig her, but there was nothing particularly special about her part (or any of the other nominated supporting actresses, for that matter).

I also watched American Graffiti, a flick I haven't seen since I was a kid. I really enjoyed it (except for Ronny Howard's character). In a way, I think it's too bad Lucas' career went the way it did. THX and Graffiti were both very well-made films and I would've liked to see what else he would've made, had Star Wars not happened. Ah well.

Earlier in the weekend, I saw Be Kind Rewind. It was pretty much exactly what I thought it'd be. The flick didn't try to be a laugh riot and they tried to throw some heart in there, but it didn't really work. Still, the remaking of movies such as Ghostbusters and Rush Hour 2 were pretty hilarious (which you can find online anyway). It was okay. Worth a viewing.

As far as 2007 goes, I still need to catch Before the Devil Knows Your Dead and There Will Be Blood. I suppose I have mild interest in Atonement, if only for the score (I've heard the first track and like it . . . but that's all I've listened to). Juno was okay but its weakest aspect was the writing (ironically enough). La Vie En Rose was pretty boring to me . . . I dunno, maybe it helps to have prior knowledge of the singer. I tried to watch Assassination of Jesse James but I just wasn't in the mood for such a deliberately paced flick I guess.

U23D

Great concert movie, especially if you're a U2 fan. I went for the music, and had little interest in the 3D, but the 3D ended up impressing me mightily. There isn't a great deal of "jump out at you" stuff; it's mostly subtle, designed to immerse you in the experience. And the sound is absolutely awesome.

This gives me extremely high hopes for Avatar. On the other hand, the two previews for upcoming 3D movies (Fly Me to the Moon and Brendan Fraser's Journey to the Center of the Earth both look odiously terrible).

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. I'm now in the group of people who like that movie. Robert Downey Jr is great, as always - and the script made me like Val Kilmer - that was odd. Most of the time the scene feels like one random one-liner after the other, but, disperse as it was, it had a tone, it had pace and it had decent characters. Man, I love Robert Downey Jr.

New and improved version:

Robert-Downey-Jr_0.jpg

That's right you illiterate Cremers smuck, leave my dazzlingly beautiful Elmo alone or my perfectly formed fist will hit you in the ugly face, purely accidental, of course.

Robert-Downey-Jr.jpg

Oh, no! Can I take that back?

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. I'm now in the group of people who like that movie. Robert Downey Jr is great, as always - and the script made me like Val Kilmer - that was odd. Most of the time the scene feels like one random one-liner after the other, but, disperse as it was, it had a tone, it had pace and it had decent characters. Man, I love Robert Downey Jr.

Commentary is great on that one. Director with Downey and Kilmer I believe.

I think mine is the Hungarian version (with subtitles). Damn Magyars!

I'm watching episode 11 of Deadwood. The show didn't quite grab me as I thought it would, but it's good enough, and, of course, Ian McShane is insanely watchable.

Also saw I'm Not There. It's concept is more itneresting than it's execution. I was bored silly with a great deal of it. But the mimickry of Cate Blanchett and especially Ben Whishaw was quite entertaining. I suspect I just don't know enough about Dylan to care to an inordinant degree.

I think mine is the Hungarian version (with subtitles). Damn Magyars!

I'm watching episode 11 of Deadwood. The show didn't quite grab me as I thought it would, but it's good enough, and, of course, Ian McShane is insanely watchable.

Also saw I'm Not There. It's concept is more itneresting than it's execution. I was bored silly with a great deal of it. But the mimickry of Cate Blanchett and especially Ben Whishaw was quite entertaining. I suspect I just don't know enough about Dylan to care to an inordinant degree.

I'm a big Dylan fan and was dying to see the movie . . . until I heard that it wasn't "about Dylan," per se, but was about "aspects of Dylan." At which time I pronounced it to likely be a pretentious bore and lost all interest. I would still kind of like to see it for Cate Blanchett, though.

As for Deadwood, in my opinion, that's the best show of the last decade, bar none. The performances are so good that it's ridiculous, especially Ian McShane. And don't get me started on the dialogue (which starts out awesome and only gets better as the series progresses). However, it's such a mannered show that I can't honestly say I have any objection to people not liking it.

I watched Brian DePalma's Redacted last night. I admire his ambition, conviction, and even outrage, but his actors and his script ultimately block the movie from being truly incendiary. Interesting stuff, though. Provocative to say the least.

Ted

Semi-Pro

Stupid, stupid, stupid. And so funny I had a splitting headache from laughing by the time I left.

Now, you're either a Will Ferrell fan or you aren't. I am. I also though Talladega Nights and Anchorman were stupendously funny, so if you hated either of those, you might to give this one a miss. It's better than the only-occasionally-funny Blades of Glory, and I can only assume that it's funnier than Elf, which I refuse to ever see (despite the presence of Zooey Deschanel, who is so hot she can't help but have a new solar system form in orbit of her any day now). Can't compare it to Old School, because inexplicably, I've never seen it. (To Netflix!)

I might also mention that there was (on our print) a preview for Ferrel's next opus, Step Brothers, co-sarring John C. Reilly. This trailer made me laugh more than Adam Sandler's last five movies combined. Which isn't actually saying much, but my point is, you're going to want to see Step Brothers.

Back to Semi-Pro. Will Arnett gets a few major laughs, as does Rob Corddry, and both Woody Harrelson and Andre Benjamin do a decent job of playing it straight. But in this movie, that's chump's work. There is a rampaging bear, a great fight scene, an even better vomit scene, a fine instance of Barry White, an even finer instance of Patti LaBelle, inadvertent Russian roulette, lots of foul language, and and the best bad '70s wardrobes since We Are Marshall set that particular bar an insurmountable height.

If this sounds like your cup of tea, then sip it, my friend. Sip it and savor the taste.

Oh, that's out already? How does it compare to Casualties of War?

I haven't seen Casualties of War, but I would like to. (Shameless plug alert!) I have recently posted my review of Redacted here.

Ted

I'm a big Dylan fan and was dying to see the movie . . . until I heard that it wasn't "about Dylan," per se, but was about "aspects of Dylan." At which time I pronounced it to likely be a pretentious bore and lost all interest. I would still kind of like to see it for Cate Blanchett, though.

Bryant, you must see this film. When I heard it wasn't about Dylan, I was skeptical, but being the Dylan fan that I am, I had to see it.

It's better the way it is, if it was just about Dylan, it would merely be just a biographical film that's been done numerous times before. Todd Hayes brought in a unique style to tell the story of Dylan's amazing life.

Don't forget that technically it is about Dylan. But it isn't. He is everyone. He is no one. Each actor portrays a period in Dylan's life, but they have different names, but each one is extremely accurate in detail. Hayes used archival interview footage for the dialogue.

For me, at least, it was magnificent. However, there is a single flaw. Dylan fans would not enjoy this. It takes knowledge of him, especially of his songs to enjoy the movie. Each scene is structured after the songs playing, so if you don't know the context or lyrics of the song, the scene will pretty much be confusing and boring. I particularly loved the Ballad Of A Thin Man sequence.

The acting was superb. Blanchett deserved the Oscar.

Here are my favorites of '07:

1. No Country For Old Men

2. The Assassination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford

3. I'm Not There

4. There Will Be Blood

5. Michael Clayton

Bryant, you must see this film. When I heard it wasn't about Dylan, I was skeptical, but being the Dylan fan that I am, I had to see it.

It's better the way it is, if it was just about Dylan, it would merely be just a biographical film that's been done numerous times before. Todd Hayes brought in a unique style to tell the story of Dylan's amazing life.

Don't forget that technically it is about Dylan. But it isn't. He is everyone. He is no one. Each actor portrays a period in Dylan's life, but they have different names, but each one is extremely accurate in detail. Hayes used archival interview footage for the dialogue.

For me, at least, it was magnificent. However, there is a single flaw. Dylan fans would not enjoy this. It takes knowledge of him, especially of his songs to enjoy the movie. Each scene is structured after the songs playing, so if you don't know the context or lyrics of the song, the scene will pretty much be confusing and boring. I particularly loved the Ballad Of A Thin Man sequence.

The acting was superb. Blanchett deserved the Oscar.

Here are my favorites of '07:

1. No Country For Old Men

2. The Assassination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford

3. I'm Not There

4. There Will Be Blood

5. Michael Clayton

Well, there's no possible way for me to not trust the opinion of someone who liked both No Country For Old Men and There Will Be Blood, both of which are all-time classics in my opinion.

So I'm Not There is back on my to-watch list. I may wait until after my next Dylan run-through, though. Sounds like it might be a good idea to have all the songs in my head.

Thanks!

The movie shifts from genre to genre every 20 minutes or so. It's not like that removes you from it, or makes you stop caring about its characters, but it does startle the viewer - which might or might not be the director's original intention. Doesn't mean I think it's a flaw, or that I like it all the less for it.

After my dissapointing haul last time I rented stuff, this weekend's picks were uniformly terrific:

First up is Streetcar Named Desire. I had never seen this before, and was pleasantly surprised to learn that packs quite a punch. I was afraid that something that was daring 50+ years might seem tame today..but a powerhouse drama. I won't be crass enough to extoll Brando's virtues (though I was shocked by how truely animalistic he was), but I was surprised by the power of Vivien Leigh's performance. Generally, when the movie is discussed, the only names one hears are Kazan and Brando (and, obviously in our circle, North). But Leigh is absolutely terrific. There's a very distinct sexuality there, and the tragedy/madness of the character rarely feel over-done.

The movie does have a stagey feel to it -obviously, with it being set almost exclusivly in 2 sets- but, as pointless as it sounds 57 years later, I found myself greatful that there wasn't any arbitrary 'opening-up' of it. The atmosphere of the apartment is more than worth the stagey feel of the piece. And of course, one of the best scenes is the scene on the lake, between Leigh and Malden.

The landmark score is excellent, and notably rare for the Golden age, for not being excessivly melodramatic. The main titles make a boisterous promise that the movie lives up to.

Superb. ****/****.

Great Expectations (1946). I'd seen this before (though I can't for the life of me recall when or where), and had very fond memories of it. I was very happy to find out that it is even finer than I remembered. It's remarkable how David Lean had two career stages, and that both are as great as they are different (and they are about as different as they come). I've long been a fan of his epics (Mainly Lawrence of Arabia- Bridge on the River Kwai seems more flawed each time I see it), but his B&W 40's dramas are about as good as it gets. Brief Encounter is one of the most touching and involving love stories I've ever seen, and Great Expectations is a rare classic book adaptation that hits the same notes as the novel, but in a uniquely filmic way.

The film, to me, achieves the same amount of iconism as the book does. The names, sets, exchanges are positively mythic. And while, obviously, all of these mythic elements came from Dickens, Lean presents them with such sure-handed filmmaking, that even though I am familiar with the book, the movie's presentation is what sticks. The graveyard scene in the begining. MissHavisham's introduction, in her wedding dress, in the gothic manor. Estella's (defensive?) callousness towards Pip. Joe's pure hearted kindness, and the pain of seeing Pip condescend it. Magwitch's pride in Pip (again, with Pip not really earning it). And many other elements.

One thing that struck upon watching it this time, is what a weak character the grown-up Pip is. And it is not helped by the unease of believing John Mills, who looks like he's in his 40's, is 21. He is a relatively blank slate, for the terrific supporting characters to play against. Speaking of supporting characters...I had forgotten about Francis Sullivan as Mr. Jaggers. A scene stealing performance if ever there was one.

The cinematography is a tad on the dramatic side. Actually, it is extremely dramatic. And while that works well of a story of Dickensian proportions....it does seem a bit too dramatic at time (the scene where Pip pulls down the planks and let's light into Miss Havisham's is lacking the cataclysmic effect it should have had).

Music is generally too busy and melodramatic, but not offensively so.

IMO, one of the most glorious adaptations ever. The Cuaron remake, while not uninteresting, is tragically lacking the passion and drama this film has. Although one can almost ignore that for the glories of Patrick Doyle's score (which inclues of my absolute favorite cues ever). ****/****.

Last, and most perplexingly, Paprika. I was told forever that I needed to see this, that I would love it, but I delayed and delayed it, as I have a general dislike towards Anime.

I loved it. The ending is repetetive and not totally clear. I was lost for a respectable amount of it. Still, I loved it. First of all, it is a movie that loved movies. It does not make sly references and remarks, it plainly loves movies. As David Denby (one of my favorite film critics) says in his review:

After some of the most outrageous leaps ever conjoined in a single film, “Paprika” comes to rest with the simple act of a man buying a ticket. Amen.

But aside from it's love of movies, I was dazzled by it, and I quickly made the smart decision to not try to make sense of it. It is a fantastic visceral experience of a film. It does present ideas, of course, but, to be honest, I'm not sure I cared enough to make sense of them. A technology vs. humanity theme is the one I sensed most strongly, though I am not convinced it presented an argument in a particularly clear way. But, once again...I didn't really care. This was a magnificent use of the medium of animation. Too many animated films, aside fromnot being good, are aimed so low, with so few filmic ambitions, that seeing a film like this reminds me of what animation can do as film.

It is a thrilling experience, and I highly recommend this film.

***1/2/****.

Sleepy Hollow: First of all, there were a ton of actors I recognized: The new Dumbledore, Christopher Walkin, the principal in Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Johnny Depp, Vernon Dursley, Christopher Lee, and more. The actual movie was not bad at all, but not terrific. It was the goriest Burton film I've seen (still need to see Sweeney--argh!). The plot was nice enough, the acting was good, and the direction was as well.

***/*****

I think that the problem I have with some Burton films is that Burton tries to have a finale of pure action and SFX or big stunts. Sure, there is emotion and story, but it is overwhelmed by all the action. That is why I prefer films like Big Fish, Edward Scissorhands, The Nightmare Before Christmas, Corpse Bride, and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory to films like Batman, Batman Returns, and Sleepy Hollow. But in every single film I've seen by Burton, his vision is fantastic, despite a sometimes not so great fantastic film.

The score was also good. I will defenetly plan on getting it, hopefully soon.