What is the last film you watched?

Mr. Breathmask

The Sting

The 1973 revenge film involving murder, gambling, counterfeiting and hookers.

A young Robert Redford seeks revenge upon the mobster that killed his mentor. A lot of stuff happens and in the end he extracts revenge.

Scored by Marving Hamlish in a musical style that's out of time with the film.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just kidding, here's my real review.

A genuine pearl of Hollywood film making.

The script manages to keep everything perfectly clear for the viewer, while conning him at the same time. The cast of stars and character actors is a joy to watch and George Roy Hill's direction is as precise as a swiss watch, and just as well crafted.

Most films of this subject matter are dark and brooding and not always that pleasant to watch. , The Sting makes you feel happy inside. Hamlish' adaptation of old Scott Joplin tunes really help to set the atmosphere.

This film, shot mostly on Universal's back-lot must have looked old-fashioned even when it was rweleased in the early 70's.

It still hasn't dated though, even in 2008.

One of my favorites still, and converted to know it's still going strong.

**** out of ****

Morlock, Alex, Stefan, and Joe, all in agreement.

sign of the end times

Enchanted. Great performance by Amy Adams, but the rest were lifeless. The CG chipmunk was annoying, of course. The film's greatest flaw? The "real" world is as simple and fantastic as the fairytale world. I did like the beginning cartoon sequence, though; it was a genuine imitation of Disney's past.

Adams stuck with me, the rest did not, including the songs. Saw Cloverfield. Well, not really. Saw the first 45 minutes and the last 10 minutes. I was feeling quite ill in between, I just closed my eyes and listened to it. My overall impressions was that what it showed was effective enough, the way it showed it was excessively uncinematic. Morally speaking, it is part admirable, part deplorable. The hype was certainly unwarranted, but I knew as much from the very begining.

Harold & Kumar Escape From Guantanamo Bay (**1/2)

Decent flick, funny sequel but highly inferior to the first. Too over-the-top and outrageous for my liking. However, Neil Patrick Harris was hilarious as always. I saw the movie twice so far, both times for free. The second viewing was much less enjoyable than the first.

Morlock, Alex, Stefan, and Joe, all in agreement.

sign of the end times

Hey, I only said that the music worked!

I Am Legend: Watchable but that's it. It lacked a mature script. 28 Days Later kicks this film's butt.

Alex

Well, I disagree there. Smith carried a lot of it. Akiva Goldsman is the screenwriter of the film, as well as A Beautiful Mind, The Da Vinci Code, and Batman and Robin.

Saw Stardust again. Runs too long, but I still think it's one hell of a charming movie.

He's the academy award winning writer for a Beautiful Mind, he's also the writer for Lost in Space and Batman and Robin, in otherwords he's all over the map

Well, I disagree there. Smith carried a lot of it.

Smith can carry all he want, if the material isn't good, what's the use? I thought the acting was merely adequate, certainly nothing above standard.

He's the academy award winning writer for a Beautiful Mind, he's also the writer for Lost in Space and Batman and Robin ...

Hmm, that explains a lot.

He's certainly a villain who'd make me crap my pants while dining with him.

If I ever saw Hopkins on the street, I'd turn on my heel and just run for my life. Of course I'd know that it's "only" Hopkins and that I should probably go and congratulate him for his work and ask for his autograph and possibly a photo, but it seems to me that my first, genuine reaction would be the one described. ;) Hell, the guy's acting was just a wee bit too good in those Lecter movies. :P

You saw what he did to Miggs for being rude. That kind of mess...I'd hate to be a greedy JK Rowling on that day.

she's not being greedy, she is protecting her property, as she should.

You saw what he did to Miggs for being rude. That kind of mess...I'd hate to be a greedy JK Rowling on that day.

she's not being greedy, she is protecting her property, as she should.

I was refering to Drax's avatar. I am firmly in favor of Ms. Rowling in this case.

Les Amants Criminels (1999) and Sitcom (1996): I can't escape the feeling that François Ozon sometimes likes to shock just for the heck of it. I like him more when he does films like Sous Le Sable or The Swimming Pool.

Watched Captain from Castile the other night on Hulu. (Anyone else watching movies on Hulu? Available in US only, I believe.)

It started with great promise but I didn't like where it ended up. And it felt like an hour too long. Alfred Newman's score, while definitely not El Cid, made me take notice a few times.

Iron Man

I loved it. Any movie that starts with AC/DC and ends with Black Sabbath is cool in my book, but this one actually has other things to praise, too. First and foremost, Robert Downey Jr., whom I've maintained a mild hatred for over a couple of decades. Well, color me a f---ing idiot; he's awesmoe in this movie, and I find myself in the strange position of now being a Downey Jr. fan. (Tropic Thunder, by the way, is unlikely to end this new Downy-loving phase of my life, which really and truly began with Zodiac.)

I also loved Gwyneth Paltrow, who looks great as a redhead; more importantly, she steals almost every scene she's in, and she and Downey have such great chemistry together that I wouldn't be surprised if Chris Martin needs to be a little worried.

Faring almost as well is Jeff Bridges, who has some occasionally lame dialogue to spout, and yet always sounds as if he means it. It's the kind of performance that gets taken for granted, and shouldn't.

Terrance (Terrence?) Howard is also good, although very under-utilized, presumably so his role can be expanded in the inevitable (and very welcome) sequel.

Great acting, (mostly) good writing, good (if somewhat scarce) action scenes, and terrific effects. Definitely one of the best Marvel movies.

And damn it if I didn't enjoy the score on a mild level. It's not the kind of music I'd want to listen to segregated from the film, but it worked just fine (for me, at least -- many of you will loathe it) within the movie.

If you're heading out to see it, you should know -- if you didn't already -- that there is a pivotal scene that comes AFTER the credits at the end of the movie. Unless you hate the movie, you need to stick around for a treat.

I love to see this Iron Man even though I'm not to keen on Gwyneth Paltrow. I have a strange affection for the more offbeat comic films like Hulk and Hellboy and this one just might be right up my alley.

Black Hawk Down, for the 2nd time. This time I didn't get lost in the amount of events, nor was overbeard by the constant action and in general I liked the movie much more. In some way, I believe, the current political situation (e.g. war in Iraq) let me watch this movie from slightly different perspective.

The cinematography is stunning and breathtaking. I also like Zimmer's score which I rank among composer's Top 10. Not to mention wonderful Denez Prigent's song.

Iron Man

I loved it. Any movie that starts with AC/DC and ends with Black Sabbath is cool in my book, but this one actually has other things to praise, too. First and foremost, Robert Downey Jr., whom I've maintained a mild hatred for over a couple of decades. Well, color me a f---ing idiot; he's awesmoe in this movie, and I find myself in the strange position of now being a Downey Jr. fan. (Tropic Thunder, by the way, is unlikely to end this new Downy-loving phase of my life, which really and truly began with Zodiac.)

I also loved Gwyneth Paltrow, who looks great as a redhead; more importantly, she steals almost every scene she's in, and she and Downey have such great chemistry together that I wouldn't be surprised if Chris Martin needs to be a little worried.

Faring almost as well is Jeff Bridges, who has some occasionally lame dialogue to spout, and yet always sounds as if he means it. It's the kind of performance that gets taken for granted, and shouldn't.

Terrance (Terrence?) Howard is also good, although very under-utilized, presumably so his role can be expanded in the inevitable (and very welcome) sequel.

Great acting, (mostly) good writing, good (if somewhat scarce) action scenes, and terrific effects. Definitely one of the best Marvel movies.

And damn it if I didn't enjoy the score on a mild level. It's not the kind of music I'd want to listen to segregated from the film, but it worked just fine (for me, at least -- many of you will loathe it) within the movie.

If you're heading out to see it, you should know -- if you didn't already -- that there is a pivotal scene that comes AFTER the credits at the end of the movie. Unless you hate the movie, you need to stick around for a treat.

that is a negative to me, ACDC and Black Sabbath isn't music I care to be subjected too, and the biggest complaint I've found in quite a few reviews of Iron Man is the lack of a quality score. Its the one thing that it needs to have that oommph, but still that said, good review BB, and I look forward to seeing it tonight or tomorrow.

I don't mind AC/DC but was never a fan of Black Sabbath. ;)

The music (score) probably works well in the film but as a stand alone listen it's garbage.

Superman IV: The Quest for Peace.

Oh my god, I laughed so hard, this movie was so bad. But it was so bad, it was good! At least my family and I were able to get some enjoyment out of it, which is much more than I can say about that snore that came out two years ago.

And sometimes I wonder who'd win between the Nuclear Man and those three clowns in Superman II?

King Kong (2005)

One of the most overblown, overlong, preposterous, over ambitious movies I have ever seen. And it fails miserably on all accounts. Awful movie.

I have good memories of seeing King Kong and listening to the score, but when I saw it on TV a few weeks ago, the nostalgia was overridden by bad acting, overdramatic directing, and completely unnessessary subplots in a movie that needs all the shortening it can get.

~Sturgis, who originally gave it an A and called it spectacular

King Kong (2005)

One of the most overblown, overlong, preposterous, over ambitious movies I have ever seen. And it fails miserably on all accounts. Awful movie.

I totally disagree with you, in fact after seeing the directors cut, it turns out it wasn't long enough.

Not perfect by anymeans but a marvelous piece of entertainment, and there is one scene that is what movie magic is all about.

And the score is awesome, its yet to leave my car for over a year.

I like Peter Jackson's Kong. Sure it may be over the top and too long compared to the 1933 masterpiece but it's still entertaining.

At least it's better than that piece of sh*t remake from 1976.

Iron Man

It was really really good. Not only cool, but a really well-made, funny, entertaining movie. Robert Downey Jr. is hilarious and a very good actor. A

~Sturgis