What is the last film you watched?

Mr. Breathmask

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was shocked by how awful it is.

I've said before it feels like a TV-movie that happens to have been shot on Panavision. There's no sense of danger in the final act, no sense I'm watching a battle. I'm just watching a series of poorly shot slapstick moments.

There's basically two good things about this movie: ILM's VFX work on the space battle, and Williams' score. Neither of those, however, is good enough to redeem the utter turd the rest of the movie is.

Not even the Palpatine/Vader/Luke scenes? I've always loved those. You're right about the ground battle though, it gets worse every time you see it.

All of the Vader and Luke scenes even the Vader/Palpatine/Luke scenes and space battle scenes I still enjoy from ROTJ but the rest of the film I agree with Marc it gets dreadful each time.

It's interesting, him and I had this discussion before and for a lot of us, as we get older we tend to view these movies we grew up watching in a different way. I know it sounds weird but it's true.

Personally I wish Lucas would get his head out of his ass, swallow his pride and just release a completely restored 16x9 widescreen version of the original theatrical cuts for the Original Star Wars Trilogy.

There are many other directors who've released the original theatrical cuts restored to their movies but Lucas is the only one I know of that won't do it for the Original Trilogy.

Also over all my interest in Star Wars has really died down the last year or so. I just don't care to see them any more. The next time I buy the movies is when they are released on Blu-Ray ...after that I'm done with Star Wars.

Personally I wish Lucas would get his head out of his ass, swallow his pride and just release a completely restored 16x9 widescreen version of the original theatrical cuts for the Original Star Wars Trilogy.

You mean just SW and ESB package, because who wants ROTJ, if its a great turd?

Yes I've been saying that about ROTJ since 1983.

As a 15 year old I was disappointed. Although I do enjoy the Vader/Luke/Emperor scenes.

Williams music is still fantastic though.

I find it underrated, but still the worst of the OT. The Luke/Vader/Emperor scenes are some of my favorites in the films, and I think the space battle over Endor is great. The score is a personal favorite of mine.

The Bourne Ultimatum.

The trilogy went from strength to strength for me, and I heard that there's a fourth movie being directed by Greengrass in 2010.

I find Powell's mostly percussive score to get tiresome after a while though, so I just have a compilation of the best of the 3 scores plus that cool Moby song at the end (not entirely my glass of coke, but it works so damn well in the finale of movies 2 and 3)

Powell's best cue in the movie ('Tangiers') can barely be heard in the film. I may be wrong, but I recall feeling the score's presence in the second film a lot more.

Saw the 2002 Count of Monte Cristo. It's a decent old-fashioned yarn. I had problems with the cinematography (both framing and lighting), but the costumes and sets look great. Jim Caviezel is lacking some charisma, but it's not a bad performance. Guy Pierce is good, but a bit one note. I don't think anything more was needed...but he got a bit annoying. The actress playing Mercedes is light-weight in every way, especially in the voice department. Luis Guzman is a very anachronistic presence.

The ending feels wrong over here...the movie is too gloomy for the happy ending. Most entertaining sequence in the film is the jail sequence, which benefits immeasurabely from Richard Harris's presence.

Score is fantastic. Only Shearmur score I like.

Not half bad, and far more entertaining than I remembered. **1/2/****.

Also saw Cassandra's Dream, Woody Allen's latest. The film has a very sleepy feel to it....doesn't feel like Allen was excited about it. And it is, in essence, a variation on the theme he dealt with in Crimes and Misdeamenors and Match Point. Performances are fine, considering how unfleshed out the characters are.

Ending sucks. What happens is right and obvious, but it is not handled well.

Doesn't at all feel like a Woody Allen film. Espcially given that it has a score (which is typical Glass, although the main and end titles have a nice Herrmann feel to them).

**/****.

Also, saw the first couple of seasons of Entourage. First was not very good. Didn't like anyone in it aside from Piven. Second was much better.

And I started watching season 2 of Deadwood...I did not like the first two episodes at all. It feels like they're doing their best to make the dialogue as fancy as possible. It's fine for one or two chracters...but this one feels like the writers deem themselves too good for prose. I'm gonna give up if it doesn't pick up soon.

Just watched Office Space (slow Saturday). Absolutely hilarious movie - go Milton!

"Take my traveller's checks to a competing resort" :mellow:

It's one of my favorite comedies. Endlessly quotable.

Ratatouille, after I had it sitting on my shelf for two months. My expectations were high (it's Pixar, and it mostly got good reviews). For much of the movie I thought it was really good, but didn't live quite up to Pixar's best - but during the whole ending, starting with Ego's "taste flashback", I was mesmerised. I had been expecting the (supposedly) inevitable happy end: Ego likes the taste, gives a good review, everyone's happy. I totally didn't see this coming, but it was so much better than anything I could have expected. Very poetic, and it just felt completely "right". Easily the best ending for a Pixar movie so far. Very touching.

Throughout the movie I had been wondering who voice ego (I've only seen O'Toole undubbed once before, so there was no chance I could have found out by myself). And only halfway through did I remember that Holm was in this, but then it was easy to figure out who his character was. He was brilliant, I'd love to have seen him recording the lines. But the whole cast was very good (as always). I didn't notice Ratzenberger though (I know he was in it).

Lifted was fun. But the best thing about it was the very end - best Wilhelm ever. :mellow:

Just watched Office Space (slow Saturday). Absolutely hilarious movie - go Milton!

"Take my traveller's checks to a competing resort" :mellow:

It's one of my favorite comedies. Endlessly quotable.

"I-I...I was told...tha-that I could play the radio at a reasonable volume..."

The Bourne Ultimatum. The trilogy went from strength to strength for me, and I heard that there's a fourth movie being directed by Greengrass in 2010.

Too much of a (nervous and monotonous) ride and not enough film. The first one is still unbeaten.

The Simpsons Movie: The jokes from the first part of the movie can easily compete with the series' best seasons. The second part was more about action and less about comedy. An uneven movie. A weak ending. And, strangely enough, I didn't miss Alf Clausen.

Alex

Leatherheads (***)

Saw it for free, so that's always a plus. The movie itself was surprisingly good. I enjoyed all of it, as it had some great laughs and was entertaining through it's near 2-hour length. The acting was very good, they all had good chemistry on screen. Costumes and production design were the glory of the movie, Clooney was able to carry the time period extremely well. Randy Newman's score was decent, which I didn't expect. In some parts it interfered with the dialogue, though, and that's not a good thing. He also had a cameo in the movie, at least I think it was him, which was pretty funny.

Overall: I wouldn't be surprised if this picked up an Oscar or two.

Randy Newman's score was decent, which I didn't expect.

Newman's a terrific composer. I wish he's get more action assignments. Air Force One is brilliant (Zimmer loves it, too).

Was it so brilliant that they didn't use it?

Exactly that. The action stuff was top-notch, but the patriotic stuff felt tongue-in-cheek. While entirely appropriate for the absurdity of the film, for some reason, Peterson thought that solemnity was called for. Than Goldsmith (with help from McNeely) provided also terrific action material, but the patritic material sounded sincere. And, of course, it was all the funnier for that sincerity. Newman wrote the wrong theme for the film, but based on later events, Peterson seems to have a terrible time getting the right scores from his composers. He gets interesting composers to score his action films, asks them to write something different...than fires them, because the score they wrote is so much more ambitious than the film he made.

I heard that Petersen thought Newman's score was just mocking the visuals.

He does seem to like firing his composers for one reason or another, and not staying loyal to those he does actually get on with.

Re - Bourne Ultimatum.

Too much of a (nervous and monotonous) ride and not enough film. The first one is still unbeaten.

Agreed. I loved all the movies, and the third one was certainly a real roller coaster ride. Thrilling stuff. But as you say, both the second and third movies ended up being mostly just that. Roller coaster rides. The more and more time goes on, the more I see the Bourne Identity as the best of the three. It uses a much more subtle and mysterious pace, and when the dramatic moments come they are the more richer for it. With the second and third movies, they just took the dramatic superhuman elements and made whole movies out of them. Thrilling stuff, on the edge of my seat, but I find that once I've watched them I feel they've burned themselves out. The first one is a movie in itself, and can stand alone as one you can watch many times.

I admit that the endless chases particularly in Ultimatum got a bit tiring. Also, There were many times when Bourne seemed to find a place for acquire information just a little too easily (still not entirely sure how he found out about Daniels - might need to watch that early bit again).

Still, I thought it should be commended that a trilogy of movies has managed to stand up so well against sequelitis. If this series had followed tradition, Ultimatum would be a pure popcorn movie with an IMDB rating of about 6.0, but it isn't.

Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi

Dreadful film. Gets worse every time.

Then why do you keep watching it?

"Take my traveller's checks to a competing resort" :(

It's classic. I still need to get that nifty R1 DVD that came out over a year ago.

Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi

Dreadful film. Gets worse every time.

Then why do you keep watching it?

I recently watched Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back back-to-back with my girlfriend. She'd mentioned she wanted to see the other films again as well. They're now showing on Dutch television. I felt it was my duty to protect her from the awfulness of the 2004 edition and show her the old LaserDisc rip I still have instead.

At least she was sitting next to me during the whole thing. Gave me something much more enjoyable to watch.

The dirty old perv that you probably are had the poor girl in a Princess Leia's ROTJ bikini or else some other pervy dutch outfit no doubt :D

Can't you remember introducing me to this lovely specimen in Amsterdam does many moons ago???

12427.jpg

Run, Fat Boy, Run- this film was surprisingly funny. I ended up seeing it on a weekend home from dorm life at College. It was not bad at all. I wanted to see Leatherheads, but I drew the short straw. Even though I wasn't looking forward to seeing the movie, I have to say that I am happy that I did. It was humorous, as I expected, but it had quite a bit of drama in it as well. I recommend it, if not for Simon Pegg, then for Hank Azaria! He played a prick in this film, but it was a very believable performace (as I think back to The Birdcage).

Shine a Light. Very good, though I missed the title song during the actual concert. And slightly annoying that whatever instrument was on screen was mixed considerably louder than the rest - and as soon as the visuals switched to another camera, you could barely hear it anymore.

We can't do that. We can't burn Mick Jagger.

There are many other directors who've released the original theatrical cuts restored to their movies but Lucas is the only one I know of that won't do it for the Original Trilogy.

Also over all my interest in Star Wars has really died down the last year or so. I just don't care to see them any more. The next time I buy the movies is when they are released on Blu-Ray ...after that I'm done with Star Wars.

They did re-release the originals not to long ago. It may have been a Best Buy Exclusive, and it was definitely limited. I have them in a nice tin case :mellow:

I'll probably buy them again in blu-ray as well.

They did re-release the originals not to long ago. It may have been a Best Buy Exclusive, and it was definitely limited. I have them in a nice tin case :mellow:

I'll probably buy them again in blu-ray as well.

They are not in anamorphic widescreen. and are not restored.

I think you were not a member yet to remember the 'talk' about it.