What is the last film you watched?

Mr. Breathmask

Batman Forever. The movie is not as good as I remembered it. However I do like Goldenthal's score. His theme for Batman is pretty good. Who else wants to see FSM do a box set for the first 4 Batman movies?

That's the one with Nicole Kidman right? I think it was the best of the old four.

I just saw Captain Blood on YouTube. I really love these kind of movies. Why aren't they made anymore? (The Count of Monte Cristo is the only modern one in the same vein).

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

L.A. Confidential. Fun.

Indeed, very entertaining. I wish more movies were like that. Did you know Curtis Hanson had complete freedom with this one?

I just saw Captain Blood on YouTube. I really love these kind of movies. Why aren't they made anymore? (The Count of Monte Cristo is the only modern one in the same vein).

Because nowadays there's POTC. :)

L.A. Confidential. Fun.

Indeed, very entertaining. I wish more movies were like that. Did you know Curtis Hanson had complete freedom with this one?

Yes, I've read that he somehow worked his way out of the Hollywood machine. And what a diverse resume. I think I'm not quite getting the full effect of L.A. Confidential seeing it now because many of its stars are nowadays action heroes. This film captured them when they were fresh.

Of course. Films like Pirates are the heirs to the films like Captain Blood, much as C.P.E. Bach and J.C. Bach were heirs to J.S. Bach. It's sad, but there's no denying it.

Alien: The problem is that it's a thriller. And with thrillers, there's nothing like the first time. Take away the mystery and you'll take way its essence and its purpose. It's why Ridley Scott said Aliens worked and Alien3 did not. Cameron changed the original concept and showed us action while Fincher merely repeated the first film. We already experienced that. We've seen the monster already.

Of course, Fincher's bloated style and swollen characters didn't help much either.

Alex

L.A. Confidential. Fun.

Yes, I've read that he somehow worked his way out of the Hollywood machine. And what a diverse resume. I think I'm not quite getting the full effect of L.A. Confidential seeing it now because many of its stars are nowadays action heroes. This film captured them when they were fresh.

Of course. Films like Pirates are the heirs to the films like Captain Blood, much as C.P.E. Bach and J.C. Bach were heirs to J.S. Bach. It's sad, but there's no denying it.

Don't you think movies like The Count of Monte Cristo, The Mask of Zorro or Prince of Thieves are more stilistically like the old adventure movies?

Shine A Light. Saw it in a great theater, huge screen, tremendous sound...probably one of the most memorable single screenings I've ever been at. This is not a concert film for DVD. Either in the theater, or not at all. I have never seen a more engaging concert film or filmed concert in my entire life. 5 of my favorite DPs manning cameras, under one of my favorite directors, capturing one of the greatest live bands ever....friggin' tanscendental. See it, and in the best theater you can find that's in driving distance.

I also saw I Am Legend again, which was still pretty good, as well as Parenthood, which is still great.

Also saw Shine a Light, and I agree with Morlock. Even as a casual Stones fan I enjoyed it. I wished there was more behind the scenes stuff like in the beginning though, because I thought it was great (even if a little forced at some points, with some of Marty's stuff, but nothing big). I laughed so hard at Keith's line about Clinton.

Leatherheads

Enjoyable, even though I think the film was marketed wrong (not that much actual football in it) and the tone shifts a bit during the film but it doesn't hurt the film much. Solid effort by Clooney and Krasinski and Newman's score was perfect for the film.

Also saw Shine a Light, and I agree with Morlock. Even as a casual Stones fan I enjoyed it. I wished there was more behind the scenes stuff like in the beginning though, because I thought it was great (even if a little forced at some points, with some of Marty's stuff, but nothing big).

I'm sure there will be several different DVD editions with tons of background material.

I laughed so hard at Keith's line about Clinton.

My favourite was: We can't do that. We can't burn Mick Jagger.

That was my reasoning after I saw it, about the bonus material.

So Keith, what's the first thing that comes into your head when you're on stage?

Wake up

Panic Room (***1/2)

A really great film. It cowers in the brilliance of Fincher's other work, but when looked at away from his other films, it is really very good. Forest Whitaker, Jared Leto, and Dwight Yokam are all fantastic. Unfortunately, they are never very good in anything else. Jodie Foster did a good performance, and the child was annoying but fit the part well. The film had good use of CGI and the cinematography was excellent, as is in all of Fincher's films. Shore's score is very effective as well, one of his better compositions IMO. Very enjoyable, and very original. A highly underrated work.

Road To Perdition (***1/2)

Fantastic film. Tom Hanks, Paul Newman, and Jude Law are perfect. Paul Newman should have won the Oscar, as well as Thomas Newman. Sam Mendes didn't do so well with Jarhead though, but I'm looking forward to Revolutionary Road.

Forest Whitaker, Jared Leto, and Dwight Yokam are all fantastic. Unfortunately, they are never very good in anything else.

Forest Whitaker is consistently good. Watch The Last King of Scotland.

Yes, I forgot about that one, he was superb. I always used to think he was a great actor, but after watching Vantage Point, I've come to realize Phone Booth, Panic Room, and The Last King Of Scotland are the only films I've enjoyed him in.

And there's nothing wrong at all with Jared Leto in Fight Club.

But Panic Room isn't a great film. It's mostly a good film, and in a way, it's a special film (the special features convey that rather well). There's a lot of craft in it, but it just doesn't end up being great as a film.

I never really thought Jared Leto was a great actor, but his work in Chapter 27 will probably change my mind.

And there's nothing wrong at all with Jared Leto in Fight Club.

But Panic Room isn't a great film. It's mostly a good film, and in a way, it's a special film (the special features convey that rather well). There's a lot of craft in it, but it just doesn't end up being great as a film.

It succeeds as a good popcorn flick.

I never really thought Jared Leto was a great actor, but his work in Chapter 27 will probably change my mind.

It shouldn't. All he did was gain 60 pounds and acted a little crazy. Christian Bale did the same thing for The Machinist, but he lost the 60 pounds, which is a lot harder to do. Bale also lost a lot of weight for Rescue Dawn, he is a far superior actor than Leto, and not because he loses weight for his roles.

Sweeney Todd: I was planning on seeing it in theatres, but I never had the time (or it just slipped my mind), so I finally had a chance to see it earlier. I really liked it. The themes of revenge and what people will do because of love were very strong and moving. The amount of gore was unecessary, but after the

shock of the first killing

, it wasn't so bad. ****/*****

I'd say that these are my favorite Burton films I've seen, in order from best to worst:

1. Big Fish

2. The Nightmare Before Christmas

3. Edward Scissorhands

4. Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

5. Corpse Bride

6. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

7. Sleepy Hollow

8. Batman

9. Pee-wee Herman's Big Adventure

10. Beetlejuice

11. Batman Returns

The music was great too. "The Opening Titles" and the end of "No Place Like London" were very Elfmanish, and enhanced the film wonderfully. The rest of the songs, specifically "Epiphany" and "A Little Priest" were great as well. And I also enjoyed all the instrumental material, as well. I found Depp's voice to be very good, actually, as was Carter's. I bought the soundtrack earlier, and I'm giving it a nice listen right now, and I'm very excited.

EDIT: I also noticed some similarities between Sweeney Todd and Alfred Hitchcock's Rope.

I also liked some of the dark humor scattered throughout. Like when

a man walks up to Sweeney's building, and Mrs. Lovett says "Oh good, more supplies!"

Also:

"The history of the world, my love...is those below serving those from above. How gratifying to know that for once that those above will serve those down below!"

And I have one question about the film:

The beggar woman, later revealed to be Lucy, kept ranting about evil and witchcraft, and kept calling for Beadle. Was she not aware that he was partially responsible for ruining her life?

Collapsed like a house of cards for me the second time. Looking at Fincher's resumé, I can't say I'm a fan. Fight Club is the only movie of Fincher that I need in my film collection.

1. Big Fish

Big Fish for me is too much of a 'feel good' movie. The movie only has one flavor to offer and I get tired of that after a while.

The only movie of Burton that I treasure is Ed Wood. Though I must admit, I haven't seen A Nightmare Before Christmas, The Corpse Bride or Sweeney Todd.

Alex

Any top 10 Burton list without Ed Wood really has little meaning. It is by far his best movie, and probably his only truly great film.

Any top 10 Burton list without Ed Wood really has little meaning. It is by far his best movie, and probably his only truly great film.

It is my favorite, followed closely by Sweeny. Nothing else in his resume comes close to those two.

Actually, that's what I meant to say. I corrected my previous post. Wow, that's three persons here that really like this film? That's a record, no?

Collapsed like a house of cards for me the second time.

How so?

I still love watching the long take of the burglars coming in, especially the take of Whitaker seeing the night light

Also regarding top 10 Burton lists. Technically you guys shouldn't be including Nightmare on there...

Collapsed like a house of cards for me the second time.

How so?

Because, for me, the element of the unknown was gone. The thrill or joy of not knowing what to expect is no longer there the second time. And if a film neglects to compensate for this with some other essential elements, I tend to think less about a movie. Today I think it's nothing more than a reasonable thriller. The other serious quibble I had is the actor Jared Leto, I thought his performance was overcooked. It simply went beyond belief and that distracted me big time. After only two viewings I thought the film no longer should sit on my shelves. The only Fincher that I enjoyed even more during the second watch is Fight Club. Not sure if I will still like the third time. I'm just not a huge fan of Fincher.

Alex

Collapsed like a house of cards for me the second time. Looking at Fincher's resumé, I can't say I'm a fan. Fight Club is the only movie of Fincher that I need in my film collection.

1. Big Fish

Big Fish for me is too much of a 'feel good' movie. The movie only has one flavor to offer and I get tired of that after a while.

The only movie of Burton that I treasure is Ed Wood. Though I must admit, I haven't seen A Nightmare Before Christmas, The Corpse Bride or Sweeney Todd.

Alex

I haven't seen Ed Wood (but I want to), though I doubt it can surpass what is, in my mind, the masterpiece of Big Fish.

Zodiac, Indeed.

Morlock- who thinks Panic Room, Se7en, Zodiac and Fight Club are all good for repeat viewings in their different ways.

What about Zodiac, Alex?

Only saw it once. I liked the first part, then suddenly, I stopped liking it. I think the movie's length had something to do with that. Also, it reminded me of All The President's Men but it wasn't as good. It missed something (Redford's charisma :joke: ). Who knows, maybe I should see it again.

Alex

I know that I gradually phazed out of the movie the first time around, but was totally with it the second time.

Hmm, I guess I won't be that lucky. I'm afraid I find the subject (the search for a serial killer) not fascinating enough.

Se7en is essentially a yarn. Zodiac is essentially a mood. Two very different motion pictures.

I am re-watching Rome. And I thought I loved it the first time!

Fincher is a flawless director as of yet, IMO. Aside from Alien 3, all his films are perfect. He disowns it though, cause he never had a script and was just thrown a scene and told to direct it on the spot.

The Game is one of the best thrillers I've ever seen.

Panic Room is also excellent.

Se7en is just perfect.

Fight Club is Fight Club.

Zodiac is an amazing piece of work.

Fincher is a perfectionist, probably the only director in Hollywood that is.

He disowns it though, cause he never had a script and was just thrown a scene and told to direct it on the spot.

I don't think that's true. He had a script but it wasn't finished. The first scripts didn't involve Ripley. Later Weaver changed her mind and agreed to reprise her character. During the whole scripting process there were too many writers and too many stories. Plus, during filming, Fincher was put under severe stress because the studios didn't like what he was doing and this ultimately led to him disowning the film.

BTW, somehow an allusion has just been made but comparing Fincher to Kubrick is ridiculous.

Fincher is close to perfect. So was Kubrick.

Never either on the cusp of perfection, but got very near.

Hardly.

Badly, Fight Club excluded. The rest of his movies are bounded by typical Hollywood conventions.

Annie Hall: Enjoyed it less than Manhattan, his previous film, which struck me as comparable but a little more subtle.

Nothing: A strange, individual comedy/fantasy by Vincenzo Natali (yes, the director of Cube). Natali once again succeeds to make a film with virtually nothing to speak of.

nothing.jpg

Alex

Hardly.

Badly, Fight Club excluded. The rest of his movies are bounded by typical Hollywood conventions.

Fight Club is a far less great movie than it is given credit for. It's mad as hell, and it's not gonna take it any longer. But it's missing something for my tastes, something beyond that. And the ending is just messy.

Annie Hall: Enjoyed it less than Manhattan, his previous film, which struck me as comparable but a little more subtle.

Manhatten actually came after Annie Hall....and I'm with you on this. Annie Hall is good, but Manhatten is Woody's real romantic comedy gem. I think the B&W adds a lot to it.